Hester to be inducted into HOF.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not allowing defenders to sack a qb below the knees was a rule specifically put in because of Tom Brady.

Not really the same. They changed the rules to help Brady and QBs. They changed the rules to try and limit what Hester and Taylor did best because of their dominance.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Not really the same. They changed the rules to help Brady and QBs. They changed the rules to try and limit what Hester and Taylor did best because of their dominance.
I know

But the guy said they never changed the rules because of brady; technically they did.

End of day; Hester is a HOF and should already be in

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I mean, Tom was the best to ever do it, but in truth, they never changed the rules of the game because of Tom Brady.

Only 2 players who come to mind who individually actually forced rule changes were Devin Hester and Lawrence Taylor.

Tuck Rule?
Deflation Inspections?
Hitting a QB below the knees?
Last name on jersey rule if two players have same last name?
Lost down rule on batted ball back to you?

Do you ever fact check yourselve ya dumbledork?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I do not recall, did Hester ever do a spin move on one of his punt returns?

13:44 mark (not working at current location for me)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know I’m going to get shit on for this, but is he really a hall of famer? Outside of special teams he never really left a mark. And special teams is pretty niche itself. Of course it’s important, but they don’t have near the impact on the game as the offense and defense. There are also great long snappers who played forever. I dont really think of them as hall of famers though. Maybe thats a bad comparison. And sure, I’m happy he is in. If it had never happened I would’ve understood why though.

And I’m sorry, I keep reading things to the effect of “he changed the game.” He really didn’t. He was an all time kick and punt returner but that’s a bit of an overstatement. Every good player changes the game in some way. Every good player changes the way a team approaches their gameplan. That doesn’t make them a hall of famer.

It’s like a punter or kicker getting in. Sure, I’m fine with it. I don’t care enough really. Hester is one of if not the best ever at what he did. It was niche though. It’s like Ray Guy getting in. I can see the case. I also sort of see why people would be opposed to it. There are a lot of really good positional players who will never sniff the hall who actually had more of an impact on the game than a guy like Hester ever could.

Peanut Tillman will almost certainly never be in the hall of fame. He had a way bigger impact and was a way more important player than Hester ever was though.
There are place kickers in the Hall of Fame, who didn’t make a mark outside of special teams.

I would argue that Hester had more of an impact on games than a lot of guys who played offense or defense

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
He was an electric player with dozens of incredible, jaw-dropping plays on his highlight reel. He deserves to be in the hall of fame because he’s famous for what he did on the field. I don’t need to overthink it beyond that.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People forget the pressers in the week before playing Chicago. "Will you kick it to Hester?" was always being asked and every team had to actually game plan.

Every now and then, they'd make a mistake and pay for it.

When you have to plan to surrender yardage by kicking away from Hester, you are changing the starting field position for the Chicago offense.

Congrats to the G.O.A.T. Well deserved!

Devin himself says he hopes it opens the door for other greats at special teams to receiving consideration.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
They didn't change the rules because of Hester's dominance.

The NFL put rules in place basically eliminating the kickoff because of safety concerns. They didn't like players running full speed 60 yards down field and colliding with each other.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Too bad FirstTimer isn’t here to eat his crow on this. He was so against him making it.
He was so insufferable about it, too. I remember him insisting to me that Hester was about as likely to make the HoF as Steve Tasker lol. Someone should find that thread and necro it.