I have my doubts Emery is gong to pick Trent Murphy

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I have my doubts Emery is gong to draft Trent Murphy. Windy City has been touting this guy so thats why I was paying attention to him. Windy does a good job identifying college talent but if Scouts Inc assessment of him is correct Murphy does not fit Emerys apparent preference for guys with plus speed for their size. Below is something Scouts Inc wrote about him under guys who have something to prove. Trent may have quality practices and a very good game but Emery likes guys with exceptional speed for their size and he apparently has to prove he has good enough speed for his size.

Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford
Murphy has a prototypical frame (6-5 3/8, 255) and has been a productive leader on the Cardinal defense that has been one of the best in the country the past few years. However, there are some concerns about Murphy's lack of quickness and overall athleticism. Scouts will take a long look at him in space and during one-on-one drills where Murphy will need to prove he wasn't just a product of a defense that played well as a whole.

I strongly suspect that Emery looks for a quick fix for the pass rush from FA more than the draft. I still believe best value for a defender for the Bears in the first round is a corner. The second round looks to have some first round talent fall into the second round so there could very well be a future Bears starter in that round which IMO is most likely to be a DT or safety.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Trent Murphy definitely doesn't weigh 255 lbs... he weighs 265+ at this point and might be dropping some weight just to show some extra speed at the combine...

He has by far the best technique of any defensive end in the draft he just isn't the best athlete in the draft... He also is a high motor guy who plays with a really bad attitude...

Murphy was easily the best player on the defense for Stanford this year... If you watched the bowl game you saw that the opposing team wanted no part of Murphy in the run game and chose to run away from him most of the game...

If he wouldn't have dropped into coverage as an OLB and kept his hand in the dirt every down he would have likely had more sacks and TFL...

he also plays the run extremely well...

This guy is totally opposite of what shea was in college.. shea was an olb who pass rushed... Trent Murphy is a DE who played as a 3-4 OLB and fell into coverage sometimes...

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Trent Murphy definitely doesn't weigh 255 lbs... he weighs 265+ at this point and might be dropping some weight just to show some extra speed at the combine...

He has by far the best technique of any defensive end in the draft he just isn't the best athlete in the draft... He also is a high motor guy who plays with a really bad attitude...

Murphy was easily the best player on the defense for Stanford this year... If you watched the bowl game you saw that the opposing team wanted no part of Murphy in the run game and chose to run away from him most of the game...

If he wouldn't have dropped into coverage as an OLB and kept his hand in the dirt every down he would have likely had more sacks and TFL...

he also plays the run extremely well...

This guy is totally opposite of what shea was in college.. shea was an olb who pass rushed... Trent Murphy is a DE who played as a 3-4 OLB and fell into coverage sometimes...

This 1000+ 1

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Murphy is very similar to Shea in his build. Murphy is the same weight, little taller and is better in the run game but with no where near the explosiveness to be productive as a pass rusher. Shouldn't even be considered in the 1st round and won't be considered by Emery. Great college player that won't make it in the NFL.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Kony Ealy would seem to fit the "Emery profile" more than Trent Murphy.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait Chris Sojka still doesn't believe Trent Murphy weighs 252 lbs? I mean....

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
great lets draft shea mccelian part 2 at no.14

Uh, no. Murphy has prototypical size at 6'6" as opposed to small Shea at 6'3". Looking at all of the HoF DE's with few exceptions they're all 6'6" ish. At Murphy's size, he can handle weight a lot better than Shea at 6'3".

Edit: Now, what's between the ears, is an entirely different matter.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys just want to extend the streak of only picking white guys in the first round to six years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Murphy being 252lbs was a little disappointing for me as I was hoping he would show up at 270lbs, which is what I think he played at this season.

My guess is he has dropped weight in training for the combine and will play at closer to 270.

He does not fit with the athletic profile that Emery seems to favor that would be guys like Hageman, Tuitt, and Ealy.

But he does have a similar attitude and effort level like Kyle Long in fact his game reminds me of Kyle Long in terms of all out effort and physicality.

I would not take Murphy at 14, but with a trade down or in the 2nd I would in a heart beat.

Liked Posts:
I would love to get Trent Murphy in the first. For people who are worried about the the "white guy' thing, make no mistake Murphy is no McClellin. Just watch some tape from when both players were in college. McClellin never had any real power in his game & relied speed & a spin. Murphy on the other hand does have some pop in his game, can handle contact, can bull rush, has much better technique than McClellin, speed of his own, & can play standing up or with his hand in the dirt. I think Murphy would be a great pick, & even better if we could land a kid like Sutton or DaQuan Jones in the second round also. If Emery has Murphy on his board I would support it.

Liked Posts:
Murphy being 252lbs was a little disappointing for me as I was hoping he would show up at 270lbs, which is what I think he played at this season.

My guess is he has dropped weight in training for the combine and will play at closer to 270.

He does not fit with the athletic profile that Emery seems to favor that would be guys like Hageman, Tuitt, and Ealy.

But he does have a similar attitude and effort level like Kyle Long in fact his game reminds me of Kyle Long in terms of all out effort and physicality.

I would not take Murphy at 14, but with a trade down or in the 2nd I would in a heart beat.

That's what I was thinking. Emery needs to get a good player & get an extra pick or two. IMO the Bears somehow have to get two D-lineman & a DB early in the draft this year. Trading back, getting Murphy & a pick or two, IMO would be like having our cake & eating it too.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I don't get the point of this thread. There will be 250 plus prospects drafted. Only 32 in the first round- only one selected by the Bears. Figure the odds of any guy being picked by the Bears is 1/300. Statistically- the odds of the Bears drafting any one specific player are very long. I don't think Emery will draft _____ fill in the blank. Statistical odds say I will most likely be correct.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get the point of this thread. There will be 250 plus prospects drafted. Only 32 in the first round- only one selected by the Bears. Figure the odds of any guy being picked by the Bears is 1/300. Statistically- the odds of the Bears drafting any one specific player are very long. I don't think Emery will draft _____ fill in the blank. Statistical odds say I will most likely be correct.
There's a thing called weight in statistics that correlates directly to probability. If all 300+ prospects were rated the same (same weight) your concept would be true. Since they don't the concept is flawed.

Not trying to be a dick just trying to help.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
There's a thing called weight in statistics that correlates directly to probability. If all 300+ prospects were rated the same (same weight) your concept would be true. Since they don't the concept is flawed.

Not trying to be a dick just trying to help.

Right- for the sake of simplicity- I kept it out- but let's say there are 50 prospects with 1st or 2nd round grades (gotta include the 2nd round graded players- see Kyle Long)- that still gives them a 2% chance (1 in 50) of selecting any one player. You could further weight it according to projected draft slot (1-10, 10-20). etc. The point is- singling out one player and saying we likely won't select him seems self evident.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I saw that Trent was 252 lbs and I am really disappointed that he decided to lose weight for the draft... I thought he played well as a DE and dominated with his pass rush moves all season long... I thought he played well as an OLB but projected better as a DE... He is much better with his hand in the dirt...

The fact that he lost that weight is discouraging enough to make me not want to draft him in the first round unless for some reason we switched to a 3-4 or unless he were to show up at the combine running between a 4.6 and 4.7 forty time... The reason you take off weight in the NFL is to gain speed and agility... it has to be significant enough leap in speed to even consider him a 1st rounder....