How bad are the Cubs????

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Their record may end up being slightly improved over last year, but after the trade deadline it will still be hard to say the major league roster is improved while maintaining a straight face.

The pieces we still have has marginally improved, san Travis Wood who has done much better.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Bad enough for cz to start a thread.....

Anyways.....

Blame the bullpen, sure its sucked. Blame Sveum, sure--he's sucked and struggles with the 12 piece jigsaw puzzle that wouldnt give a toddler fits.

You've missed the god awful stat that still plagues them--which is converting baserunners into runs. Cubs suck with RISP.....cubs suck with runners on base and moving them.

~84 wins is a hell of a reach for a team about to hand out 2-3 starters being consistent in these games, probably their best RBI/power hitter in Soriano, their current best hitter (Scheirholtz.) Who makes up/improves on these stats? Because unless we see Junior Lake lead a charge and Rizzo be consistent again, and Castro hit 300 again--unless we bag a big fish. I see another 65-75 win team......

Of course things can change

Lake sucks

czman

Liked Posts:
Which one of these teams between the Cardinals and Pirates aren't as good as their record shows? Just thought I'd flip the tables.

^this. Your record is your record, it does not dictate how good you are. If it did the team with the most wins would win the WS every year. Teams can have more or less talent than the record would indicate.

The point still stands. With a league average closer they would have been over 500.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Their record may end up being slightly improved over last year, but after the trade deadline it will still be hard to say the major league roster is improved while maintaining a straight face.

If you think about, the Cubs slogan of "wait until next year" will be hard enough to say while maintaining a straight face.

Can we change it to "wait until 2020" to be on the safe side? :popcorn:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Your record is your record, it does not dictate how good you are.

Actually it does.

Otherwise what is the point of even playing the games?

Why not let an expert like yourself just judge the two teams on paper and determine a winner that way?*

If it did the team with the most wins would win the WS every year.

Actually that is the way it works.

The team with the most wins in the playoffs wins the WS every year.*

Teams can have more or less talent than the record would indicate.

Wrong.

People can perceive a team having more or less talent than the record would indicate. Doesn't make it true.*

The point still stands. With a league average closer they would have been over 500.

The point is still wrong.

A league average closer makes a 1-2 game difference at the MOST.

Marmol has 3 blown saves, the Cubs ended up winning one of those games.

Kevin Gregg has one blown save. The Cubs won that game.

So a league average closer isn't a perfect closer and may not make the difference in any of the above games as league average closers still blow saves.

I am not sure even Mariano Rivera makes the Cubs a .500 team*

* = 100% baseball related content

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I'd rather be a "terrible team" and 45-35 than better than my record at 35-45. Cubs rotation is decent which is what is holding them above water. Offense is awful and bullpen is pretty bad as well. It should be a great race for 4th all the way through with the Brewers.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'd rather be a "terrible team" and 45-35 than better than my record at 35-45. Cubs rotation is decent which is what is holding them above water. Offense is awful and bullpen is pretty bad as well. It should be a great race for 4th all the way through with the Brewers.

Correction! It should be a great race for the 4th overall pick in next years draft, and it will be the 4th consecutive top 7 pick or better which shows just how bad the major league team continues to be. :popcorn: