How Far Are You Willing to Trade Down?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I think he’s in the mix. Have no idea if they can move him to RT or LG. At worst he’s a great backup.

I’d definitely like some competition though. I didn’t think he earned a guaranteed starting job next year.
And that is totally a fair point -

I think so much depends on FA. I mean, how different does the Bears draft look if they were to say sign Payne and Dre'mont Jones at the DT positions. Do then even think about a defensive player then the first 2 rounds?

I think another FA player to think about that has flown under the radar is David Long from TN. He would solve some of our LB problems as well.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I’d go as low as 15ish depending on the deal.

I’m not in love with this draft class as far as it having true blue chip prospects. But I think you can find some quality starters into the teens.

All depends on the trade package.
Trading down to the middle of the draft would require a 2024 first round pick from a potential bottom feeder in 2024, plus draft picks in 2023. Being willing to gamble on a potentially better 2024 with more and better blue chip players would be the only way I could see the Bears dropping that much.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trading down to the middle of the draft would require a 2024 first round pick from a potential bottom feeder in 2024, plus draft picks in 2023. Being willing to gamble on a potentially better 2024 with more and better blue chip players would be the only way I could see the Bears dropping that much.

Yeah, like Ive said…. Needs to be the right deal. Definitely needs some serious compensation to go that low.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I think so much depends on FA. I mean, how different does the Bears draft look if they were to say sign Payne and Dre'mont Jones at the DT positions. Do then even think about a defensive player then the first 2 rounds?

I think another FA player to think about that has flown under the radar is David Long from TN. He would solve some of our LB problems as well.

I just don’t see any free agent solutions at LT. But several draft options are there. So much of what they do depends on Braxton IMO. If they don’t think he’s the guy I think they go LT in round 1.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

They would certainly think about about a defensive player in the first round even if they signed Payne and Jones. They don't have single plus starter right now at any of the four DL spots. Not saying they would certainly draft one though.

Long is very good, not sure they will want to spend premium FA capital on off ball LB though. If they do I would expect Bobby Okereke will be the target because of his relationship with Flus.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I just don’t see any free agent solutions at LT. But several draft options are there. So much of what they do depends on Braxton IMO. If they don’t think he’s the guy I think they go LT in round 1.
I can see wanting to protect Fields, but i have to think this draft is wide open for the Bears position-wise. Accumulate as much talent as possible regardless of position. Other than defensive back it should be BPA at all other positions.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yeah, like Ive said…. Needs to be the right deal. Definitely needs some serious compensation to go that low.
I wasn't arguing with you. I was just adding my belief on what the compensation and the type of team with whom to make a deal (a 2024 bottom feeder, if you can prognosticate a team falling from grace in the 2023 season).

Rise

Liked Posts:
3 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd. Ideally 2 1sts and a 3rd this year. An additional 1st next year, and a 2nd the year after that. That’s if they end up #1.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the Bears will be drafting top 12 next year so i'd like to get as many 2024 draft picks as we can to be able to trade up for my guy Marvin Harrison Jr or Brock Bowers. The NFL gods are making us getting a #1 WR a huge challenge with us not having the ammo to trade for one of the #1's that got traded last year and not having the ammo in draft picks to get one of the WR's that were in a great WR draft class last draft, and now when we do have the means in money and draft picks to get a legit #1 there's none for trade and it's a shaky draft class, on paper anyway, because nobody knows what any of these WR's will actually become once they get to the NFL. I'm sure there will be a few that come out of this class that become legit #1 WR's whether that be playing on the outside or playing the slot cause there's a few that can and will play the slot that i really really like.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be willing to trade down to the early teens in order to pick up three extra early picks. I could see this play out by executing two trade downs.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Logistically it would probably take 2 trade downs to get to the bottom of the first. No team will give up the immense amount of capital to go from 25-32 to the top 5. Probably 8 to 15 range is the most likely.
My dream draft trade down situation would be:
  1. Bears get the #1 pick with a Bears loss and a Texans win
  2. The Bears trade down to #3 where Seattle picks Young, allowing him to get a year's seasoning before he becomes the starter. The Bears get 2023 1st round picks #3 & #18, Seattle 3rd (82) for the Bears #1, #3,#5 and #7 round picks.
  3. With the second pick, Lovie convinces his GM to draft his QB of the defense. If Carter would be the key position for the Bears defense, he would certainly be that for the Texans defense.
  4. The Bears trade the #3 pick to the Colts for the #5 pick, hoping that Anderson is still there or will go to Plan B. The Bears trade the 2023 #3 pick for the Colts 2023 #5 pick and 2023 2nd round pick.
  5. The Colts finally draft their QB of the future, Stroud.
  6. The Cards wish Watts a Happy Retirement and then draft his replacement, Anderson.
  7. Plan B
    1. The Raiders and the Falcons go on a bidding war for Levis who has skyrocketed up the charts because strong-arm QBs often climb the charts as the offseason progresses.
    2. The Bears move down to 7 and the Raiders draft Levis. The Bear trade the #5 pick for the Raider (or Atlanta if they end up at 7) for the Raiders' (or Atlanta's) #7 pick plus a 3rd rounder.
    3. The Bears move down to 12 with a now desperate Lovie Smith who was hoping for Stroud or Levis to make it to #12. Having the Falcons, Panthers and Titans ahead of them and the Jets just behind them all potentially looking for a QB, makes the Texans a desperate team and they over-pay. The Bears trade #7 to the Texans for the #12 pick in 2023 & the Texans' 1st round pick in 2024. Since Lovie is so desperate, the Bears throw in a 2nd round swap (Ravens' for the Texans' 2nd round pick).
      1. The Texans draft Anthony Richardson. Isn't that such a Texans thing to do?
  8. The Bears end up with the #12 and #18 in the first round, 2 2nd round picks (Texans and Colts), 2 3rd rounders, 2 4th rounders, 1 fifth rounder (the Bears') and the Texans' first round pick in 2024.
    1. This allows the Bears to address the trenches and maybe get a #1 receiver while having the bullets in 3rd, 4th and 5th to fill out the roster with additional trade downs, like in 2022, while still having the golden bullet in 2024 to get Marvin Harrison Jr or have a major trade chip with a strong QB class.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I think its too early to decide. Over the next few months the top 10, 15 etc becomes more and more clear once everyone starts to do their deep dives. Right now, it seems the top 4 are clear, but how does the next group compare and how wide is the gap? Also, I'd like to see who we target in Free Agency and which holes we fill.

At the same time, I'm not even sure I want to trade down. If Bryce Young is on the board, I'd be heavily interested. The staff has plenty of due diligence to do and I imagine they've already started the process some time ago.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
My dream draft trade down situation would be:
  1. Bears get the #1 pick with a Bears loss and a Texans win
  2. The Bears trade down to #3 where Seattle picks Young, allowing him to get a year's seasoning before he becomes the starter. The Bears get 2023 1st round picks #3 & #18, Seattle 3rd (82) for the Bears #1, #3,#5 and #7 round picks.
  3. With the second pick, Lovie convinces his GM to draft his QB of the defense. If Carter would be the key position for the Bears defense, he would certainly be that for the Texans defense.
  4. The Bears trade the #3 pick to the Colts for the #5 pick, hoping that Anderson is still there or will go to Plan B. The Bears trade the 2023 #3 pick for the Colts 2023 #5 pick and 2023 2nd round pick.
  5. The Colts finally draft their QB of the future, Stroud.
  6. The Cards wish Watts a Happy Retirement and then draft his replacement, Anderson.
  7. Plan B
    1. The Raiders and the Falcons go on a bidding war for Levis who has skyrocketed up the charts because strong-arm QBs often climb the charts as the offseason progresses.
    2. The Bears move down to 7 and the Raiders draft Levis. The Bear trade the #5 pick for the Raider (or Atlanta if they end up at 7) for the Raiders' (or Atlanta's) #7 pick plus a 3rd rounder.
    3. The Bears move down to 12 with a now desperate Lovie Smith who was hoping for Stroud or Levis to make it to #12. Having the Falcons, Panthers and Titans ahead of them and the Jets just behind them all potentially looking for a QB, makes the Texans a desperate team and they over-pay. The Bears trade #7 to the Texans for the #12 pick in 2023 & the Texans' 1st round pick in 2024. Since Lovie is so desperate, the Bears throw in a 2nd round swap (Ravens' for the Texans' 2nd round pick).
      1. The Texans draft Anthony Richardson. Isn't that such a Texans thing to do?
  8. The Bears end up with the #12 and #18 in the first round, 2 2nd round picks (Texans and Colts), 2 3rd rounders, 2 4th rounders, 1 fifth rounder (the Bears') and the Texans' first round pick in 2024.
    1. This allows the Bears to address the trenches and maybe get a #1 receiver while having the bullets in 3rd, 4th and 5th to fill out the roster with additional trade downs, like in 2022, while still having the golden bullet in 2024 to get Marvin Harrison Jr or have a major trade chip with a strong QB class.
Bears get ass raped in almost all of these trade downs