How the Bears get Von Miller

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
Should have said recently. I'll never forget Reggie White

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will have 29 million if they cut both of them.

If they tag Von Miller [14.5 million] they will have 14.5 million left for their entire budget.

What do you pay Osweiler at that point?

You would think the minimum would be 3 years 26 million/10 guaranteed [8.6 average] that Matt Flynn got, probably more as he will have played more games and in the playoffs.

Best case scenario they spend 23.1 million on Miller and Osweiler and cannot re-sign a single other player.

Well, the Broncos may be fucked. What if Manning wants to come back? I get the feeling he still thinks he can play.

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
What about building through the draft, and rewarding the guys that stand out with re-negotiating their contracts earlier? Builds loyalty and rewards performance.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well, the Broncos may be fucked. What if Manning wants to come back? I get the feeling he still thinks he can play.

I think if he comes back for another season he'll just be pulling a Kobe Bryant. He'll get out there and sure he looks the part in a uniform and all, but at the end of the day he's trying the same stuff that made him great with very different results.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What about building through the draft, and rewarding the guys that stand out with re-negotiating their contracts earlier? Builds loyalty and rewards performance.

Fans of any sports team have no patience.

Actually something that I find pretty funny is that most people that root for any team are middle of the pack performers. They went through school getting C's, had some successes, but also some failures. They sort of go through life gravitating to things they naturally find easier than taking on big challenges.

Yet when it comes to something like a football team they want them to be in the top 3% (1/32, meaning they win a championship) every season. Pats fans had a tough time filling the playoff game after Welker busted his knee right before the playoffs that one season. If your team finishes 8-8 it's only acceptable if they were horrible the season before and if they came from an 8 win or better season it's a precieved regression that demands firings/changes.

Imagine if we held ourselves to the same standard we put on our football teams? Probably be pretty depressing.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Fans of any sports team have no patience.

Actually something that I find pretty funny is that most people that root for any team are middle of the pack performers. They went through school getting C's, had some successes, but also some failures. They sort of go through life gravitating to things they naturally find easier than taking on big challenges.

Yet when it comes to something like a football team they want them to be in the top 3% (1/32, meaning they win a championship) every season. Pats fans had a tough time filling the playoff game after Welker busted his knee right before the playoffs that one season. If your team finishes 8-8 it's only acceptable if they were horrible the season before and if they came from an 8 win or better season it's a precieved regression that demands firings/changes.

Imagine if we held ourselves to the same standard we put on our football teams? Probably be pretty depressing.

Yeah, personally I root for the Bears to be #15. That way everything is in line with how I live my life.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

There's no question about building through the draft, I agree. But, the Bears are still going to have money left over after the draft and you have to do something with it right? Might as well spend it, got money burning a hole in your pocket, what you gonna spend it on?!?!?

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
There's no question about building through the draft, I agree. But, the Bears are still going to have money left over after the draft and you have to do something with it right? Might as well spend it, got money burning a hole in your pocket, what you gonna spend it on?!?!?

That is what I am saying to do with the leftover. Give it to the guys that played their asses off, and extend their contracts. It will provide incentive to play well,for them and future players and build loyalty.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
No way should we spend that much money on a non QB. Need to add depth and maybe 1 good LB. Not big on super star free agent signings in the NFL.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Eric Berry, Danny Trevathan, one of Bobby Massie/Kelechi Osemele, Derek Wolfe

Not sure if it works numbers wise but it's within reach. Would much rather have that, or something similar to that than Von Miller and maybe 1 other guy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears will spread the money around.

The build through the draft mantra is fantastic, but even the teams who "build through the draft" use free agency to supplement and make them more competitive.

New England is the perfect example. They draft well, but they are not afraid to go into free agency.

The Packers probably use free agency the least, but they have drafted well for 15 years. When the Bears have that many good drafts in a row then they can ignore free agency.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would hope the Bears could get 3 starters out of free agency.

DE
OL
ILB

All have strong free agent classes.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Not a disaster, but he is not exactly mister clean either:

In August 2013, Miller was arrested on a failure to appear warrant for driving-related charges in October 2012.[54] Miller was arrested August 11, 2013 at a Colorado gun store when he tried to buy a gun and a background check revealed an outstanding arrest warrant for failing to appear in court on his previous traffic ticket.

In September 2013, Miller was cited for speeding and driving with a suspended license in Arapahoe County, Colorado.[55]

On October 28, 2013, Miller arrived late to his court regarding traffic offenses. Miller had a 10:30 a.m. appearance but didn't get to court until 12:15 p.m.[56]

Late for court? Fuck him.