Idea: Jordan Howard isnt a great fit.. so next year, draft option

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Howard isn't gonna settle for being a situational back in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss voluntary work outs in the offseason and be a late addition to camp. Right now he's being a good teammate but that will change in a contract year. Without a 1st and a 2nd in the upcoming draft, Pace will likely deal Howard to get another pick.
We're only playing him $720k in 2019.

Howard might ask for trade and miss voluntary camp. But I'm not certain yet that Nagy should, or will, settle with having Howard be a situational back.

Nagy withdrew a lot of his playbook to help Trubisky, which has been a great success. I think Nagy can, and will, make Howard a very powerful weapon. With Howard, Cohen and Trubisky, Nagy would be foolish not to maintain a good rush/pass balance... especially in coming winter, in chicago, in a outside field in Soldiers field.

The run blocking has to improve, and Nagy needs to add Howard out of the backfield.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
We're only playing him $720k in 2019, and then have the 5th yr option for 2020.

Howard might ask for trade and miss voluntary camp. But I'm not certain yet that Nagy should, or will, settle with having Howard be a situational back.

Nagy withdrew a lot of his playbook to help Trubisky, which has been a great success. I think Nagy can, and will, make Howard a very powerful weapon. With Howard, Cohen and Trubisky, Nagy would be foolish not to maintain a good rush/pass balance... especially in coming winter, in chicago, in a outside field in Soldiers field.

The run blocking has to improve, and Nagy needs to add Howard out of the backfield.

There is no fifth year option for Howard.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

This has been clearly apparent later in the games...large lead or not.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that only applies to first rounders

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard isn't gonna settle for being a situational back in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss voluntary work outs in the offseason and be a late addition to camp. Right now he's being a good teammate but that will change in a contract year. Without a 1st and a 2nd in the upcoming draft, Pace will likely deal Howard to get another pick.

Yeah, I guess we will see. But if I am the Bears, I keep him until his contract is up unless someone makes an offer (which is not going to happen) then worry about it.

Point being, Howard is a great fit for this system, though in a somewhat more limited role. I don't understand why people are in a hurry to dump him. And nobody is gon give Bears shit for him in trade.

Like many sports, isn't it good to consider a possible good deal before he sees the market and could lose him to FA? Sell while team has control and can get equity back. Pretty common, but have to weigh the player contribution above his replacement vs. the cost to re-sign (not "resign" :rimshot:)

Really hoping Nagy can get him going this year regardless. Dude was killing it til now and wants to ball (and see his stock continue to rise vs. current decline). Sure don't want him getting pissy. He seemed to give up on several badly blocked runs today. Just sat/layed down. Not a great sign.

Let's hope so. Nagy even referred to that in postgame presser. He needs to make better play calls in red zone & 2nd half. I do wonder if teams haven't been selling out vs. the run & forcing an unproven Mitch to beat them so far. Could change if he keeps slingin'.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Howard, while a good power back, makes our offense predictable or less threatening. If he's in the game he's either running up the middle or staying home blocking. He's not running all the different routes that Cohen is. No angle routes, wheel routes, options routes etc.

He definitely has a role in this offense, currently. The problem is his role is predictable and it limits Nagy's play calling options. I've been saying for a while that Howard isn't long for this offense. I expect him to finish out his rookie contract and then we let him walk. We'll probably find another all-purpose back in one of the next two drafts to replace him.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s the run blocking. It’s not like any of our backs, are consistently gouging team in the run game.

His receiving skills are much better this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Good running backs can be found in the midrounds.

Tevin Coleman, Kareen Hunt, Alvin Kamara, James Conner, Kenyan Drake, Alex Collins, Jerick McKinnon and Duke Johnson were all drafted in the 3rd round or later among others.

Buberwin

Liked Posts:
Akrum Wadley is a free agent, I think he'd be a good fit if something were to happen to TC he didn't have a good 40 time at the combine but plays quick in pads

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only the Bears had a GM capable of finding good mid-round talent. :thinking: :beer:

Tom Arrow

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is a great fit and the bears damn Well better keep him.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Jordan Howard is a great fit and the bears damn Well better keep him.

LOL, no he's not.

There's a very small role for him in this offense. His particular skillset, while valuable at times, greatly limits the offense.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Bears will always have a need for a big back for short yardage. Why can't that be Howard? I don't understand what people are expecting from a different back. Bears already have Cohen for the scat back, split slot/wide role.

So if they draft someone, it would be to compliment him. Seems like a lot to go through just to end up with someone just like Howard. Or more likely worse than Howard. Unless people think the Bears are going to find some generational talent in the 5th round.

If anything, I would rather see the Bears focus on Bringing people in to improve run blocking.

The Bears are less dangerous and more predictable when Howard is in there and Cohen is off the field IMO. Always liked Howard but he doesn't fit this system, and making a back like him run out of the gun 90% of the time is just a waste. In the past we needed a complimentary back, now I think we just need a guy who can keep the offense flowing when Cohen is out.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Amazing that people are just now realizing this. But as limited as he can be, he's absolutely dominant as a pass blocker.