Hypothetical: Would You Trade 2019 Bears Defense for Patrick Mahomey

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pitching shutouts until the second half or being a boss QB?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would trade being the chiefs for being the bears, yes. There's more potential for longevity there. A good defense is harder to maintain logistically than it is a HOF QB. You can always attempt to rebuild the D as you go, can't be said about having potentially the best ever QB.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. I like that we routinely have great defenses, and defenses still win championships when it's all said and done. But I don't know why it's so hard for us to simply have competence at QB. We perpetually have a game manager or a turnover machine.

We could win a SB with old ass Phillip Rivers right now.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Replacing the defense with what level of play?
If say that would mean swapping defenses and QB's, no.
The Chiefs D is 18th and has given up over double the points the Bears D has.
And Mahomes would have to deal with the non running game and shitty oline play, which he could make look better, but it still would bring him down a few notches.
Finally, one injury and the Bears would be done. We already see this defense can win games with the #1 QB out and with several injuries of its own.

So...

No.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Mahomes would have to deal with the non running game and shitty oline play, which he could make look better, but it still would bring him down a few notches.

You're right, he could make them look better. But he would also make our receivers look A LOT BETTER.

Could you imagine ARob, Miller, Wims, and Gabriel being hit in stride for once? Our WRs would reach their max potential because unlike Mitch, Mahomes could see our WRs when they're open and use a little anticipation too.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Would I trade the Bears D, for the Chiefs D + Mahomes? Yes, 100%, but i'd like cry and stuff while doing it.

Mahomes is the best player at the most important position in all of sports, let alone football. And barring injury he has like 15 years of career in front of him. I love this defense, but I have a lot more faith in this organization building a competent D around Mahomes in his 15 year window, than I do of them building a competent QB around this D in their 2?3? year window.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
together they would win a championship, no question.

I think without each other we could still be asking this in 3 years...with no clear answer.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Okay, I'll bite. Let's properly phrase this. Would you rather:

Have a franchise QB for the next 12+ years and ~$87M in cap space to build a defense

or

Have an $87M cap space defense and the current offensive roster

Starting fresh you can probably build a decent defense or more accurately put you'd be at a good spot to build a defense.

I think the big difference maker is the long term vision. Barring injury Mahomes will be a top 5 QB for 12+ years. I can say with a very high degree of confidence that this defense will turnover many times in the next 12 years and probably won't be a top 5 in that time.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No. Because we'd still not be able to run the ball and then end up giving up 50 points a game because of it.

Sure we'd score 50 too, but that shit won't work in the playoffs against a good team who can dominate the clock. Barely worked against the Lions.1

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Would it mean that Mahomes would then start over Trubisky?
Mahomes would be given the opportunity to compete with Mitch.

Sorry, I meant to say Mitchell...

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Listen up, chumps. People who say they aren’t taking this trade are meatballs. I love this defense just as much as the next bears fan and they may even be capable of winning a Super Bowl but Mahomes is capable of wining several Super Bowls. There are two teams in this league - teams with a franchise guy and teams without. The teams with Franchise guys win Super Bowls. I’m taking this trade all day and wouldn’t think twice about it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Considering the Chiefs last year had the worst defense in the league, yet took the Patriots to OT in the conference championship game, I would think the answer is pretty obvious.