1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
:bigfinger:

patg006

Liked Posts:
Are all the :fap: squad gonna get pissy when Wainwright gets pulled again against the cubs for the Cards' series after?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta starting is about the most interesting thing in this series. He looked good the first time out, and hopefully he can build on that Friday.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta starting is about the most interesting thing in this series. He looked good the first time out, and hopefully he can build on that Friday.

I hope but he is just so wildly inconsistent that I don't get my hopes up with him.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:

Pretty much. I will be interested in seeing Arrieta as I missed his first start. Hoping he does good!

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Arrieta starting is about the most interesting thing in this series.

You nailed it with that statement. What are the real plans for this guy if he does pitch well in your opinion ?

We know he has good stuff when he can command it. Will he be showcased as trade bait next year ?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope but he is just so wildly inconsistent that I don't get my hopes up with him.
I agree the odds aren't in favor of Arrieta putting it together at this age, but it is far more likely for a pitcher to find it in his late 20s than it is for a hitter. So I hold a slim amount of hope that change of scenery does him good.
Pretty much. I will be interested in seeing Arrieta as I missed his first start. Hoping he does good!
He has been pretty good so far between Iowa and Chicago, but he will definitely have to string together a few more to just be in the conversation for rotation spot next year.
You nailed it with that statement. What are the real plans for this guy if he does pitch well in your opinion ?

We know he has good stuff when he can command it. Will he be showcased as trade bait next year ?
Years of control matter and Arrieta has four more of them. If he pitches well, then he will be here through the first contract of the front office. If he doesn't, who cares?

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:

He would probably throw a perfect game with 26 K's and we would trade him for 5 18 year old infielders. We never seem to like to keep our good pitching, but we have a plethora of position players.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
He would probably throw a perfect game with 26 K's and we would trade him for 5 18 year old infielders. We never seem to like to keep our good pitching, but we have a plethora of position players.

He's 27, almost the same age as Garza. We have to prepare for the future.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

That's what you do if you are a baseball genius and are tanking seasons for profits, all the while telling a good story to the sheep.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
6-0 Cubs by the way. Perhaps the tail spin the Cubs have been is largely due to being swept by the hottest team in baseball and a team that they haven't been able to solve no matter who is on the roster.

Arrieta putting it together would be a huge feather in Bosio's cap. I think pitchers might actually be set for next year largely to be honest.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
6-0 Cubs by the way. Perhaps the tail spin the Cubs have been is largely due to being swept by the hottest team in baseball and a team that they haven't been able to solve no matter who is on the roster.

Arrieta putting it together would be a huge feather in Bosio's cap. I think pitchers might actually be set for next year largely to be honest.

Rusin will not go into the season as a starter. Arrieta is auditioning for it. Word is Scott Baker is going to take Rusin spot and would be willing to sign a team friendly deal because of the Cubs paying him 6 million for being injured.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
7-0 headed into the ninth. I don't care that the season is meaningless at this point, but beating the Cardinals always makes me happy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rusin will not go into the season as a starter. Arrieta is auditioning for it. Word is Scott Baker is going to take Rusin spot and would be willing to sign a team friendly deal because of the Cubs paying him 6 million for being injured.

Beyond that you have Grimm and Cabrera, who is out of options next year. Throw Arrieta into the mix and that is four guys right there for two spots not counting Baker if he comes back on a team friendly deal. Is that a playoff rotation? No of course not, but it is good enough to start focusing on other areas like bullpen and lineup.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Always nice to win, and although I missed the game, I saw the box score and so far it's looking like Arrieta is a keeper!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beyond that you have Grimm and Cabrera, who is out of options next year. Throw Arrieta into the mix and that is four guys right there for two spots not counting Baker if he comes back on a team friendly deal. Is that a playoff rotation? No of course not, but it is good enough to start focusing on other areas like bullpen and lineup.

Eh, I think we would go for another FA before we went with one of them. Grimm is not very good. Cabrera just doesn't strike me as a guy who would win the battle. I would think more injury depth. I see this and then Hendricks being a call up if a pitcher is traded out during the season. Just my take.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

When Baker tosses a 5 inning game we can muse this. He has not even pulled that off yet. He was a gamble that did not pay off this year.

Rusin has not been bad this year. Not seeing the hate here.

Key stat for me: WHIP: Iowa 1.16 Chicago: 1.18. He doesn't beat himself.

Shark: 1.36 WHIP and his record shows 6-11 with a 4.29 ERA
Jackson 1.41 WHIP 7-12 5.05 ERA
Villanueva 1.29 WHIP 2-8 4.35 ERA

Guys with good WHIPS:

Garza 1.14 WHIP 6-1 3.17 ERA
Wood 1.10 WHIP 7-9 3.00 ERA
Feldman 1.14 WHIP 7-6 3.46 ERA

See a trend here. Keep them off base and give your team a chance to win?

Arrieta 2 starts: .69 WHIP 1-0 .69 ERA. He has done fine there so far.
Rusin 6 starts 1.18 WHIP 2-2 3.06 ERA

I agree 100% with the decision to keep Rusin in the rotation until he falls on his face if he ever does. Fact is he has kept his WHIP in check all year long and that matters.

Not name value.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Baker tosses a 5 inning game we can muse this. He has not even pulled that off yet. He was a gamble that did not pay off this year.

Rusin has not been bad this year. Not seeing the hate here.

Key stat for me: WHIP: Iowa 1.16 Chicago: 1.18. He doesn't beat himself.

Shark: 1.36 WHIP and his record shows 6-11 with a 4.29 ERA
Jackson 1.41 WHIP 7-12 5.05 ERA
Villanueva 1.29 WHIP 2-8 4.35 ERA

Guys with good WHIPS:

Garza 1.14 WHIP 6-1 3.17 ERA
Wood 1.10 WHIP 7-9 3.00 ERA
Feldman 1.14 WHIP 7-6 3.46 ERA

See a trend here. Keep them off base and give your team a chance to win?

Arrieta 2 starts: .69 WHIP 1-0 .69 ERA. He has done fine there so far.
Rusin 6 starts 1.18 WHIP 2-2 3.06 ERA

I agree 100% with the decision to keep Rusin in the rotation until he falls on his face if he ever does. Fact is he has kept his WHIP in check all year long and that matters.

Not name value.

Ill go with Rusin career whip. Also, the fact he is about to be 26 and is a soft tossing lefty. No thanks. He is injury depth not a starter in my eyes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ill go with Rusin career whip. Also, the fact he is about to be 26 and is a soft tossing lefty. No thanks. He is injury depth not a starter in my eyes.

You know that Marshall only topped out at 91 MPH right and that was latter on. He has proved to have sucess as a soft tosser. Not mistaken Glavine was not a flame thrower also.

Sounds like an agenda to me.

Again after he gets blown up some then pull the I told you so.

Any ways his career minor league WHIP is 1.246.