I can blame

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, okay, fair. The quality is still as good as ever. I'm just biased because everyone blindly supports Weber's, but they don't give business to other, equally good/better bakers with competitive or better prices. Then those good bakers close shop/change recipes to something cheap.

Off-topic, but what I'm talking about is that suburban mentality. Where the only businesses that survive, are trusted brands, not local. Weber's isn't a franchise brand, but they get the same favorable loyalty from consumers. I like unique and local places, some suck, others are the best. But that is part of the fun with exploring and expanding.
...then people with this suburban mentality wake up one day, and wonder why their town only has a walmart and a target.

Speaking to your off-topic point, a lot of suburbs have started "buy local" ad campaigns. I don't really know how effective they are. Some things will never change like local hardware stores aren't going to be thriving over Home Depot/Lowes. I personally try to avoid most chain restaurants if I can. I try to go to independent places or places that have recently just started expanding (There's a a brick oven pizza place in Lombard that I love that started in 2007 and expanded to Naperville and Wheaton in the past few years. DMK Burger started out in Chicago and expanded to Lombard as another example).

Where I like now in GDH, I'm surrounded by chains though, so its difficult to find independent places, but I often don't have to try too​ far to find something.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Speaking to your off-topic point, a lot of suburbs have started "buy local" ad campaigns. I don't really know how effective they are. Some things will never change like local hardware stores aren't going to be thriving over Home Depot/Lowes. I personally try to avoid most chain restaurants if I can. I try to go to independent places or places that have recently just started expanding (There's a a brick oven pizza place in Lombard that I love that started in 2007 and expanded to Naperville and Wheaton in the past few years. DMK Burger started out in Chicago and expanded to Lombard as another example).

Where I like now in GDH, I'm surrounded by chains though, so its difficult to find independent places, but I often don't have to try too​ far to find something.

:clap:

If you discover anything good, share the wealth.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, okay, fair. The quality is still as good as ever. I'm just biased because everyone blindly supports Weber's, but they don't give business to other, equally good/better bakers with competitive or better prices. Then those good bakers close shop/change recipes to something cheap.

Off-topic, but what I'm talking about is that suburban mentality. Where the only businesses that survive, are trusted brands, not local. Weber's isn't a franchise brand, but they get the same favorable loyalty from consumers. I like unique and local places, some suck, others are the best. But that is part of the fun with exploring and expanding.
...then people with this suburban mentality wake up one day, and wonder why their town only has a walmart and a target.
You sound like my dad :lol: we have a family rule that on vacations we won't eat from any chain place. For example if we go out to eat breakfast, Denny's, IHOP, etc are all not allowed. Why eat at Applebee's in Florida on vacation when you can have Applebee's anywhere?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You sound like my dad :lol: we have a family rule that on vacations we won't eat from any chain place. For example if we go out to eat breakfast, Denny's, IHOP, etc are all not allowed. Why eat at Applebee's in Florida on vacation when you can have Applebee's anywhere?

It's no coincidence that the best restaurants I have ever been to, are all exclusively local. Local places take advantage of the best locally available foods, are competitive, improve recipes, and offer the visitor a unique experience. It's also no coincidence that the worst restaurants I have ever been to are also local and run down, worse than a Burger King that cleans the kitchen once a month. The good thing is, today you can find a lot of sites with reviews to narrow choices. So it's not a shot in the dark.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
And the chips.

czuB5fb.jpg

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's actual a personal rule of mine as well. The exception being In n Out and similar places because we don't have that in the Midwest. I always try to go for a local place when I travel because I want to try new things. Often times, those small places are really good. Unless they're run down like Crys said

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I make a point to do that on vacations to go to places I can't go at home. Sometimes those places end up being chains though (Sometimes I don't even know).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Why just on vacations? :D

Shoot, none of us(that are active in this topic) live in bumfuck nowhere. Loads of local places still exist. Just not as many as some of us would like.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why just on vacations? :D

Shoot, none of us(that are active in this topic) live in bumfuck nowhere. Loads of local places still exist. Just not as many as some of us would like.
Vernon Hills doesn't really have that many local places. :shrug:

There is a place called El Famous Burrito that is a pretty good Mexican place, but other than that, I haven't really encountered any non chain places.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

There is a place called El Famous Burrito that is a pretty good Mexican place, but other than that, I haven't really encountered any non chain places.

Do you like Sushi? I heard about an awesome sushi bar in Vernon Hills, but I can't remember the name.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

It's a chain, and if that is your good, I need to get you to some places out west and South

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you like Sushi? I heard about an awesome sushi bar in Vernon Hills, but I can't remember the name.
I love sushi, but I have heard of no such sushi bar. There are sushi places in VH, one of them happens to be by the aforementioned El Famous and if there was any awesome sushi bar that would probably be it because everything else is an overpriced chain place. Trying to remember what that place was called...I'll get back to you on that

EDIT: the place I was thinking of is Krazy Sushi. I don't think it's anything special. And it's apparently closed now.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's a chain, and if that is your good, I need to get you to some places out west and South
lol is it a chain? had no idea. I don't think it's like the best place ever, but it was above average as far as Mexican places go. La Bamba definitely kicks its butt though as far as chain Mexican food goes.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We have a local chicken place that IMO makes the best chicken fingers and sauce anywhere.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
We have a local chicken place that IMO makes the best chicken fingers and sauce anywhere.

Oh, don't you start with that now.

We all know chickens don't have fingers, and buffaloes don't have wings.

Jessica_Simpson_Ditzy_vs_Dumb.jpg