Help for Oline??

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
In all the websites I visit, there still seems to be almost a complete lack of information on bringing in any players to improve the Oline.
Yes, we added many new coaches and that's very encouraging.
BUT, I'm not sure if we're still counting on our current starters from last year.
Those starters were pretty bad, and I'm not sure that just new coaches will make that much of a difference.

Now, it seems we've got very little cap space remaining.

Doesn't it seem odd, that with the addition of so many players on both the D and O, that we've added almost nobody to the Oline.?
I remember the phrase, "It all starts upfront."

Am I missing something?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The draft?

Pace’s MO has always been to fill holes with free agency and then go BPA in the draft. So while there’s a good chance the Bears draft some Oline I think more than anything Pace is just banking on guys playing better and new coaching. I’m sure we'll get a couple low end vets signed here at some point. But the real improvement needs to be the four starters we have returning.

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
Pace’s MO has always been to fill holes with free agency and then go BPA in the draft. So while there’s a good chance the Bears draft some Oline I think more than anything Pace is just banking on guys playing better and new coaching. I’m sure we'll get a couple low end vets signed here at some point. But the real improvement needs to be the four starters we have returning.
Isn't that sad?
Our Oline was so "under performing" and yet we're looking for the draft with very limited cap space, or low end vets.
Gives me the impression that Pace undervalues the importance of a strong Oline.
The Bears previously spent scads on Tight Ends with not so good results.
So this year we go after more of the same and yet we're still looking for help on the Oline.
To me that's a mistake.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

That is a hell of a risk.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm baffled by the inactivity on the O line as well.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
They must truly believe that Heistand was the problem. It is baffling that they haven’t brought in any competition whatsoever along the o line. Not only that but we have let depth pieces walk. At this point we need a new swing tackle a backup interior o lineman and somebody that can compete to start at one of the guard positions. But hey at least we signed Jimmy Graham on day one.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Isn't that sad?
Our Oline was so "under performing" and yet we're looking for the draft with very limited cap space, or low end vets.
Gives me the impression that Pace undervalues the importance of a strong Oline.
The Bears previously spent scads on Tight Ends with not so good results.
So this year we go after more of the same and yet we're still looking for help on the Oline.
To me that's a mistake.

I don’t think he undervalues the Oline at all. There’s two second round picks and two highly paid tackles on there. You can question his plan or his talent evaluation skills, but to say he undervalues it is to ignore the facts.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right now the real;y good year that Massie and Leno had in 2018 is the outlier.

We have seen way more inconsistent and not very good from them, than we have see 2018 levels replicated.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
he may not be done adding vet depth with cheap deals but it does seem like they are content with bars, coward, levin battling for the RG spot. I gotta hope castillo is the one saying he's good with what he has and just needs backups otherwise its another lost season on the oline.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Right now the real;y good year that Massie and Leno had in 2018 is the outlier.

We have seen way more inconsistent and not very good from them, than we have see 2018 levels replicated.

Hows the draft look for tackles?

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
A QB that is consistent can help an oline operate more efficiently. If the linemen have no idea what the QB is doing behind them, it looks like the 2019 Bears. At times there were pockets that Mitch could step up into, but he ran outside instead. Mitch didn’t trust them, and they didn’t trust him...

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
A QB that is consistent can help an oline operate more efficiently.

The problems were more much worse in the running game and that had nothing to do with Mitch. opposing teams weren't even run blitzing.

I certainly thought we were going to invest in a solid RG in free agency, but it appears we only had cap space to fill 2 of our 3 major holes in FA.

If you have to leave any position to fill in the draft, interior OL is probably one that you can, but with OL being the 2nd worst position group (behind TE), its certainly a scary proposition.

Pace likes to live on the edge, that is for sure..

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
They must really think that the main problem was the coaching.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
In all the websites I visit, there still seems to be almost a complete lack of information on bringing in any players to improve the Oline.
Yes, we added many new coaches and that's very encouraging.
BUT, I'm not sure if we're still counting on our current starters from last year.
Those starters were pretty bad, and I'm not sure that just new coaches will make that much of a difference.

Now, it seems we've got very little cap space remaining.

Doesn't it seem odd, that with the addition of so many players on both the D and O, that we've added almost nobody to the Oline.?
I remember the phrase, "It all starts upfront."

Am I missing something?

Wait a minute.........we need offensive linemen? Nooooooooo

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t think he undervalues the Oline at all. There’s two second round picks and two highly paid tackles on there. You can question his plan or his talent evaluation skills, but to say he undervalues it is to ignore the facts.

Yeah we actually were expected to have a good o-line going into last year with the 4 we have now and K.Long at RG.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Pace has used the draft for OL in the past (Whitehair and Daniels), I think we see it again this year. I'm not sure he goes OT in rd 2, since the 2 OT's have been fine until last year, but I think he takes the best G on the board. It shores up your interior and allows them to BPA with the second pick at #50. I'm not sure they take a tackle this year, unless one falls them at #43. I think they need to draft tackle next year when they have more draft capital to play with.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
They must really think that the main problem was the coaching.

Other than at RG, yes. And also we are kind of locked in when you look at the roster.

Whitehair is solid and they believe in Daniels. We are paying too much money at OT to make any changes there until next season.

I still think they add a FA G somehow, they just have to, and are probably working on cap space now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
he may not be done adding vet depth with cheap deals but it does seem like they are content with bars, coward, levin battling for the RG spot. I gotta hope castillo is the one saying he's good with what he has and just needs backups otherwise its another lost season on the oline.

Maybe Castillo gave Pace some good insight on just how deep he thinks the o-line position will be in the draft and being the main guy to run the o-line through some of the drills at the combine. Still taking a risk but i can see some good ones still sitting there at #43 and #50.

There's still plenty of starting level Guards in free agency so maybe he's got some offers out there for some guys and is waiting on them to do an ARob re-signing or restructuring a vet.