Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm a fan of parity. When you look at the NFL or NHL, it seems like in any given year, any team could win it all. That's what I would like for the NBA. So these are some changes that I would make:

Contract Teams

Each year in the NBA, there are 2-5 teams that suck very, very much. Some of these teams are the same teams for many years. Their only hope is to draft a future HOF player and hope he doesn't leave. But they always seem to leave one way or another [LBJ, KG, CP3, DWill, etc.] After the player leaves, the team usually goes back to being garbage until they can finally draft another stud player. These teams just drag down the competition imo. I mean seriously. An elite team could play up to a total of over 20 games against teams that suck. Who wants to watch that?

I would contract 2-4 teams. The players on the contracted teams would become free agents, but hold onto the contracts that they currently own. The remaining teams could claim them. First priority would go to the worst teams in the league. If the worst team doesn't have the cap room to pick up the contract, the next team is up.

So for example, if the T-Wolves got contracted, Kevin Love and his 3-year deal worth around 46 million dollars would be available to claim by the Magic. Let's say the Bucks want Anthony Davis instead though [since the Pelicans also got contracted] because he has a cheaper deal.. so they claim him, and the Jazz are up to see if they want Love. They do, and they claim him. Philly would then be up and so on.

In this scenario, competition would increase a lot, imo. The worst team in the league would probably have around 35 wins.

Get Rid Of The Lottery

With 4 less teams and improved rosters, teams would be less inclined to tank since they have a better shot at actually making the playoffs.

So the worst team that gets the #1 overall pick was probably the true worst team in the league. Let's go back to the Jazz that just recently acquired Kevin Love in my hypothetical situation above. Say they still have a relatively down year and win only 33 games and win the first pick. They draft Jabari Parker, and let's say he winds up being the next LBJ. The Jazz went from being the laughing stock of the NBA to title contenders in only a couple of years. They wouldn't even need to worry about picking top 5 for the next 10+ years. Now, it's the next bad team up to try and change their fortunes.

Set A Hard Cap, But Raise The Limit

A hard cap is pretty much the easiest way to create parity. If there is a set amount of salary cap space that a team can use and cannot go over, players are more likely to become free agents and go to teams that can afford them. So if a guy is in a contract year with a great team and plays well enough to deserve a max contract.. he has to decide if he wants to take a massive pay cut to stay with his great team, or he can go to a bad team for a lot more money and turn them into potential title contenders.

But remember, these bad teams are no longer TERRIBLE because of the contracted teams. So a great player can turn a 35 win team into a 50+ win team easily. If this 35 win team also happens to have a top 3 pick, and they draft a stud, this 35 win team could become a 60+ win team overnight.

The current soft cap is set at 58 million. But teams can obviously go over with bird rights and stuff. I'd set the hard cap at 67 million. Yes, it would get rid of super teams like Miami because a team wouldn't be able to afford 3 superstars and fill out the rest of the roster unless the 3 superstars decided to make 10 million a year.

But it would be enough to have 2 superstars on a team, if they wanted to take a little pay cut to help have more solid role players.

Get Rid Of Guaranteed Contracts

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of players signing huge deals and seemingly just give up or get injured and just waste the team's money. Bad contracts can cripple a franchise for several years and it's a shame that teams can't do anything about it.

I'd make contracts only partially guaranteed. So for example, if a player signed a max contract worth 5-years 100 million, only 40 million of that would be guaranteed. So after the guaranteed money is paid off, the team could release the player and free up cap space for another player that's actually worth it.

Change the Playoff Format

It wouldn't be much of a change. It would till be 8 teams per conference. However, I'd get rid of 7 game series for the first three rounds. No team has ever come back from being down 0-3. So it's kind of pointless to play that 4th game. Team that go up 3-1 almost always win the series. So again, it's just a drag to finish out the series. I would make the first 3 rounds a best out of 5 series. The best team would still usually win, but it'll also create more upsets. There have been a lot of teams that led the series 3-2 and wound up losing. A lot of the teams that were leading the series 3-2 were also underdogs. Imo, i think upsets are exciting and would like to see more of them in the NBA. The most recent example I can think of would be Boston leading Miami 3-2 in the 2012 post-season. idk about you guys, but it would have been crazy to see Miami not win the finals two years in a row.

Replay Reviews

There will be a replay ref to review every play that can go either way. This will happen quickly since that would be that refs only job. He'll be sitting by the screen and after a controversial play, he'll review it immediately and call it out the refs on the court. If it takes more than 15 seconds, the refs on the floor just make the call. In the last 2 minutes of the game, the rules would be like they are now. Review for as long as you want until the call is right.

-----------

I know, some pretty drastic changes. Most that will never happen.. I have a feeling most of you guys won't agree with me hahaha. But that is my ideal NBA.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sold on the contract teams idea. However, I do think that a hard cap is the best way to try to get parity. In some ideal world where a system that could ensure that every team has 2 star players could actually work, that's how I think you get parity. It could be like you get 2 max level players (players like James Harden, Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, etc) and 4 MLE level players where you can break it up between the 4 however you like between the ranges of 5M and 9M (Luol Deng/Carlos Boozer down to someone like Lance Stephenson...maybe Kyle Korver) and 2 MMLE level players (Mike Dunleavy Jr, Thabo Sefolosha types), and then minimum salaries the rest of the roster. You split up the stars, you split up the role players, so no one has a huge advantage over another.

That idea would probably never work though lol. Someone could probably rig it to get Lebron and Durant on the same team.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i agree with getting rid of guaranteed contracts

that would help the league out allot....teams wouldn't be crippled with a high price player thats underpreforming and players wouldn't get lazy after they sign a big deal

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Both teams in NYC being a disappointment hurt the East...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm actually a supporter of expansion in the NBA. The issue isn't as much the number of teams, the desire of owners to win and their ability to do it. Many owners treat their teams as pure investments, and as long as they profit, they're okay with putting out inferior products. But in order to have a successful bit of expansion, the league needs to adjust profit sharing rules. The NBA had less parity with fewer teams, and also note how the NFL and NHL had less parity as well, when it went through periods of expansion. What helped was tweaking the contract rules and some time for everything to adjust. The NBA could benefit from having a somewhat closer to NFL style contract system, but more catered to the specifics of the NBA.

Even though I support expansion, I don't like that NBA teams can have 15 men on their roster. Bringing down the number to 13 and 11 would be better, so as long as D-League was actually in place for, you know, DEVELOPMENT.

Which brings me to my perennial gripe about the NBA, is the lip service given to the D-League, but the focus on utilizing it as a minors system continues to lack. The entire D-League structure is broken. Every team needs to work towards having one affiliate per, so the D-League teams match the number of NBA teams. The D-League should be used as rehab assignments. The D-League season should start at the same time as Summer League, and get rid of Summer League all together, so then teams can truly use their D-League affiliates as a full extension of the organization. All of this costs money, and means there needs to be more initial investment, but in the long run, it garners a return for the league, the owners, and should wind up with bigger salaries for minor league players(which could also help the league from losing borderline-NBA'ers and under-developed players to international teams.)

I have no issue with the lottery. But as I said in a prior post, I always liked the idea of prorating lottery chances based on multi-season records(based on not improving).

Reduce the fan vote impact of the all-star game. I don't like how fans can over-rate players, and then that raises a player's stock and screws up some teams. While that's life and not much can be done, if the fan vote is limited to 50%, then you have both the fans believing they have an impact, and a small check-and-balance to reward players who are not getting attention for their level of play while keeping some players out that bombed in the current season after being judged by fans on the season prior.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I agree about getting rid of guaranteed contracts and contracting the league. Both would increase the quality of the league overall. Having less teams/overpaid players might also allow the league to increase the salary cap.

I also think teams should get compensated for losing franchise players to free agency. So for instance, if LeBron or Melo decide to leave for less money, the gaining team should relinquish a first round pick to the losing team.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yeah, the All-Star system in the NBA is a farce. It's there for the fans anyway, the players and the NBA don't really give a shit who goes.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me? Easy, start calling traveling, by rule you're allowed 1.5 steps not 3. Move the 3 point arc farther back and drug test for everything.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Me? Easy, start calling traveling, by rule you're allowed 1.5 steps not 3. Move the 3 point arc farther back and drug test for everything.

Wut...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
And I still don't get why we haven't had a player in the NBA with the skill to charge their momentum to the 3pt line, jump before the line, and take/make those baskets as one of their signature moves(hell, that would be an awesome fast-break play with possibilities to add a trailing teammate to cover the miss). By the rules, if the guy shoots it before he touches the ground(which would be traveling anyways) it would be a three-pointer. It's been done before, but not by design.

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
I'm all for getting rid of guaranteed contracts. Although, with the NBA limiting the max years a free agent can sign too, it kind of lessens the blow. One thing that I would do is get rid of the Western/Easter Conference label and go with a National/American Conference and then jumble up the divisions that go into each conference. The East is weak, and has been since the days of Jordan. I'd probably move the Atlantic out of the Eastern just to spice things up and have them switch different divisions every 4 years or so.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I am for contracting about 6 teams...I don't like the idea of parity at the sacrifice of great teams. No expanding to Europe or any of that stuff.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
How a bout a relegation like system like they use in most soccer leagues. If your team sucks, the next year you get knocked down a league. Upper tier teams get a bigger piece of the money pie. Give the owners a kick in the ass to take care of their team or risk losing money. With this system you get rid of lottery and use D-League teams to develop your own players. Not sure how it would work with the other ideas (including money since soccer doesn't really have a cap) but I'm sure it could be worked out.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And I still don't get why we haven't had a player in the NBA with the skill to charge their momentum to the 3pt line, jump before the line, and take/make those baskets as one of their signature moves(hell, that would be an awesome fast-break play with possibilities to add a trailing teammate to cover the miss). By the rules, if the guy shoots it before he touches the ground(which would be traveling anyways) it would be a three-pointer. It's been done before, but not by design.
Like Nate's ridiculous floater over DWill last year, but behind the line?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am in favor of eliminating some teams and making a hard cap. Meaning teams couldn't stock up on 3 All-Stars but there would be more talent on each team. Players could always take less to play for a contender like many do now. I'd then get rid of the 3 division per conference system and bring back the old Atlantic-Central-Midwest-Pacific divisions. I'd make the division matter more by having you play your division opponents more often (with less teams that's possible). Playoffs would simply be Top 8 in each conference and division winners would be guaranteed a playoff spot but not a certain seed.

I'd keep the lottery around but open the entire process to the media to dispel any conspiracies.

The NBA would never change the playoff format. They went to 7 game first rounds because it brought them more revenue. That's why the series are as long as they are.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am in favor of eliminating some teams and making a hard cap. Meaning teams couldn't stock up on 3 All-Stars but there would be more talent on each team. Players could always take less to play for a contender like many do now. I'd then get rid of the 3 division per conference system and bring back the old Atlantic-Central-Midwest-Pacific divisions. I'd make the division matter more by having you play your division opponents more often (with less teams that's possible). Playoffs would simply be Top 8 in each conference and division winners would be guaranteed a playoff spot but not a certain seed.

I'd keep the lottery around but open the entire process to the media to dispel any conspiracies.

The NBA would never change the playoff format. They went to 7 game first rounds because it brought them more revenue. That's why the series are as long as they are.

They did finally change the home and away format for the finals, so its not 2-3-2 anymore