How teams reach their 53 man roster by Charlie Casserly

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What is our current roster looking like, besides obvious gold?

I really don't recall that many cuts have happened yet.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting to read this...

I never talked with GMs in our division, nor did I make any trades with those teams -- that is, after I got burned in my first year as the Redskins GM. It was terrible! We traded defensive tackle Dean Hamel, a player we were already planning to cut, to the Dallas Cowboys in 1989. This was our reasoning: Dallas had the first pick in the waiver order, so Hamel would likely have ended up there anyway, and it made sense for us to make the trade instead of getting nothing for Hamel. But when we faced Dallas that season, he gave a pre-game speech to the Cowboys, which we were told got the team fired up. Our longtime rival beat us for its only win of the season; even worse, we finished 10-6 and just missed the playoffs. I never made that mistake again.

Seems to me they could've / should've simply explained this to him before he walked out the door having been traded that, "Hey, we like you but are simply stacked here at your position. Rather than hold on to you til the end, we want you to be able to have a better shot on a team where you'll play more (and make more$$). In fact you have trade value!! We wish you the best and look FW to seeing you twice this season."

Seems a pretty forthright ethically smooth way to do business without hard feelings. Baseball players get traded all the damn time & don't get all pissy about it. IDK - just my take on mismanagement. To blindly disregard getting potential equity for a fringe cut guy is ignorant. (as is assuming a cut guy is really why you lost that game)

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No real cuts yet b/c Nagy isn't playing any starters. These fringe/cut guys should prefer staying with Bears through week 4 to get more game tape out there for the pending waiver wire frenzy to follow. N

Per above, Nagy & Pace have made no secret about wanting to give reccomendations and references to other teams on the guys they cut. Other GMs know Bears are stacked and won't hesitate to dig CHI - scrap bin for treasure.