Here He Comes...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No not Bryant...

@CSNChicago: .@thekapman is reporting Jorge Soler has been recalled and will join the #Cubs tomorrow in Cincinnati. More on CSNChicago.com later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The next of the Cubs' top prospects is on the way to the major leagues.

According to CSN's David Kaplan, the Cubs will bring up outfielder Jorge Soler from Triple-A Iowa. He's expected to play left field and be with the club on Tuesday in Cincinnati.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Can't wait to see how he does. I don't expect him to "crush it" per say but I think he is going to do well from the start. He is a much more patient hitter than most of the other prospects and I am excited to see a real bat in the OF. I like that he is coming up now even though it was expected. Same thing as Baez, gives him a shot to get his feet wet and allow him to make adjustments over the winter. Hope to see him in RF for a long time

Crazy to think the Cubs have had 2 real top prospects called up this season, and 3 of their top 5, and arguably the top 2 are still sitting in the system. Exciting times

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! OUR PUIG!!!!!!!!!!!

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So where will he bat? The 2,4,5 spot? My guess is he is the cleanup hitter.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I would guess 5th or 6th unless they move Baez out of the 2.

Sounds right. I don't know about his speed, so I doubt he would be at the top 2. And Rizzo and Castro probably not moving.... So yeah, 5-6 would be perfect.

I hope he is going to be good. If the others can adjust soon, we will have a pretty decent lineup for the next few years.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds right. I don't know about his speed, so I doubt he would be at the top 2. And Rizzo and Castro probably not moving.... So yeah, 5-6 would be perfect.

I hope he is going to be good. If the others can adjust soon, we will have a pretty decent lineup for the next few years.

Soler is the safer prospect. He doesnt K at an extreme rate and walks at a well above average rate. He is very polished for his age and is built like an NFL Wide Reciever. He can run. But, power and average will be the best part of his game. KLaw saw him in the AFL this summer and called him a bigger, faster Puig. Strong arm in the OF as well but not as strong as some suggested a couple of years ago. The only problem he has had is injuries. The guy is extremely well balanced at the plate and the Cubs need that desperately.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Depends on what the main goal is the rest of the way. I mean Soler is the much better pick to plug into the #2 spot than Baez as he should have a much higher OBP. However, it may just be a great idea to keep getting Baez as many AB's as possible. I'd probably bat Soler 4 or 5. Depends on if they want to move Castro.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on what the main goal is the rest of the way. I mean Soler is the much better pick to plug into the #2 spot than Baez as he should have a much higher OBP. However, it may just be a great idea to keep getting Baez as many AB's as possible. I'd probably bat Soler 4 or 5. Depends on if they want to move Castro.

I dont see any way they will move Castro out the 4 this late in the year for an unproven kid that is just getting a taste of the majors. The reason I dont hink 5th is cause I believe Renteria will put Valubuena there to break up back to back righties. We will see. This is year placement of our prospects means almost nothing to what our lineup will look like next year

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I have to hand it to management, this year just got a lot more interesting.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Did he make it to a plane to play today?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: Update on Soler RT @GDubCub Renteria says he expects Soler to play right field, bat 5th or 6th in his debut Wednesday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: Update on Soler RT @GDubCub Renteria says he expects Soler to play right field, bat 5th or 6th in his debut Wednesday.

So guessing:

Cog LF
Baez 2B
Rizzo 1B
Castro SS
Soler RF
Valbuena 3B
Alcantara CF
Castillo C

To be honest I wish the would move Rizzo out of the 3 hole.

Something like
Cog LF
Baez 2B
Soler RF
Rizzo 1B
Castro SS
Valbuena 3B
Alcantara CF
Castillo C

That way they can use Rizzo to protect Soler's bat til the end of the year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would put Rizzo in the 2 hole if I moved him out of 3 but I know some people dont agree with my line of thought for it.