Hanie wants a shot at a starting job

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anyone catch this article in the Sun-Times?

DALLAS — Caleb Hanie wouldn’t mind being a Bear again. But he’d rather play elsewhere so he can compete for a starting job.

‘‘If I didn’t have any better options, I would love to stay,’’ Hanie said Thursday. ‘‘I love Chicago, and the organization has been good to me. But if an opportunity comes up, I wouldn’t shy away from that.’’

Hanie is a restricted free agent, which means the Bears can match any offer for him and limit his mobility. They likely would place a tender on him that would net them a second-round pick if a team signs him away. In 2010, that tender was worth $1.75 million, significantly higher than the $390,000 he earned.

Undrafted out of Colorado State, Hanie was the third-string quarterback, but he entered the NFC title game after Jay Cutler was injured and veteran Todd Collins was benched. He made the game interesting, leading two touchdown drives. But he also was intercepted twice, including one that was returned by Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji for a touchdown.

‘‘You always have that confidence in yourself, but you have to prove to yourself and everyone else that the doubt is gone,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m in my third year, and it’s when guys make that transition and compete for jobs.

‘‘But if I had to stick around, if they put a tender on me, I would be fine with that.’’

Hanie said he has appreciated his friendship with Cutler, particularly when he was demoted from backup to third-string around midseason.

‘‘It was hard,’’ he said. ‘‘I didn’t say much. Just went about my business as usual, and I tried to get better. But Jay was very supportive. He said, ‘Don’t worry about it.’ He was encouraging. He reiterated his belief in me.’’

Hanie said Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz was ‘‘rough on me.’’

‘‘He didn’t take it easy, so that was helpful,’’ Hanie said, noting his confidence in learning one of the more difficult offenses in the NFL.

As for Cutler, Hanie said he’s ‘‘shocked’’ by critics saying Cutler lacks toughness.

‘‘I’m sure it stings a little bit, especially from his peers,’’ Hanie said. ‘‘But he’s fine. I’m sure he’s moved on. He’s a professional, and he knows this comes with the territory.’’

Source

Thoughts?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Won't get it.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has a better chance to compete with the Cards, Panthers, Vikings, Dolphins, etc. He will have a shot to become a starter if he works hard this offseason to improve.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Get the league and NFLPA to create anew CBA and Convince a few teams teams to offer a 2nd round pick and he could get it. Otherwise, not happening.

thedude33

Liked Posts:
Of course he wants a shot but if they tender him I don't see a team giving up a 2nd. The Bears will probably say he's not worth $1.75 M, though.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
After he plays decent against a team dropping max coverage against him, he thinks he can start ? LOL ok.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hey..personally, I like the kid and hope he stays...He made some rough throws, but made some great ones, too...and he didn't just throw against prevent D...

Let's face it, the dude's most likely just as good as several QBs that started games last year.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Won't get it.
This
He wasn't that good in the NFCCG and he made some ugly decisions. Some of the passes he completed weren't even good decisions

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This
He wasn't that good in the NFCCG and he made some ugly decisions. Some of the passes he completed weren't even good decisions

Don't know if you remember...but no QB was. In fact, Hanie didn't just have the best QB Rat of Chicago QBs...his was better than Rodgers' as well.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He is also a player with limited experience, you always expect that player to make those bad decisions like not seeing Raji come back on the zone blitz. Those are the reasons you want the veteran backup at times over the potential guy.. just not a veteran who is worthless.

He felt he could start before the game, he just had no chance too. Didn't he throw some good balls against Carolina, that's all the opportunity he gets. Some scouts like Mike Mayock felt after 3 years in the NFL training could be a starting caliber player because he has all the good tools but was raw out of Colorado State.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This

Yeah, he came so close to tying the game...just terrible.:facepalm:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not calling him bad Joehawks, don't throw me into that group of meathead Bears fans. He's not a starter in the league IMO, but he'll make a damn fine backup.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils

He was also the sole reason why we lost the game. Do you not remember the hand-off he had to BJ Raji that hit him right in the chest?

He's a pretty big dude to not notice dropping into a zone.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He was also the sole reason why we lost the game.

lmao..>Rush...you're better than this. The sole reason we lost? not hardly.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe we should have traded Hanie to the CFL.

Some team will fall for him and he'll be Rob Johnson 2.0 but with less of a resume.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
lmao..>Rush...you're better than this. The sole reason we lost? not hardly.

4th and 4, he threw an interception to end the game.

He was the sole reason why the game ended? Is that wrong?

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
4th and 4, he threw an interception to end the game.

He was the sole reason why the game ended? Is that wrong?

yes, it's wrong...it may have been the last play....but it's not the sole reasonthe game ended. If our WRs would've played better, that play would've been a run.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hanie did a hell of alot more than Cutler's piss poor 1st half.

At least the kid gave us a shot.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
yes, it's wrong...it may have been the last play....but it's not the sole reasonthe game ended. If our WRs would've played better, that play would've been a run.

Throwing a game ending interception is the sole reason the game ended.

Hanie also threw an awful INT to Raji. Sure he didn't play bad, but he didn't play good either. Only reason he did decent was because GB wasn't running their defense against him. Capers said he was going to make Hanie read coverages to beat him, which obviously led to 2 interceptions. Cutler was being blitzed the entire time he was in. Hanie wasn't. That is straight from the defensive coordinators' mouth.