I have followed Andy Dalton for his entire career. Here is the scoop on Dalton.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Listen he’s better than both of our QBs from last year. It’s just the buzz of the last month has been so much that our expectations got too high.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here’s to drafting 2 starting tackles!.... or it’s gonna be a long season with our folding chair Oline.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the board. A Texas lawyer (Select Sports Group?) who is an indefatigable defender of Dalton? Who once "met" Dalton (technically speaking one only really "meets" someone once, right?) And as someone who carefully distinguishes between Jerry Jones' capacity as owner vs his ability to manage personnel, I would wager that you are perhaps a bit closer to the action than you let on.

Regardless, this is a compelling post (you represent your client well). As you say, if the o-line can protect him (i.e. add substantial talent through draft and free agency), and surround him with additional talent at WR then Dalton has a decent chance to flourish here. I think you will find (as others have pointed out in this thread) that the biggest obstacle to Dalton's success will be Nagy's play calling (besides the inability to actually do any of the above talent evaluation). Dalton's ability to read defenses will be put to the test. If he can make adjustments at the line, and has time to get the ball off, his experience and accuracy will be an welcomed upgrade. If he doesn't have protection then he'll be Foles 2.0 (even though I agree he's a better overall QB). Trubisky's strength was his mobility which was needed far more than it should have been (ironically, having a terrible line was to Trubisky's benefit - ugh). And extending plays allowed for an aging defense to catch their collective breath. A well managed offense that more consistently keeps the defense rested and can move the ball with regularity would be a nice change of Pace. But these are merely conditional statements,: they are big "ifs." They say that hope springs eternal, but I think you'll find that after several decades of QB play that can only be described as ineptitude incarnate, hope is pretty hard to come by. As was once so eloquently said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again." Or something like that.

Ha! Nope, not a sports agent, have only seen / met / shook hands with AD once in all my life, yes a lawyer but nothing to do with sports or AD or anything remotely related. Just a fan who admires this QB. The world is so chock full of rotten people who also happen to be famous, and AD has carried himself so admirably, that it's hard not to like him. So we keep up with him, and he is one of the men I hold up to my sons to admire. And that's pretty much the only connection.

As for the team, I am just now learning about you guys. It will be interesting to watch. You guys are snake-bit at QB it seems, so I get the angst (losing out on Wilson after the hype), so it's just wait-and-see at this point.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Now do Bill Lazor.

Hamdent

Liked Posts:
Ha! Nope, not a sports agent, have only seen / met / shook hands with AD once in all my life, yes a lawyer but nothing to do with sports or AD or anything remotely related. Just a fan who admires this QB. The world is so chock full of rotten people who also happen to be famous, and AD has carried himself so admirably, that it's hard not to like him. So we keep up with him, and he is one of the men I hold up to my sons to admire. And that's pretty much the only connection.

As for the team, I am just now learning about you guys. It will be interesting to watch. You guys are snake-bit at QB it seems, so I get the angst (losing out on Wilson after the hype), so it's just wait-and-see at this point.

Fair enough. I tend to forget how many lawyers there are in Texas. :) As it stands, it may be that you are Andy's second most enthusiastic lawyer supporter in Texas (how's that for a completely original sentence ). Snake-bit is one way to put it. If Wilson had been a free agent I would have bought into the hype (obviously). But to trust Pace in a trade? I kept waiting for the headline where we gave away 21 draft picks. Signing Dalton was more like dodging a bullet.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can we just call this for what it is? An obvious 1 year bridge stop-gap QB.

Nagy/Pace failed with their guy Foles. Failed with their shitty 2 Tackles. 1 is now gone. Surely drafting at least 1. 2nd T to be drafted also or FA $$ (possibly at the cost of losing ARob?).

Nobody expected Bears to be SB contenders unless Wilson/Watson panned out (still could happen at a discount come August stalemate situation in HOU/SEA - which also allows Bears to not blow this year's draft but the following 3. (bonus given current other needs to fill *cough* 2 TACKLES!!).

They can also still draft a mid-Rd developmental QB now & blow wad next draft on 1st Rd QB if still no last minute Watson/Wilson this summer. OR could still blow their wad and reach this draft!?? (presuming a longer leash) ?‍♂️
AD is NOT THE GUY for anything but a bridge, but options still exist. Feels like another Foles/Glennon addition really.

AD > Mitch from what I'm hearing, but could be homerism reads like this OP. ?‍♂️

Basically not worth burning jerseys over, but certainly not THE solution either. At worst gear up for another 8-8 year of semi-rebuild, but at least not blowing the next 4 years of equity....YET.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
theres people in here trying to talk themselves into andy dalton

like literally getting excited and not even ironic

this fuckin team, I tell you what

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Can we just call this for what it is? An obvious 1 year bridge stop-gap QB.

Nagy/Pace failed with their guy Foles. Failed with their shitty 2 Tackles. 1 is now gone. Surely drafting at least 1. 2nd T to be drafted also or FA $$ (possibly at the cost of losing ARob?).

Nobody expected Bears to be SB contenders unless Wilson/Watson panned out (still could happen at a discount come August stalemate situation in HOU/SEA - which also allows Bears to not blow this year's draft but the following 3. (bonus given current other needs to fill *cough* 2 TACKLES!!).

They can also still draft a mid-Rd developmental QB now & blow wad next draft on 1st Rd QB if still no last minute Watson/Wilson this summer. OR could still blow their wad and reach this draft!?? (presuming a longer leash) ?‍♂️
AD is NOT THE GUY for anything but a bridge, but options still exist. Feels like another Foles/Glennon addition really.

AD > Mitch from what I'm hearing, but could be homerism reads like this OP. ?‍♂️

Basically not worth burning jerseys over, but certainly not THE solution either. At worst gear up for another 8-8 year of semi-rebuild, but at least not blowing the next 4 years of equity....YET.
IMO, Bears F.O could of easily came out and said look.. we cant do much, no assets, need to re-tool and hopefully get this fixed to the best of their abilities and work on finding a QB in the draft but nope. They let the hype override us and made a huge mistake by actually picking up Dalton on 10mil/1yr deal which could of been used on A-Rob to ease a faulty year over. Don't forget, there was a lot of conviction going on everywhere from here to the news to the radio and social media. I'm totally down with tanking and firing Pace/Nagy and Co. before mid-season, and PLEASE don't let pace/nagy trade anymore future picks.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO, Bears F.O could of easily came out and said look.. we cant do much, no assets, need to re-tool and hopefully get this fixed to the best of their abilities and work on finding a QB in the draft but nope. They let the hype override us and made a huge mistake by actually picking up Dalton on 10mil/1yr deal which could of been used on A-Rob to ease a faulty year over. Don't forget, there was a lot of conviction going on everywhere from here to the news to the radio and social media. I'm totally down with tanking and firing Pace/Nagy and Co. before mid-season, and PLEASE don't let pace/nagy trade anymore future picks.

I kinda hope management/ownership handcuffed them from blowing the future (unless Wilson/Watson), which all sources say they legit tried firing all bullets for. Could still happen mid/late summer?
Man, CCS will implode if they don't move up for a QB this draft. haaa

Dalton is an overpaid backup and underpaid bottom tier starter, but sold to us & Bears brass as > Mitch.
Redundant to Foles IMO, but shows further effort (to brass & fans apparently) since they couldn't win with Foles. We'll have to wait & see who ends up taking snaps this year.

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I kinda hope management/ownership handcuffed them from blowing the future (unless Wilson/Watson), which all sources say they legit tried firing all bullets for. Could still happen mid/late summer?

Dalton is an overpaid backup and underpaid bottom tier starter, but sold to us & Bears brass as > Mitch.
Redundant to Foles IMO, but shows further effort since they couldn't win with Foles. We'll have to wait & see who ends up taking snaps this year.
I think it's been mentioned that Bears are handcuffed now, they had made their bed elsewise. the way the whole thing played out since Monday was telling, the fact this is the first FA signing by the team. No other team besides 49ers had interest in Dalton supposedly, it when down after the rumor came out Mitchell & 49ers "talked".

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

the deeper thing is....when we get a new GM & HC, we need someone with both success & experience. For me, I never expected much from Pace/Nagy. They came to us with no success & experience as GM & HC.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Redundant to Foles IMO, but shows further effort (to brass & fans apparently) since they couldn't win with Foles. We'll have to wait & see who ends up taking snaps this year.

Couldn't win with Foles ? I doubt you win with any qb in that situation

I expect another qb battle Foles will win and everyone will really be mad that we spent that 10 million on Dalton . The Dalton moves tells me that they are really too scary for it to ever actually work out in Chicago

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couldn't win with Foles ? I doubt you win with any qb in that situation

I expect another qb battle Foles will win and everyone will really be mad that we spent that 10 million on Dalton . The Dalton moves tells me that they are really too scary for it to ever actually work out in Chicago

Agreed that nobody could succeed with that OL & Nagy playcalling; but I'm more hopeful for Dalton than Foles myself.
...only ever so slightly ?‍♂️ and assuming they draft a startable LT to protect & give D Monty a chance to rev up.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
the deeper thing is....when we get a new GM & HC, we need someone with both success & experience. For me, I never expected much from Pace/Nagy. They came to us with no success & experience as GM & HC.
exactly, Pace didn't draft or trade for Brees, saint's were also good cause of Sean, which was a bonus for the Saints and as for Nagy, he got to call a few plays for the chiefs but he had Reid around him but without enough experience to be a full-grown play caller.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
exactly, Pace didn't draft or trade for Brees, saint's were also good cause of Sean, which was a bonus for the Saints and as for Nagy, he got to call a few plays for the chiefs but he had Reid around him but without enough experience to be a full-grown play caller.

And this is what pisses me off. Our Bear ownership doesn't give a damn about getting ppl in here who have a track of building playoff and or SB bound teams. Our Bear ownership doesn't give a damn about winning SB's. And who they hire always shows it.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And this is what pisses me off. Our Bear ownership doesn't give a damn about getting ppl in here who have a track of building playoff and or SB bound teams. Our Bear ownership doesn't give a damn about winning SB's. And who they hire always shows it.
Trestman and Fox regimes comes to mind, both regimes had bad Gm's/coaches collaborations, players didn't fit Marc's culture and Fox was careless about Pace process, re. trubisky and mitchell's growth. Lovie and Angelo were closest to actually winning it all at one point, suddenly, they get fired and the players were upset and Trestman really rubbed those player wrong and started the entire fallout.