I Know Our 1st Round Pick Is Protected...But

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought it over. They should resign Paul Malholm again. He won games here. He knows Bosio. He is good for 6 mil per and should net 12 wins. That is a bargain IMO.

Agreed. But the only problem is, he know if he comes here there's a great chance he'll be traded. I doubt he wants that.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Agreed. But the only problem is, he know if he comes here there's a great chance he'll be traded. I doubt he wants that.

Why? He gets a contract, probably with incentives and an optioned 2nd year, and if he pitches good enough, he either stays with the Cubs at worst case scenario, or goes to a team in the playoff hunt while still making the same amount of money.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? He gets a contract, probably with incentives and an optioned 2nd year, and if he pitches good enough, he either stays with the Cubs at worst case scenario, or goes to a team in the playoff hunt while still making the same amount of money.

The money, yes. But we don't know how he is. He might want to be in a stable location where you can just stay. Maybe he's a big family man and wants to see them regulary.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The money, yes. But we don't know how he is. He might want to be in a stable location where you can just stay. Maybe he's a big family man and wants to see them regulary.

Well family man, I know nothing about. I would think if he chooses a team like the Cubs, they are considered a big market team and are more apt to give him a little more money or a better contractual offer with the state of the team versus let's say Washington, Baltimore, or Kansas City.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

This is the very type of player who should be attracted to the cubs. As for the family man aspect, I made this argument when Tanaka was still choosing. You're on the road half the week anyways. It's not like say football where you have a game on the road then you spend the rest of the week at home.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
all I know about him is he is heavy into Twitter and a church man.

He liked being a Cub the first time around and he used it as a spring board to the Braves.

Honestly it was not a bad experience the first time around and these guys know it is a business.

I expect him to fish some offers but come the 11th hour he will sign ant major league offer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market
By Jeff Todd [January 28 at 3:44pm CST]
A.J. Burnett plans to play this year, reports Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and the hurler may be open to pitching for a team other than the Pirates. This news throws a considerable wrinkle into the free agent pitching market.

Prior to today's news, the righty had been expected to pitch for the Pirates or retire, with the latter option looking increasingly likely. Now, he becomes one of the best arms available on the open market.

Burnett, 37, is coming off of two outstanding seasons in Pittsburgh. After a 202 1/3-inning, 3.51 ERA effort in 2012, Burnett threw 191 innings of 3.30 ball last year. He led all National League starters in 2013 with 9.8 K/9 and a 56.5% ground ball rate. Among free agents, Burnett had the lowest FIP (2.80), xFIP (2.92), and SIERA (3.10).

Burnett landed in the ninth position among baseball's top fifty free agents, according to MLBTR's Tim Dierkes. For teams looking to add impact without taking on long-term obligations, Burnett makes for a tantalizing option. That is especially so since, unlike other top rotation arms that remain, he is not tied to draft-pick compensation since the Bucs felt they could not afford to make a qualifying offer. As MLBTR's Steve Adams wrote before the offseason, Burnett would fit nicely in even the game's top rotations.

Pirates GM Neal Huntington has previously indicated that the club was not in a position to pay Burnett at the top of the market, though the club has made clear recently that it remains interested in a reunion. Commenting on today's report, Huntingon told MLB.com's Tom Singer that he was not aware of any new direction from Burnett but could not rule the possibility. "I can't say he has not [decided to test the market]. I'm not aware of every discussion there might have been," said Huntington. "All I can say is, he has been very public with his intent to pitch in Pittsburgh or not pitch at all." Huntington further said that the club's "process continues with A.J." and that there was "nothing new to report," Sawchik reports on Twitter.

The Orioles have been mentioned as a possible alternative landing spot for Burnett given his reported preference to play in close proximity to his Maryland home. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets that Burnett "would be at the top of the club's list." Other Mid-Atlantic clubs could presumably also be particularly appealing to Burnett, and the Phillies have reportedly also expressed interest, Sawchik tweets.

If Burnett sets his sights further afield geographically, many other teams could conceivably be interested. The Rangers have some interest in the hurler, tweets Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. Burnett reportedly nixed a deal that would have sent him to the Angels back in 2012 -- the Yankees instead dealt him to the Pirates -- leading MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez to peg the Halos (via Twitter) as a longshot to land him via free agency.

The entry of Burnett onto the market could be bad news for the remaining free agent starting crop and could also lead to movement in other segments of the player market. Pittsburgh reportedly will not sign a replacement pitcher if Burnett does indeed leave town, but could repurpose funds towards a first baseman. If he decides to head for another team that is in the market for starters, Burnett would have a significant impact on the balance of supply and demand. And if the Pirates look to add a bat through free agency or, perhaps more likely, via trade, an inverse effect could take result in that arena.

patg006

Liked Posts:
AJ Burnett and Paul Maholm. That's how low its gotten.

:fap:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs could trade Samardzija and get a good package back. Plus, sign Ubaldo Jimenez for a little more and lose 2nd round draft pick. I would do that. Pretend the players you get back for Samardzija are one you drafted in 2nd round and way more proven.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What's wrong with either of those guys?

Nothing at all. Burnett right now is the best arm on the market.

Even though I'm betting Burnett goes to Balt. where his lives. Maholm is a wild card.

It would depend on what they got back from shark. I though of Sanchez and Happ for Shark. Happ hits the rotation and Sanchez becomes the top arm in the system at AA with Johnson and Edwards in the same rotation.

A good package: Happ/Sanchez => Shark and : would lowball with Brett Jackson but I would go up to Matt Szczur in terms of value.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
If anybody I want Maholm back. Would serve as a good back end guy. Our team has enough middle to end of the rotation types, we don't need Santana. But if we trade Shark we should sign Santana. Actually that sounds like a good idea to me. Especially with the Jays back in the mix.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Blue Jays Notes: Jimenez, Santana, Anthopoulos
By Mark Polishuk [January 29 at 9:49pm CST]
The Blue Jays haven't made any offers to free agent starters but that could change in the near future, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports. The Jays have considered such options as Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, A.J. Burnett and Bronson Arroyo, and have also looked at adding starting pitching (such as the Rays' David Price and the Cubs' Jeff Samardzija) in trades. While Jimenez might not be Toronto's top choice, the team has nevertheless looked into his medical records and other "extensive background work" on the right-hander.

Here's some more from general manager Alex Anthopoulos, who spoke to reporters at the Jays' state of the franchise event tonight. All of Anthopoulos' comments are from the Twitter feeds of Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith and Shi Davidi...

Anthopoulos noted that any of four free agent starters (Santana, Jimenez, Burnett, Arroyo) could "all be a significant improvement" to the Jays' rotation.
The idea of pursuing a free agent is becoming more appealing to the club, Anthopoulos said, since prices are beginning to drop.
In terms of internal pitching prospects, Anthopoulos praised Marcus Stroman, comparing the 22-year-old righty to Athletics right-hander Sonny Gray. While ideally Stroman would spend 2014 in the minors, Anthopoulos believes Stroman is ready for the majors now. Stroman made solid showing in recent top 100 prospects lists from Baseball Prospectus (ranked 27th), MLB.com (r55th) and ESPN's Keith Law (58th), and Baseball America considers Stroman to be the second-best prospect in Toronto's system, behind only Aaron Sanchez.
Pitching seems to be Toronto's focus, as Anthopoulos said the club isn't actively pursuing position players. We heard yesterday that the Jays were "in the mix" for Stephen Drew to fill their hole at second base.
Anthopoulos said the team has had dialogue with most of the top free agents and continues to talk with both free agents and with other teams about trades, though "I don't know that I'd say were close on anything."

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its not just the pick you give up. Its the slot money. Cubs will not give up the 2nd RD slot money