How good does DE2 need to be?

What do the Bears still need to bring in for DE?

• I'm an idiot, its fine as-is.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Whatever the best remaining FA is.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Any old remaining FA plus a draft pick.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Has to be a 1st round pick.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Later pick is fine.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Whatever round DE is BPA is good enough.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

GoDJtop10

Liked Posts:
I believe we should draft a DE in the 1st round, whether that’s at #9 or we trade back further in the 1st round. If Poles is right about Caleb Williams, we can walk into this upcoming season with blue chippers at QB and DE to add to an already talented team.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Packers and Lions have two of the top 10 offensive lines in the NFL. Their Quarterbacks have shown that they are competent when given time but make dumb decisions under pressure. If we are to take the North and never give it back, pass rush is exponentially more important than WR3

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
The Packers and Lions have two of the top 10 offensive lines in the NFL. Their Quarterbacks have shown that they are competent when given time but make dumb decisions under pressure. If we are to take the North and never give it back, pass rush is exponentially more important than WR3
Good offenses always beat good defenses. Load up on offense imo.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I believe we should draft a DE in the 1st round, whether that’s at #9 or we trade back further in the 1st round. If Poles is right about Caleb Williams, we can walk into this upcoming season with blue chippers at QB and DE to add to an already talented team.
“If poles is right about CW…” ?

what does that even mean? do you believe Poles thinks CW doesn’t need anymore help?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
What's the point of hiring Fluser as the HC if he can't coach up some of the players that were not already upper tier players. Most of the dominant players on the defense were either here before Flus, acquired thru trades or FA's. The Bears are already in the top10 in cap money allocated to the defense. Most of Poles draft picks on defense are good fit players but I wouldn't say any of them are playing way above their draft position, Especially the dline picks last year. LaFleur & Shanahan get more out of less on the offensive side of the ball which allows those teams to spend more resources on defense. Shouldn't it be the other way around for the Bears with a defensive minded head coach.
I think it already has worked out that way. Still though, people rightfully recognize that pass rush is critically important in today's NFL. Sweat did great for us but he was never known as an elite pass rusher. Outside of him, unless Dexter makes a big jump in year 2, we've got no one who could even be considered as an average pass rusher on the NFL level. I don't care who your coach is, defenses are going to struggle to make up for that on a routine basis.

To me, DE at #9 is by far the best allocation of resources. Your drafted DE's rookie contract lines up exactly with Sweat's extension so (hopefully) you've got a guy who can anchor your pass rush for the next 8 years, 4 of which is spent alongside another high-end player in Sweat. That's sexy.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think it already has worked out that way. Still though, people rightfully recognize that pass rush is critically important in today's NFL. Sweat did great for us but he was never known as an elite pass rusher. Outside of him, unless Dexter makes a big jump in year 2, we've got no one who could even be considered as an average pass rusher on the NFL level. I don't care who your coach is, defenses are going to struggle to make up for that on a routine basis.

To me, DE at #9 is by far the best allocation of resources. Your drafted DE's rookie contract lines up exactly with Sweat's extension so (hopefully) you've got a guy who can anchor your pass rush for the next 8 years, 4 of which is spent alongside another high-end player in Sweat. That's sexy.
Do you think #9 is too high for verse, though? Ideally you could get him in a small trade back

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
From what I understand they would need to trade back to somewhere in the 15+ range in order to pick up a second rounder. Anything lower more than likely nets a third. I’d like a trade back to like 16 and then grab whoever between Verse and Latu is still around. Probably Latu. Then grab a WR with that second round pick. Problem is most of the more realistic trade scenarios are teams in that 12-14 range. Even if they traded back to like 13 and picked up a third I’d be okay. Verse has a better chance of being there at 13 and they can still grab a guy like maybe Xavier Legette in the third.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Better than DE3 but not as good as DE1.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
From what I understand they would need to trade back to somewhere in the 15+ range in order to pick up a second rounder. Anything lower more than likely nets a third. I’d like a trade back to like 16 and then grab whoever between Verse and Latu is still around. Probably Latu. Then grab a WR with that second round pick. Problem is most of the more realistic trade scenarios are teams in that 12-14 range. Even if they traded back to like 13 and picked up a third I’d be okay. Verse has a better chance of being there at 13 and they can still grab a guy like maybe Xavier Legette in the third.
If Leggette dropped that far it would be great for the Bears.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Good offenses always beat good defenses. Load up on offense imo.
“The Seahawks won their first Super Bowl crown by punishing Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos 43-8. That masterful defense, the NFL's stingiest, never let the five-time MVP get going, disarming the highest-scoring offense in league history.”

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
“The Seahawks won their first Super Bowl crown by punishing Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos 43-8. That masterful defense, the NFL's stingiest, never let the five-time MVP get going, disarming the highest-scoring offense in league history.”

Rules have slanted well to the offense since that time.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs