Houston and Young the new Brown and Ogunleye

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
Read an article on Bear report showing th similarities and it was pretty astounding. If they could find a good 3 technique, I believe the line should be pretty solid with good health. The ends should provide good pressure but excellent run support like Brown and Ogun. I'm excited to see how it all shapes up.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Brown and Ogunleye had Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs in their prime to help with the run game. Young and Houston have Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic. This scares me.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
I don't suppose anyone could or will give it a rest on the Shea McClellin bashing until after he's been playing LB for a while. It's a wonder players would even want to play for this team,w/ all the hate and dead horse beaters on these forums.
Actually just a bunch of wanna be gm assholes that can't let go of hatred!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't suppose anyone could or will give it a rest on the Shea McClellin bashing until after he's been playing LB for a while. It's a wonder players would even want to play for this team,w/ all the hate and dead horse beaters on these forums.

:flipa:

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes, I agree, players shouldn't come here because of some goofballs on this forum

Glasspac

Liked Posts:

I can't let go of Bears keeping Mel Tucker.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I heard that the first thing Emery does when he courts FAs is to tout our first rate message boards.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

Oh god no. No one is capable of actually admitting that Shea's tape outta Boise showed more promise with him playing in space than in the trenches. Anyone with half a brain knew that he was undersized to at the DE position and would struggle as a pass rusher. But we had so much depth at LB with Briggs, Urlacher, Roach, etc...that he best fit as a 3rd down rush end. Then last years debacle with two ACL tears in our DT rotation occur, we literally start pulling in DTs off the street and STARTING them with 2-3 days coaching, kicking our DEs inside to compensate...and then the guy we knew wasn't a true DE is now playing 2 or even 3 out of every 4 downs...And now we are calling Shea a failure. I'd be willing to bet if our DL wasn't decimated last season we would have already seen Shea at the Sam, given how poorly Greene and Bostic were at it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
for some reason i haven't hated shea as much as conte, haven't given up on him quite yet. maybe since he was such a high pick i hold out hope he'll get it together. he did knock Rodgers out of that game, broke his collar bone, i think it was.

i agree with what ZAN says here, he's been playing the wrong position for a long time. i'm actually curious to see how he does as a LB this year. but he really needs to step it up this year, show more than just a few flashes, or he really is headed for the bust train. and no, that's not a train full of boobies.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:

We're not even half as bad as most fans of the middle-of-the-pack teams.

And at least most the players we bash here deserve it. McClellin's given us nothing, save for knocking Rodgers out a little bit in a season where the Packers still overcame us for the division.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why we lost FA.

Did we already?? Maybe we should see how our FA pan out before we judge? I know alot want 12 mil/year FA but didn't happen this year. I'll take Houstons power and versatility over Michael Bennett, but that's just me.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston is not like anyone we ever had hear.

There are maybe 5 players I would think could be a better all around DE than Peppers for us, in terms of versatility and point of attack. Houston is one of the 5 that improves us agains the run.

We found a 300 lb DE with quickness. Should probably be a 3-tech but got trained up as a DE and they made him an edge rusher, now we get to reap the benefit.

Raw deal for the Raiders, but the Raiders need to fire there GM and then will be 5-6 years away if they start making smart moves.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did we already?? Maybe we should see how our FA pan out before we judge? I know alot want 12 mil/year FA but didn't happen this year. I'll take Houstons power and versatility over Michael Bennett, but that's just me.

We won!!! Lots of land mines out there that could have back fired, but we made a few strong moves outside of our team, and retained all the guys we needed to except Melton who were difference makers. We got two DE's for the best bargain price of any team. We got Mundy for free basically. And we cut ourselves free of a couple players that didn't seem to buy in. (Melton/Peppers)

You can look at FA however you want, but i don't think any team has a bounty like this.

Cutler, CB Jennings, CB Tillman, D.J.Williams, Lamar Houston, Willie Young, SS Mundy, OG Slauson, DT Ratliff, Return man- Hixon, DT Collins

Every single one of those guys could have played for someone else. They could have gone to their hometown. they could have gone back to their college town, to play for their favorite coach or with their best friend. they could have all walked.

Emery has astounded me with his ability to switch gears when needed, or to make the hard choices and retain.

Tillman says Tucker did a great job, so he must have some skill sets we don't see. We don't see what he means to his guys. Lets give it another year, I think Emery realized he could prepare us for versatility this year and make a decision on the defense next off-season. He is likely watching different defenses closely to see which direction he wants to go, and he probably has statistical basis for his decision. (analysis that may include the consequences of switching coordinators too frequently, even when transitioning a team needs a direction to work toward, and I think you see us moving to more principles of the 3-4)

Overhauling the defense straight to Phillips 3-4 would probably have handicapped us, but I think after moving Shea to LB and adding Houston we are closer than ever before.

Briggs/Young, Paea, Tillman, Bostic

are the guys who probably don't fit the 3-4 too well, and you see our investment in them is minimal after this season.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Now we just need an Urlacher, Vasher, Mike Brown, Chris Harris, a Hillenmeyer, maybe a Tommie Harris and a Tank Johnson. Then we'd be good.

We have 5 Hillenmeyer and more than Vasher now.

We need a "Tommie Harris". That would be a huge addition. There are no Urlachers in this draft, but I hope we get a Mike Brown (or a Mike Brown lite) in Round 2.

We didn't get all the guys you listed in one offseason. This offseason will be a major step back on D. But it won't get us to top in the league. Seattle didn't acquire all their guys in one offseason either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Brown and Ogunleye had Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs in their prime to help with the run game. Young and Houston have Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic. This scares me.
I'm sorry but did i miss L.Briggs getting cut or traded or something??

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't let go of Bears keeping Mel Tucker.

My opinion on it is that we cannot make any kind of assessment on Tuckerbased on what happened last year. He had three negatives facing him last season.

One is the decision on Urlacher. I think that it was a bad decision in that he was really the face of the Bears. We can debate the deterioration of 54 all that we want but the bottom line was that it really affected the morale of the team. Like him or not, he was a player's player and they admired him.

Two was the firing of Lovie. It is obvious that Lovie was loved by the defensive players. Although they were completely different personalities, Lovie favored his defense just like Buddy Ryan did to both of their unsuccessful tenures as head coaches.

Three, then are the injuries. At the beginning of the regular season, the defense was pretty good. But when they lost Briggs and Tillman along with three other decent starters, the defense collapsed. There is not a team in the NFL who can lose that many star and good players and have their defense not suffer greatly. Especially on defense and especially with the current state of NFL offenses getting more intricate.

So, Emery, I think certainly recognizes where he needs to go to shore the defense up. If Tucker fails with better personnel, then that is certainly on him.