How would you change the NBA?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They did finally change the home and away format for the finals, so its not 2-3-2 anymore

Yeah, but they're not going to take games away.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Contract every team in the East, except the Bulls. Guaranteed NBA Finals every year!!!!

theTruth21

Liked Posts:
1st: you get 2.5 steps in the NBA, by rule. 2nd, the 3pt line opens up the post and dying mid-range game

I would expand on the D league as previously mentioned and utilize it as an actual farm system. I also can somewhat get on board with a relegation system and/or revenue sharing setup to increase parity, and do think the league could easily contract 4-6 teams and spread that talent around.

I would love to eliminate conferences and divisions all together and have playoffs be the best 16 teams league wide. Currently teams play 2 games against each out of conference opponent and 4 games against in conference opponents (some only play 3 due to the 82 game season). You could easily make each team play all others 3 times, then seed by record 1-16 for the playoffs. this system ensures that the best teams are always represented in the playoffs

If playoffs ended today, the current teams, in order, would be: OKC, IND, MIA, SA, PORT, LAC, HOU, PHX, GSW, DAL,ATL, WASH, MINN, NOLA, DEN, TOR

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would expand on the D league as previously mentioned and utilize it as an actual farm system. I also can somewhat get on board with a relegation system and/or revenue sharing setup to increase parity, and do think the league could easily contract 4-6 teams and spread that talent around.

I would agree. The D-League should be a developmental league. I'd even be open to the draft being more rounds then (and maybe not necessarily broadcast beyond the first two rounds).

I would love to eliminate conferences and divisions all together and have playoffs be the best 16 teams league wide. Currently teams play 2 games against each out of conference opponent and 4 games against in conference opponents (some only play 3 due to the 82 game season). You could easily make each team play all others 3 times, then seed by record 1-16 for the playoffs. this system ensures that the best teams are always represented in the playoffs

Eh, I'm still in favor of Conferences and Divisions. I think by getting rid of 2 divisions and bringing back the Atlantic-Central-Midwest-Pacific Division and eliminating a few of the smaller market teams that really haven't ever done anything in the NBA (Toronto, Charlotte, Minnesota, New Orleans) you could set something up like

Atlantic Division
Boston
Miami
New York
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Washington
Orlando

Central Division
Chicago
Indiana
Detroit
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Atlanta

Midwest Division
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Houston
Memphis
Dallas
Utah
Denver Nuggets

Pacific Division
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Golden State
Portland
Sacramento
Phoenix

Playoffs would go strictly by record in Conference. Division winners would be guaranteed a playoff spot, but obviously seeding would be based on record. In this system you have less of

Liked Posts:
I'd get rid of the jump ball for possession disputes. I'm not a fan of the possession arrow either. But there's got to be a better way to decide this.

I'd try to help the officials somewhat by giving the rules of thumb in an effort to bring more consistency. For example, on a charge/blocking play, I'd have the officials give the offense the benefit of the doubt. Taking a charge is kind of a dangerous play. I'd try. To build into it a greater degree of risk for defensive players trying to take a charge. This wouldn't be getting rid of charges but it should be obvious to gave a charge called.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd like the NBA to be a league where Derrick Rose never gets hurt :(

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
1. I would change when the season starts, the NBA is a distraction during football season so it should start on Christmas every year.
2. Get rid of fouling out of the game
3. Make all shooting fouls the "1+1" type free throws BUT make all non-shooting fouls 1 shot plus ball on the side to keep people from constantly fouling.
4. Too many players sitting on the bench so cut the roster to 10 active players on the team
5. Every team has an 8-10 man D-League team that fits under the salary cap
6. Lift the 1 year college requirement so that rookies can go directly to the D-League
7. Injured or released players don't count against the cap

theTruth21

Liked Posts:
I would agree. The D-League should be a developmental league. I'd even be open to the draft being more rounds then (and maybe not necessarily broadcast beyond the first two rounds).

Eh, I'm still in favor of Conferences and Divisions. I think by getting rid of 2 divisions and bringing back the Atlantic-Central-Midwest-Pacific Division and eliminating a few of the smaller market teams that really haven't ever done anything in the NBA (Toronto, Charlotte, Minnesota, New Orleans) you could set something up like

Atlantic Division
Boston
Miami
New York
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Washington
Orlando

Central Division
Chicago
Indiana
Detroit
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Atlanta

Midwest Division
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Houston
Memphis
Dallas
Utah
Denver Nuggets

Pacific Division
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Golden State
Portland
Sacramento
Phoenix

Playoffs would go strictly by record in Conference. Division winners would be guaranteed a playoff spot, but obviously seeding would be based on record. In this system you have less of

Yeah, the draft could be longer, but probably not televised, maybe just an internet stream or something. Mostly guys no one has followed.

Any particular reason? I think your post got cut-off. I think playing everyone in the league gets you the best chance to get the best 16 teams in the playoffs...or you could drop that number to 14 w/ a top 2 getting byes or 12 since the total pool of teams would be reduced from the contraction. But any reason you prefer the conference/division format?