HighJump's Cardinals vs Cubs IST

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know that Marshall only topped out at 91 MPH right and that was latter on. He has proved to have sucess as a soft tosser. Not mistaken Glavine was not a flame thrower also.

Sounds like an agenda to me.

Again after he gets blown up some then pull the I told you so.

Any ways his career minor league WHIP is 1.246.

And Marshall couldn't make it as a starter. I have an agenda? lol that's comical. No, Ive seen him pitch more than this little stretch. He sucks. Same way I said Randy Wells wasn't good when people were over his nuts. I didn't pull I told you so, I have a different opinion and you have an issue with it. You have an agenda with a differing opinion.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And Marshall couldn't make it as a starter. I have an agenda? lol that's comical. No, Ive seen him pitch more than this little stretch. He sucks. Same way I said Randy Wells wasn't good when people were over his nuts. I didn't pull I told you so, I have a different opinion and you have an issue with it. You have an agenda with a differing opinion.

No I,m of the opinion that until he sucks he doesn't suck. If I had your opinion performance would have no value and name value/talent (even unfulfilled) would always end up with the job. Wells had 1 good year. Add to it until he went to arb his value was strong. He soaked alot of innings for 400k per. When his price tag went over 1 mil his value ended.

What I am saying is he is not doing bad right now. He throws from the left side. Until he falls on his face there is no reason to call him out on anything.

I'd view him as a fringe #5 at best. #5's don't pitch in the play offs. The end up as another arm in the pen.

That is his value.

Now looking at what they have now? Grimm...look at his Iowa numbers and tell me that he is an answer. Baker can't get into the 5th inning right now. Cabrerra? They tossed his arce in the pen in Iowa. Go figure. I'd ratherhave his power arm late inning but that is just me.

System wise the only 2 that I believe may be worth something is Johnson and Edwards.

F/A: Well after seeing the turn over on Jackson is he worth the 52 mil spent?

Guys out there? To be honest are they worth it?

Trade market: Price but would you trade away Baez for him? I wouldn't. I'd trade Almora for him but that is just my agenda speaking as I really am not excited about him.

So Ya I'd be ok going into next year with Shark, Arretta (think he is going to be good here), Wood, Jackson and Rusin.

I also would rather have them dump cash into the park over haul just to make the process go faster and get it behind us. Sick of that lame excuse anyways.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No I,m of the opinion that until he sucks he doesn't suck. If I had your opinion performance would have no value and name value/talent (even unfulfilled) would always end up with the job. Wells had 1 good year. Add to it until he went to arb his value was strong. He soaked alot of innings for 400k per. When his price tag went over 1 mil his value ended.

What I am saying is he is not doing bad right now. He throws from the left side. Until he falls on his face there is no reason to call him out on anything.

My mind is blown right now. When have I been about name recognition. I don't give a fuck who you are as long as you produce. Sucks was to strong of a word for Rusin. I call it like I see it. He is injury depth. He has to pitch perfect to not get crushed. He has to move in and out and have his change completely working. His change is the only pitch worth anything. You cant make a living like that as a starter in the majors. The Cubs have around 35 million to play with to keep the payroll the same. Rusin will not be the best option. Especially, if the Cubs are looking to flip pitchers at the deadline next year again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He has to pitch perfect to not get crushed. He has to move in and out and have his change completely working. His change is the only pitch worth anything. You cant make a living like that as a starter in the majors. The Cubs have around 35 million to play with to keep the payroll the same. Rusin will not be the best option. Especially, if the Cubs are looking to flip pitchers at the deadline next year again.

again I would rather take the excess cash and dump it into the park to cut the park rehab by at least a year. 5 year over haul means 5 years of excuses of why they can't spend.

The only hope this team has is in Baez and Bryant becoming impact hitters. Then the park generating enough to surround them with quality.

Until that happens evey year is a wasted year.

Adding on X mil on a starter is not going to change this fact. Getting the monkey off the back of ownership (park overhaul and new revenue source) will. We hope that is.

Also I'm not sure if the goal is to flip next year. They did this for 2 years in a row. They have to promote Baez and Bryant next year. I can not see them sustaining ticket sales on a 3 year joke.

Also read a piece on him. He learned how to use both sides of the plate with his 2 seamer. He learned it by talking pitching baseball with Maddux when he was with the team. So he gets how to pitch.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now looking at what they have now? .... Cabrerra? They tossed his arce in the pen in Iowa. Go figure. I'd ratherhave his power arm late inning but that is just me.

Cabrera has struggled in Iowa, but do you really think that performance is why they sent him to the pen in Iowa. It couldn't have had anything to do with the fact that prior to his callup he had already thrown a 112 innings in AA after throwing just 80 innings the year before and a career high of 137 innings. The most likely conclusion is that they moved him to the pen to limit innings after a very successful run as a starter in Tennessee.

And that is the point that I am trying to raise, is that there actually is a bunch of viable options for backend of the rotation starters to fill out the starting staff. Again for two spots you have Arrieta, Rusin, Grimm, Cabrera, Rusin, and Villanueva all under team control. Perhaps they sign Baker on a friendly deal to let him compete for a spot with that group and or another type like that. I just think that a veteran hitter might be the big, Edwin Jackson type signing, offseason addition given the depth that has been developed for pitching.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Again for two spots you have Arrieta, Rusin, Grimm, Cabrera, Rusin, and Villanueva all under team control. Perhaps they sign Baker on a friendly deal to let him compete for a spot with that group and or another type like that. I just think that a veteran hitter might be the big, Edwin Jackson type signing, offseason addition given the depth that has been developed for pitching.

i dont disagree with you on them going with what they have but this regime is also big on having depth with starting pitching, so it wouldnt surprise me if they decide to add a starter via FA.. especially since there still going to be question marks on wood, rusin, and arrietta to repeat their performance.

also arodys vizcaino is suppose to pitch in AFL, so he a possibility for later in the season next year.

i also agree that they will be going after a bat and they could also use one of those starters to attain a bat via trade if they cant agree with a FA hitter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont disagree with you on them going with what they have but this regime is also big on having depth with starting pitching, so it wouldnt surprise me if they decide to add a starter via FA.. especially since there still going to be question marks on wood, rusin, and arrietta to repeat their performance.

also arodys vizcaino is suppose to pitch in AFL, so he a possibility for later in the season next year.

i also agree that they will be going after a bat and they could also use one of those starters to attain a bat via trade if they cant agree with a FA hitter.

If Vizcaino is healthy I think he breaks camp with the big league club, but I think he at least starts in the bullpen. He will probably have to go the CJ Wilson/Jeff Samardzija route in converting to a starter at the big league level if he shows he can stay healthy.

I don't disagree that the front office might go out and add another starter, but I think the type will be a low risk/flyer type to compete with those names. Another thing to remember is that Cabrera and Villanueva will be in the bullpen if they don't get a rotation spot. So the Cubs will have seven starters on the major league roster to start the year if they both get bumped.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How do you say "It's time to get your head out of your ass, Starlin" in Spanish?

Franko725

Liked Posts:
How do you say "It's time to get your head out of your ass, Starlin" in Spanish?

I think it involves Wood taking a bat to Starlin's head...but I might be wrong.

Wood has pitched so much better than a 7-9 record this season. What a shame.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
I like that Svuem told him to take his ass to the shower after that. I like Starlin a lot, but he really does need to pull his head out of his ass at some point.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I like that Svuem told him to take his ass to the shower after that. I like Starlin a lot, but he really does need to pull his head out of his ass at some point.

I like that Sveum said it with sign language - pointing to the showers.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
What happened with Starlin?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cabrera has struggled in Iowa, but do you really think that performance is why they sent him to the pen in Iowa. It couldn't have had anything to do with the fact that prior to his callup he had already thrown a 112 innings in AA after throwing just 80 innings the year before and a career high of 137 innings. The most likely conclusion is that they moved him to the pen to limit innings after a very successful run as a starter in Tennessee.

And that is the point that I am trying to raise, is that there actually is a bunch of viable options for backend of the rotation starters to fill out the starting staff. Again for two spots you have Arrieta, Rusin, Grimm, Cabrera, Rusin, and Villanueva all under team control. Perhaps they sign Baker on a friendly deal to let him compete for a spot with that group and or another type like that. I just think that a veteran hitter might be the big, Edwin Jackson type signing, offseason addition given the depth that has been developed for pitching.

point taken with that. Still it doesn't hurt having a late inning RH power arm to go along with Strop. At this point we can not say Vizcaino will be healthy. The way I look at it. It is either Cabrera starting in Iowa or in the pen in Chicago. Rather have the latter.

Again I see it as Shark, Arretta, Wood, Jackson and Rusin
Closer: Strop (cheaper)
Set up: Vizcanio if healthy Cabrera could be added here as a power RH arm. and Russell.

Rest of the pen:
I believe they should give a spot to Raley. They need a 2nd LH arm in the pen.
Rest of the pen should be interchangeable with Iowa on the 40 man.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
What happened with Starlin?

Bases loaded with one out for the Cards, there was a fly ball to short left. They called it a infield fly rule. He caught the ball, then took a few steps while he looked away from the infield. Needless to say, the guy at third scored on the play when there was no way that should have happened. When Starlin walked into the dugout after the third out, Sveum just motioned for him to continue on to the showers. One of the best in-game decisions that Sveum has made this season in my opinion.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Bases loaded with one out for the Cards, there was a fly ball to short left. They called it a infield fly rule. He caught the ball, then took a few steps while he looked away from the infield. Needless to say, the guy at third scored on the play when there was no way that should have happened. When Starlin walked into the dugout after the third out, Sveum just motioned for him to continue on to the showers. One of the best in-game decisions that Sveum has made this season in my opinion.

Good. Players should be accountable. I'm sure it wasn't a difficult decision.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That ump sucks so bad... at least check with the 1B umpire, no way in hell was that a swing. Good spot to be ejected for Sveum.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
That ump sucks so bad... at least check with the 1B umpire, no way in hell was that a swing. Good spot to be ejected for Sveum.

That is a situation where the first base umpire needs to come in and say that it was in no way a swing. These assholes can get it right if they wanted to in some of these cases, but would rather inject themselves into the game. The fact that Sveum was the only person to get tossed is what shocked me. Looked like Shark was really mouthing from the dugout as well. Nice job by Bell to get out there and calm things down so that no one else got tossed.

I cannot wait to see some sort of expanded replay so that bad calls can get reversed. A call that is as bad as that one was should also result in some sort of discipline for the umpire that makes it. I understand that mistakes are going to be made, but that one was horrendous.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
I amend my earlier comment to the fact that it was Russell and not Shark that was mouthing from the dugout. He also got the boot. You know that it won't happen, but Cuzzi really needs to admit that it was a horrendous call and apologize for it.