How Old Is Too Old For a Pacifier

bri

Liked Posts:
I am just curious to see what other people think. I don't know what most people consider normal. I am really bothered by the fact that there is a boy who was in 2nd grade this year that still walks around with a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't even take it out when he talks to people. As far as I know he attends regular school and has no special needs. It just drives me up the wall. I did see him today and he didn't have it in, so I am hoping he will be broke of it by 3rd grade. Is it possible that there is a medical condition that would require that? I get all grossed out and upset when people breast feed their 4 year olds too. Am I alone in this way of thinking?

sth

Liked Posts:
I say when you get teeth you have to stop using a pacifier. After that it gets really weird. How weird must that kid look when he is in school? At some point his parents have to stop him from using it.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
2nd grade and still using a pacifier.....yeah, there is something wrong with that. But then again, there are some 4 nad 5 year olds in my kids day care that still wear pull-ups during the day, so what do I know. Course there are some 60 and 70 year olds out there wearing them too.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]2nd grade and still using a pacifier.....yeah, there is something wrong with that. But then again, there are some 4 nad 5 year olds in my kids day care that still wear pull-ups during the day, so what do I know. Course there are some 60 and 70 year olds out there wearing them too.[/quote]Hey, that's no way to talk about Tbird.

And maybe the kid is going to a Rave later... did anyone think about that?

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]2nd grade and still using a pacifier.....yeah, there is something wrong with that. But then again, there are some 4 nad 5 year olds in my kids day care that still wear pull-ups during the day, so what do I know. Course there are some 60 and 70 year olds out there wearing them too.[/quote]Hey, that's no way to talk about Tbird.

And maybe the kid is going to a Rave later... did anyone think about that?[/quote]

I know kids at raves are getting younger every year, but a 2nd grader??????? Bri, you sure it wasn't Gary Coleman you saw?? Now we know why he is in the hospital.

supraman

Liked Posts:
To me (and I'm no parent) as soon as the child is weened off breast feeding no more pacifier. Makes sense right? He aint getting the boob anymore so why get the simulated one anymore.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he's WAYYYYYY too old to be having a pacifier in his mouth. What really makes no sense to me is why his parents would let him walk around with one.

stu

Liked Posts:
Weak parents, letting the child rule the situation.

But that seems to be the norm in today society.

Parents want to be a friend to their child, don't want to hurt their feelings, don't want to hear them cry etc.

Mustn't upset Muffy now....oh give me a break!

Children NEED parents, they already have friends.

Children NEED set rules and guidelines,

bri

Liked Posts:
I'm not trying t be judgmental, especially since my mom said I loved my plug when I was a baby. That probably partially explains why I have such oral fixations today, but that a whole other story. But I only had mine when I went to sleep and was broken of it by 15 months. It was my comfort item. I just can't understand how this kid isn't getting his ass kicked by all the other kids. Kids can be down right cruel.

fat Pat

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bri"]That probably partially explains why I have such oral fixations today, but that a whole other story. [/quote]

you should definatly tell those stories.

(in before everyone else! hah!)

but yea, thats too old for a pacifier, specifically because it can cause serious tooth development issues and really increase the need for braces later in life. ask any dentist what they think about pacifiers, theyll tell you very quickly

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="stu"]Weak parents, letting the child rule the situation.

Parents want to be a friend to their child, don't want to hurt their feelings, don't want to here them cry etc.

Children NEED set rules and guidelines,[/quote]

Ding!!!!! QFT^^^^^^^^

IMO pacifiers are a mistake at any age. Agree with the breast feeding past 12 months as well. If the kiddo is eating regular solids get them off the tit/bottle.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="winos5"]

Parents want to be a friend to their child, don't want to hurt their feelings, don't want to here them cry etc.

Ding!!!!! QFT^^^^^^^^

IMO pacifiers are a mistake at any age. Agree with the breast feeding past 12 months as well. If the kiddo is eating regular solids get them off the tit/bottle.[/quote]

Every report I've heard about breastfeeding says that kids should be slowly weaned after their 1st tooth comes in. Not too slowly, but more solid food.

As for pacifiers, apparently when i was all of a month and change, apparently one of my uncles dipped my pacifier in the green beer for st. patty's day. My dad said the look on my face was, "WOW! Where can I get more of this high-octane shit!?"

And see, back then, no harm no foul. Try that nowadays and CPS is all over your ass.

bri

Liked Posts:
[quote name="LordKOTL"]
[quote name="winos5"]

Ding!!!!! QFT^^^^^^^^

IMO pacifiers are a mistake at any age. Agree with the breast feeding past 12 months as well. If the kiddo is eating regular solids get them off the tit/bottle.[/quote]

Every report I've heard about breastfeeding says that kids should be slowly weaned after their 1st tooth comes in. Not too slowly, but more solid food.

As for pacifiers, apparently when i was all of a month and change, apparently one of my uncles dipped my pacifier in the green beer for st. patty's day. My dad said the look on my face was, "WOW! Where can I get more of this high-octane shit!?"

And see, back then, no harm no foul. Try that nowadays and CPS is all over your ass.[/quote]

Oh, you poor little thing. That is as bad as that chunky little two year old baby they have been showing on TV smoking that cigarette in Indonesia.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="bri"]
[quote name="LordKOTL"]Every report I've heard about breastfeeding says that kids should be slowly weaned after their 1st tooth comes in. Not too slowly, but more solid food.

And see, back then, no harm no foul. Try that nowadays and CPS is all over your ass.[/quote]

Oh, you poor little thing. That is as bad as that chunky little two year old baby they have been showing on TV smoking that cigarette in Indonesia.[/quote]

Not at all, bri...the amount of alchol my system absorbed was probably less that what leaches into your skin after dabbing a wound.

Besdies, from what my Dad said about the incident, I enjoyed it--didn't cry or spit the thing out or anything.

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bri you poor thing. How do you ever control your fixation?

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if you get rid of a pacifier before a year old, the kid never really notices they no longer have it.