Gregg Gone

Liked Posts:
It was just reported on Sportstalk Live that not only has Kevin Gregg lost his closer's job, but that he also won't be retained by the team last season.

After some critical postgame comments today, Gregg immediately walked into Theo's office to apologize, and was told he could be released in the coming days.

I'm pissed about this, as Gregg was one of my guys. Classless move by Theo in my opinion. I never expected him to retain his closer's role for next season, but the guy loved being a Cub and would have provided a valuable veteran presence in the bullpen next year.

F you, Theo. Still must have some ill will stemming from this: [video=youtube;bTpAD2oIli0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpAD2oIli0[/video]

Liked Posts:
And to say to the guy with 10 days left in the season that you don't want him back. Very professional.

J-E-R-K-O-F-F

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It was just reported on Sportstalk Live that not only has Kevin Gregg lost his closer's job, but that he also won't be retained by the team last season.

After some critical postgame comments today, Gregg immediately walked into Theo's office to apologize, and was told he could be released in the coming days.

I'm pissed about this, as Gregg was one of my guys. Classless move by Theo in my opinion. I never expected him to retain his closer's role for next season, but the guy loved being a Cub and would have provided a valuable veteran presence in the bullpen next year.

F you, Theo. Still must have some ill will stemming from this: [video=youtube;bTpAD2oIli0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpAD2oIli0[/video]

Lmao, always people trying to turn everything on the management. Gregg fucked up, and was never going to be a long-term piece, let's all get pissed abut how a struggling closer is losing his job.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Theo and his cronies severely lack professionalism.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's with instantly blaming only Theo Epstein and not faulting Kevin Gregg for his part in it?

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs

Theo Epstein upset with Kevin Gregg for voicing complaints to media...will sleep on it but is considering releasing him...

Gregg thought Sveum was replacing him as closer with Strop....instead just giving Strop a look or two.Gregg mis-understood and went to media

Epstein very upset..called Gregg into Sveum's office...Gregg eventually apologized...Theo was asked if Gregg was combative..

Theo's response: "No, I was."

Theo joked (sort of) went almost 2 years without incident..now 3 in 5 days..

And I dont believe they will release Gregg...but Theo pretty ticked..

I'm not sure how Gregg mis-understood..Dale told us "yeah, maybe Strop once or twice." Theo says he said the same to Gregg

Theo: "I told him how disappointed I was with him given the way we treated him this year. Bringing him back after 1st stint didnt go well."

Theo: "After a couple min he underdstood that he was wrong and apologized profusely."

Theo said he told Gregg he would sleep on it and decide in morning if he'll be released..Long night for Gregg coming up. Course 1 week to go

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo says he is not happy with hitting in the two spot is a sign of a serious character flaw in Rizzo but Gregg saying that it is unprofessional to move him out of the closer for a game or two is on management?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Guess Gregg reached his $500K performance bonus for finishing 50 games today, too bad Fisch's "Tommy Nickels" didn't hae Theo release him yesterday.

:cubstroll:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
LOL at being mad at Theo. He's been bad the past few weeks...why not give a younger guy a chance to prove himself? Not like this team is going to the playoffs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL at being mad at Theo. He's been bad the past few weeks...why not give a younger guy a chance to prove himself? Not like this team is going to the playoffs.

With one week left in a lost season?

Most of us have jobs, and there's a professionalism that is required. If you're getting let go, I would hope you know about it before the last week of the season.

Unfortunately for Theo Baseball, he lacks professionalism in regards to these situations.

And in regards to the Rizzo situation, complaining about where you're placed in a lineup when you're hitting 230 is dumb and does signal the need for reality to sink in.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Yes... typically that is what you do, experiment with players who could actually conceivably be a part of the team's long-term picture. And Gregg's comments were greatly unwarranted.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes... typically that is what you do, experiment with players who could actually conceivably be a part of the team's long-term picture. And Gregg's comments were greatly unwarranted.

Shouldn't the experimenting have been going on all season, not all of a sudden with a week left saying your out the door and not coming back.

The fact that this type of management is OK is appalling.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Most of us have jobs, and there's a professionalism that is required. If you're getting let go, I would hope you know about it before the last week of the season.

Unfortunately for Theo Baseball, he lacks professionalism in regards to these situations.

And in regards to the Rizzo situation, complaining about where you're placed in a lineup when you're hitting 230 is dumb and does signal the need for reality to sink in.

Gregg's complaint was that they were going to let Pedro Strop close a game or two. His response, like Rizzo's, should have been exactly what Carlos Villanueva has said time and time again which is he will do whatever is best for the team. The lack of professionalism was pretty one sided in this incident.

And on top of that the Cubs specifically pitched him to the point we he earned a performance bonus before they made that move.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gregg's complaint was that they were going to let Pedro Strop close a game or two. His response, like Rizzo's, should have been exactly what Carlos Villanueva has said time and time again which is he will do whatever is best for the team. The lack of professionalism was pretty one sided in this incident.

And on top of that the Cubs specifically pitched him to the point we he earned a performance bonus before they made that move.

The complaint is at this juncture in the season, you're going to bench arguably the most effective reliever for the Cubs at this point?

Gregg could have handled it better, but Theo Baseball could have handled it better as well, moving Gregg somewhere at the deadline for a PTBNL.

Judging the by unusual number of botched trades by Theo Baseball and his cronies in two years, forgive me for doubting Theo Baseball's professionalism.

And the $500,000 had to have been an oversight by someone. I fully expect payroll to be cut another $5M for that and ticket prices to rise by $5 each.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Yes. You give younger players a shot. Gregg wasn't coming back next season. Actually he was probably going to be traded at the deadline if it wasn't for an implode against the Cardinals.

Even if they would have traded Gregg for someone, Theo haters would have crucified the move saying he should be here in the future.

Okay, say you've been good at Fareway stocking Produce. Yet they want to give someone else a chance once or twice to give them some experience for their future... Do you go upstairs and blast management for that?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The complaint is at this juncture in the season, you're going to bench arguably the most effective reliever for the Cubs at this point?

Gregg could have handled it better, but Theo Baseball could have handled it better as well, moving Gregg somewhere at the deadline for a PTBNL.

Judging the by unusual number of botched trades by Theo Baseball and his cronies in two years, forgive me for doubting Theo Baseball's professionalism.

And the $500,000 had to have been an oversight by someone. I fully expect payroll to be cut another $5M for that and ticket prices to rise by $5 each.

Zack, can we ban this guy? I think it is KB running this account.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yes. You give younger players a shot. Gregg wasn't coming back next season. Actually he was probably going to be traded at the deadline if it wasn't for an implode against the Cardinals.

Even if they would have traded Gregg for someone, Theo haters would have crucified the move saying he should be here in the future.

Okay, say you've been good at Fareway stocking Produce. Yet they want to give someone else a chance once or twice to give them some experience for their future... Do you go upstairs and blast management for that?

Do they have an upstairs at Fisch's Fareway plant?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The "benching" was not a permanent thing through the rest of the season according to Kevin Gregg himself
They want to get a look at Pedro, but they're not going to take anything from me either
Nobody wanted Gregg according to this:
One thing to keep in mind about the Cubs and Kevin Gregg: The team tried hard to trade him on July 31 but couldn't find a taker. Phil Rogers (@ChiTribRogers)

Okay glad to see you can admit that you are quick to judge a situation in one way without actually analyzing it first.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The people who would have criticized a Gregg trade would have been idiots. I never wanted Gregg, but he was a pleasant surprise, and I feel that should have done him a service by trading him to a contender.

In regards to my job, I feel that my manager would tell me what was going on, and if not, I'd probably ask. The relationship is very convoluted at the sports level, so I could see where a missed message could occur.

Gregg took it too extreme, I'll admit.

Lets not act like Theo Baseball and his cronies have been models of professionalism in Chicago.