How to Solve Bears' Passrush Problem: Sack Total Adjusted with Sweat

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh, got ya. Money for the draft picks. Bears only have 4 picks.

OverTheCap.com calculated draft $ needed for each team. Bears need the least cap space in the league.

Bears need $2,986,572 (Link). That gives them $19,478,216 "extra".

Based on free agent DEs signed, Bears could nab one of the best with a $10mil/1 yr.

I think Bears could rock with a rotation of Sweat, Walker, Mike Danna and Verse. Fresh DEs are more potent.
This is wrong whatever it is. 1st pick makes more than 3 mil

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
This is wrong whatever it is. 1st pick makes more than 3 mil
Right, it's complicated. It's about the top 51 salaries more than straight draft picks.

You dare doubting OverTheCap.com! :eek: 😝

Since every team has 51 players already under contract what that means is that every rookie that signs will either bump a player out of the top 51 or will fall outside the top 51 completely. If they bump a player outside of the top 51 we simply subtract out the base salary of that player to determine the cap space required to sign the player. For example the top pick in the draft will have a cap number around $6.39 million. If the Cardinals 51st player has a base salary of $645,000 the cap space required to sign the player will be about $5.745 million. The Cardinals lowest drafted player will have a cap charge of around $513,000. He is going to fall outside of the top 51 so that means his base salary won’t count towards the cap. So to sign him back out $495,000 and you will need about $18,000 in cap space to fit him in.

So most teams really are in no salary cap danger of not being able to sign rookies. Based on our current estimates we only show four teams that may not have the cap space to sign rookies. Three of those teams are within $630,000 and have money coming off the books- two with June 1 releases and one with the Adam Thielen extension. The Bucs are the only team that probably has to make a significant move down the line.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Right, it's complicated. It's about the top 51 salaries more than straight draft picks.

You dare doubting OverTheCap.com! :eek: 😝

It’s wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Number 1 pick alone is like 7 mil

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh, got ya. Money for the draft picks. Bears only have 4 picks.

OverTheCap.com calculated draft $ needed for each team. Bears need the least cap space in the league.

Bears need $2,986,572 (Link). That gives them $19,478,216 "extra".

Based on free agent DEs signed, Bears could nab one of the best with a $10mil/1 yr.

I think Bears could rock with a rotation of Sweat, Walker, Mike Danna and Verse. Fresh DEs are more potent.

No wonder this is wrong. You linked something from 2019.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
No wonder this is wrong. You linked something from 2019.
Good catch! That is 2019. Unfortunately, I can't find overthecap doing one for 2024, but the info on how it's done is the same. It's about if the draft picks replace any player in the Top 51, and the difference. Which is to say, you can't just add the price of the draft picks.

Here's a quote from a 2024 article for the Bills: "The Bills’ cap space does not account for the room needed for the rookie NFL Draft class, which, as their Top 51 is currently constructed, would only be about $2.3 million taken off. But until those contracts are signed, they don’t count to their cap hit." Bills roster reset: How Buffalo can become a major post-June 1 free-agent player

I'm very confident the Bears could sign a 1yr/$10mil contract for a good passrusher. I think it's a win-win situation.

Sitch A: What if a great (non DE) player falls to #9? I hear the DE draft depth is not good. If Poles waits till after the draft, all the good FA passrushers could be gone.

Sitch B: If Bears do get Verse/Turner at #9, and Poles signed a good passrushing free agent DE 1yr contract, it's only proper the Bears have 3 players who are decent at passrushing. Keep them fresh in rotation, account for injuries during the season and not be screwed if the rookie isn't an instant homerun hitter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good catch! That is 2019. Unfortunately, I can't find overthecap doing one for 2024, but the info on how it's done is the same. It's about if the draft picks replace any player in the Top 51, and the difference. Which is to say, you can't just add the price of the draft picks.

Here's a quote from a 2024 article for the Bills: "The Bills’ cap space does not account for the room needed for the rookie NFL Draft class, which, as their Top 51 is currently constructed, would only be about $2.3 million taken off. But until those contracts are signed, they don’t count to their cap hit." Bills roster reset: How Buffalo can become a major post-June 1 free-agent player

I'm very confident the Bears could sign a 1yr/$10mil contract for a good passrusher. I think it's a win-win situation.

Sitch A: What if a great (non DE) player falls to #9? I hear the DE draft depth is not good. If Poles waits till after the draft, all the good FA passrushers could be gone.

Sitch B: If Bears do get Verse/Turner at #9, and Poles signed a good passrushing free agent DE 1yr contract, it's only proper the Bears have 3 players who are decent at passrushing. Keep them fresh in rotation, account for injuries during the season and not be screwed if the rookie isn't an instant homerun hitter.

Just go to OTC and look up effective cap space.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What is going on right now?? :dog:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Have a feeling at this point they'll bring back yannick

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Not if he can help it. :beer:

I've noticed he gets FAs to fill holes so he can draft BPA, to the extent it's possible.

He also, generally, doesn't overpay FAs, and wants to build through the draft. That way the GM isn't reaching in the draft to fill required holes. It's smart.
Can you plz explain in detail how exactly poles has done this

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Can you plz explain in detail how exactly poles has done this
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." Tale of Two Cities

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Idk what any of this means but it’s probably a good story about how poles doesn’t plug holes in FA and forces his hand in the draft

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Just go to OTC and look up effective cap space.
OTC lists the Effective cap space as $10,714,620 (I calculated $11,474,620).

$11.5 mil is enough to sign 1 of the top FA passrushers 1 yr $8-10mil.

Poles should pick and sign a free agent passrusher now. Why wait?

For a Super Bowl run, Bears need 3 decent passrushers -- they only have one: Sweat.

Have to account for season injuries, one will be an unproven rookie, and keep rushers fresh in rotation.

Sweat, Walker, Calais Campbell, Verse

Nice thing about Campbell is he's big/strong enough to rush from the inside too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OTC lists the Effective cap space as $10,714,620 (I calculated $11,474,620).

$11.5 mil is enough to sign 1 of the top FA passrushers 1 yr $8-10mil.

Poles should pick and sign a free agent passrusher now. Why wait?

For a Super Bowl run, Bears need 3 decent passrushers -- they only have one: Sweat.

Have to account for season injuries, one will be an unproven rookie, and keep rushers fresh in rotation.

Sweat, Walker, Calais Campbell, Verse

Nice thing about Campbell is he's big/strong enough to rush from the inside too.

Lots of reasons to wait. Poles doesn’t know who he’s going to get in the draft being the biggest.

Also teams frequently like to keep more emergency cap space than you’re suggesting

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Lots of reasons to wait. Poles doesn’t know who he’s going to get in the draft being the biggest.

Also teams frequently like to keep more emergency cap space than you’re suggesting
Like I said, even if Bears are 100% sure they're drafting a DE at #9, they still need another decent passrusher.

If you're only decent passrushers are Sweat and a rookie, what if one gets injured? What if the rookie isn't an instantly decent passrusher... or ever? You can't go into a Super Bowl run with just those two. Don't you agree?

If that's the case, which it is, why wait for more FA passrushers to be signed away?

We don't know how much Campbell will sign for, but Bears have ways to make adjustments for a couple mil in reserve if required.