Greg Gabriel Talks Bears

Luke

Liked Posts:
I copped this from another site.
Video is over an hour long and don't have the time to listen so here is someone else's take.

1. Pagano’s defensive scheme is flawed. You can’t have linebackers trying to cover wide receivers. As he says, you can’t have 4.8 guy trying to run with a 4.5 guy. The slot receivers must be covered by DB. He said Rodgers saw this mismatch right out of the huddle, and made the easy TD throw with Danny chasing the WR. The other TD with Woods also.

2. Woods is just a special teams guys. We can’t expect him to anything close to what Smith does. Rodgers exploited him all day.

3. Fuller did a good job on covering Adams 1-on-1 most of the day. Conversely, GB took Robinson out of the game. Edge goes to the DB in this situation.

4. First quarter ball control was phenomenal for both teams. Each team had only one possession! That is unreal.

5. Bears lost the game because of red zone failures. Nagy says same thing. Bears were 1 of 5 and Packers were 4 for 4 TDs in red zone.

6. If Foles never replaced Trubisky, Bears would have probably won 10 games.

7. Trubisky will be back next year for sure. (He did not say how the hell this is supposed to happen. Are the Bears really going to put up $25-30 million to franchise him for one year? Or are they going to outbid all other teams when he goes FA? I will believe it when I see it.)

8. Trying to force the pass to ARob on 4th and 1 was a blunder. Trubisky should have run it himself or looked for a different receiver. He thinks it should have been a run with Monty.

9. For the game, his grade for the defense was “D” and offense “C” or “C-“.

10. All coaches participate in developing the game plan, but one guy is doing most of the play calling.

11. The Eagles deliberately lost their game Sunday (used backup QB in 4th quarter) to raise their draft position from 10th to 6th.

12. Nobody knows whether Nagy’s contract ends this year or not.

13. In the draft, the focus is on building the OL and DL and QB positions before worrying about anything else.

14. If the draft, Pace will choose the first 4 rounds himself, and rely on scouts reports for the later rounds.

15. One of the reasons Trubisky played better the last few weeks is that Lazor calls plays that build on Trubisky’s strengths rather than asking him to do things he is not very good at.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty good take actually.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Sando from the Athletic:

An agent I spoke with over the weekend thought Chicago could conceivably sign Trubisky for a couple of seasons at $10-12 million per year. Perhaps the rest of the NFC North might chip in to cover the costs? A coach who studied Trubisky’s third-down plays in recent weeks saw simple throws and concepts executed inconsistently — not much to build around.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Don’t agree on 6 at all. And on #8, I haven’t rewatched it, but it looked like AR was pretty much his only option on that play. There were a couple defenders keeping Trubs from just running too, if I remember correctly. That’s the issue with rollouts like that...it limits the options if the read isn’t there...

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Don’t agree on 6 at all. And on #8, I haven’t rewatched it, but it looked like AR was pretty much his only option on that play. There were a couple defenders keeping Trubs from just running too, if I remember correctly. That’s the issue with rollouts like that...it limits the options if the read isn’t there...
Are you The guy at the party that ruins a good story with facts?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Greg talking about drafting a QB in the later rounds with "starter traits." And keeping Mitch because "who ya gonna get that's better?"

This is the lack of vision that has killed this franchise forever. Forever approaching the QB position with the bandaid approach..... instead of FUCKING FIXING IT.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Greg talking about drafting a QB in the later rounds with "starter traits." And keeping Mitch because "you're not going to find anyone better."

This is the lack of vision that has killed this franchise forever. Forever approaching the QB position with the bandaid approach..... instead of FUCKING FIXING IT.

The problem is the people at the top don’t understand football, let alone how to judge good QB play.

They better not be fooled by trubisky or this is going to be an ugly few years.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Reminder, this is the guy who got fired for sucking as a scout.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
That 4th and 1 play everyone in the world saw what was coming. Except Mitch.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
Greg Gabriel was a horrible talent evaluator.

I doubt he's right on resigning Mitch.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That 4th and 1 was just a bad playcall. You can shit on Trubisky all you want for not making a play there, but he was set up to fail. And that's not a great way to approach the game when you have a shaky, inconsistent QB that tends to shit his pants.

What I'm trying to say is, fire Nagy into the Sun and be done with him.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Who is this guy?

coolio

Liked Posts:
Greg talking about drafting a QB in the later rounds with "starter traits." And keeping Mitch because "who ya gonna get that's better?"

exactly. How is taking a chance on a mid round rookie a worse option at this point. We have no QB taking us over the top on the roster

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:

Well yeah - Greg's job with the Bears was to FIND TALENT, and he failed at his job.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
That play call on 4th down was terrible. It left only Robinson as the only option. I think it was Graham that was running the in route or maybe a sloppy slant but was clearly not looking for the ball but also not setting any type of rub or pick on the play. And if memory serves me correctly, it was on the short side of the field so we crammed two routes against 4 or 5 defenders into a very small space... it had such a low likelihood of success that I was scratching my head on why they went that route.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:

Agreed. I think we have to see Pace kicked out though to fix it because Pace's last few attempts at fixing the QB have been garbage and so if we are going to do something other than a mid to late round QB, it needs to be someone else executing it than him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That 4th and 1 was just a bad playcall. You can shit on Trubisky all you want for not making a play there, but he was set up to fail. And that's not a great way to approach the game when you have a shaky, inconsistent QB that tends to shit his pants.

What I'm trying to say is, fire Nagy into the Sun and be done with him.

That play is because 4M cant be trusted to make plays in the pocket. Hence why yall was clamoring to roll him out. Well guess what, the problem is the other team knows it and when you roll out you cut down your options.

Granted Nagy should have run but those are the only pass plays 4M can execute well. Ones where there are only 1 or 2 reads because he is rolling to one side of the field.

Last edited: