Hawks Are Too Slow to Realize who They Are

E Runs

Liked Posts:
Chicago Tribune:

Tip to this season’s Blackhawks: Stop trying to be last season’s Blackhawks.

You’re not that team. Stop thinking you are. Stop living off it, too.

The Hawks just dropped under .500 overall. They just lost their fourth straight at home to plummet to a sorry 4-7 in the United Center. They have the worst winning percentage in the Central Division and second-worst in the Western Conference.

And jeez, the way they blew it Wednesday night, losing to sub-.500 Phoenix 2-1 in their own building the same way they lost to sub-.500 Edmonton 2-1 in their own building the game before. Listen, “One Goal’’ is supposed to be a slogan, not the end of the scoring.

Play like this is your job. Play like this matters. But mostly, play faster.

Skate faster. Pass faster. Shoot faster.

Fight to get to the rebounds in the slot faster. Heck, fight to get to the slot faster, period.

Move the puck out of your own zone faster, and for God’s sake, get to the boards faster and win the puck faster.

This is a puck-possession team that almost never has the puck and rarely does something good when it does. There are long stretches where they pass as if Mike Martz is behind the bench. This just doesn’t look like last season’s champions, and that’s the point: They aren’t that team.

Get over it, you and them. Everybody, wake up. The Hawks can’t explain it because they have no idea who they are.

So, here’s the deal: Joel Quenneville needs to take this team back a couple years to when he replaced Denis Savard. Let me be clear: I’m not blaming Quenneville here. I think he’s the best bench coach in the league and one of the smartest coaches altogether. I’m just thinking perspective and approach here.

Four games into that 2008-09 season, Quennville came in with new ideas for a new team: He wanted everything done faster.

Speed is the most intimidating weapon in hockey. Making plays at top speed is what champions do. See the ’85 Oilers, the ‘90s Avalanche, and the last 15 years of the Red Wings for details. That was Queeneville’s point, and he even wanted players to make mistakes faster so at least they could recover faster defensively. Get back to their zone quickly to make themselves available to move the puck quickly the other way. The concept was simple: If the Hawks have the puck, the other team can’t score.

And the Hawks had the puck, believe me. Had the puck a lot. They became the fastest team in the league because they went tape-to-tape better than anybody.

The concept, the approach and the teaching methods were new back then. Fun, too. The young Hawks took to the idea of aggressively capturing the puck and owning it, refusing to give it up until the red light went on. Young, undecorated players listened eagerly to Quenneville, then executed his plan all the way to the Western Conference final. They had done something.

We all know what happened last season. Same approach, better execution. The Hawks didn’t just do something, they did everything. Now they are doing everything they can to piddle on that wondrous accomplishment because they are nothing like that team.

They are not that team, period.

Almost half the roster was turned over. Depth and character were lost. New bodies are being integrated. The best players, however, were retained in Stan Bowman’s version of “Apuckalypse Now.’’ Talking to you, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook. You guys haven’t played consistently as if you are the best players on the Hawks. Jeez, most of you haven’t played as if you could even be the best players in Rockford.

It’s not that the Stanley Cup champions can’t defend their glorious title. It’s that this team is not the Stanley Cup champion. That group is gone. See ya. Au revoir. This group is a new team that has won nothing.

This needs to become 2008-09 again. Some good, young talent. Some potential depth and heart. Some possibilities in goal. Some chance to become a team. Quenneville has to get their attention and teach them the basics of the system all over again, and fast.

maryo

Liked Posts:
well shit stu, somebody's gotta say it.. we all know the team doesn't realize it yet.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
This and the Blue Line last night. So spot on.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
Maybe the Blackhawks should ask Dennis Green who they are?

Ton

Liked Posts:
Holy crap... some of those sentences are nearly word for word what I was saying in the past few chats.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This and the Blue Line last night. So spot on.

Yep. Sam ripped the shit out of our core, ESPECIALLY the letter-wearing members.

TJD

You’re not that team. Stop thinking you are. Stop living off it, too.

I think this is the most important thing everybody (players, coaches, management, fans) needs to remember.

That being said, a lack of effort or taking shifts off does not have anything to do with last years team.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Not when you're collecting millions of guaranteed money a year.

I give our players more credit than that. I can guarantee each and every one of you that the players on this team are not rolling around in their banks laughing at the fans right now. I bet each and everyone of them are taking this horrible start rather badly themselves WHICH is in their heads making it worse.

Feels like there are an accumulation of issues right now with the team not just one or two problems. However I personaly don't think any of it has to do with ego and don't think thats a problem with these players. That's just me though I don't get that impression from them.

TJD

I give our players more credit than that. I can guarantee each and every one of you that the players on this team are not rolling around in their banks laughing at the fans right now. I bet each and everyone of them are taking this horrible start rather badly themselves WHICH is in their heads making it worse.

Feels like there are an accumulation of issues right now with the team not just one or two problems. However I personaly don't think any of it has to do with ego and don't think thats a problem with these players. That's just me though I don't get that impression from them.

I posted that out of spite, didn't think before I pressed "add reply".

It just seems by their on ice demeanors that they don't care, as that's how they give effort at times.

Still early.

R K

It just seems by their on ice demeanors that they don't care, as that's how they give effort at times.

Still early.

HUH? I sit about 15ft from the ice and the demeanor is that of Frustration.

And talking to many of them after the game last night I don't know where that observation comes from in the first place. They don't care if they lose? Really?

Trev..... <shaking head>

TJD

And talking to many of them after the game last night I don't know where that observation comes from in the first place. They don't care if they lose? Really?

Trev..... <shaking head>

When they are not skating hard and playing lazy and taking shifts off, that gives off the impression that they don't care.

Sir Mike of Burbs

Liked Posts:

Trev..... <shaking head>

I sit about 5 ft from my TV and I agree with you. They are for sure frustrated. They have high expectations. One bad play and they seem to sink into a bad funk. I personally think they all need more time playing together. It's easy to say "oh they suck" as a fan. But realize they have so many new pieces to the team. The 09-10 team didn't just win it in one year. They all grew together to get to that point. That's what this team needs in my mind. To start their season with so many games is tough. Not giving them a excuse but it has to be hard. But to say they don't care is wrong. Tell Duncan Keith he doesn't care and doesn't skate hard after he plays 28 minutes in a game. I'm sure that will go over well. I'm sure the 1 on 1 talks Q had with them will do something. There's a lot more to this then can be explained on a forum. And I'm tired of typing for the moment.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I sit about 5 ft from my TV and I agree with you. They are for sure frustrated. They have high expectations. One bad play and they seem to sink into a bad funk. I personally think they all need more time playing together. It's easy to say "oh they suck" as a fan. But realize they have so many new pieces to the team. The 09-10 team didn't just win it in one year. They all grew together to get to that point. That's what this team needs in my mind. To start their season with so many games is tough. Not giving them a excuse but it has to be hard. But to say they don't care is wrong. Tell Duncan Keith he doesn't care and doesn't skate hard after he plays 28 minutes in a game. I'm sure that will go over well. I'm sure the 1 on 1 talks Q had with them will do something. There's a lot more to this then can be explained on a forum. And I'm tired of typing for the moment.

Good post. Welcome to the boards. Love the screen name. Don't let pmx or Jako get you.

R K

Good Post.

Trev they are not taking shifts off. They are not skating as if they don't care. They have lost 7 games by one fucking goal. Stop and think about what you are typing before you type it.

Taking shifts off and playing like you don't care gets your ass kicked on almost any given night. There has been only one game like that so far this year.

They must have been skating like they didn't care last year when Calgary was up 5--0, then all of a sudden they cared.

Purple.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:

Still early.

Not really - almost 25% of our games for this year have now been played - I wouldn't call that early. Turco and Toews were quoted in the Sun-Times the other day saying the same thing - that at this point they can't brush off all these losses to just a bad start. One thing I like on the schedule is the last 2 weeks in January - we only play like 3 games in 14 days. That will be a good time to get some strength back for the final push assuming we're still in the hunt at that point.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:

I know they care, they are professionals. They have been playing this game for just about their entire lives.

That said, I will not accept any excuse. I was making some earlier. There is a point though. The Stosh Cup team had been playing together for many years, save for a few pieces. A good chunk of them played together from juniors.

Again, they are pros. No excuses. Get over it. Your buddies are no longer here. Show you have talent and drive and heart. The "new" guys on your wing or on the blue line or in the net are playing their asses off. They want to achieve that which you did not 5 months ago.

I trust this team is just as good as last years. I truly do.

I think the road trip will do them well.

R K

Not really - almost 25% of our games for this year have now been played - I wouldn't call that early. Turco and Toews were quoted in the Sun-Times the other day saying the same thing - that at this point they can't brush off all these losses to just a bad start. One thing I like on the schedule is the last 2 weeks in January - we only play like 3 games in 14 days. That will be a good time to get some strength back for the final push assuming we're still in the hunt at that point.

FYI the year the Penguins won the Cup they were 20-20-7 at one point.

It's still fucking early....

82 games is a long season.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
Me personally, I've seen some sloppy play, and bad bounces. To say these guys have no identity or just dont care, that's Special person.

the one torpedo towards the whole team make-up/playign together for years theory....why, if that is so important, do so many teams make that big push to get "the missing part" at the trade deadline????? Would you really want to disrupt team make-up and bring in an unknown???