If Bears' play in practice games is any sign, look out when it's for real

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Bears' play in practice games is any sign, look out when it's for real

1100x619

If you were judging preseason and training camp by the piss and vinegar the Bears displayed in joint practices with the Patriots, things would be pretty upbeat.

If you're considering everything else from the first practice in Bourbonnais to now after a lifeless 23-7 exhibition loss to the Chiefs, there's reason to be concerned they're heading aimlessly down a path to nowhere.

The Bears avoided being shut out at Soldier Field for the second time this preseason when Connor Shaw came off the bench to relieve backup quarterback Brian Hoyer and tossed a 16-yard touchdown pass to Cameron Meredith. That's a good thing because before this year, in the illustrious history of the NFL's cornerstone franchise, the Bears were shut out only 10 times in preseason, with goose eggs coming against teams like the College All-Stars, Texas All-Stars and Milwaukee Badgers.

Sadly, Shaw left minutes later with a gruesome left leg injury, ending any hope he had of unseating Hoyer as the No. 2.

"A little bit like our first game (22-0 loss to Broncos Aug. 11), except we were seven points better," coach John Fox said. "Obviously, not as good as we would have liked."

Yes, the Bears were missing right guard Kyle Long and tight end Zach Miller, important pieces to the offense. But they were abysmal in the first half against a Chiefs defense that lacked Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Eric Berry, arguably Kansas City's three best players on that side of the ball. Yes, teams want to keep it vanilla in the preseason and not show too much but when your basic plays aren't working, where's the reason for optimism? Two first downs, 18 net yards and zero points was enough to bring out the boo birds among the 48,377 in attendance as Jay Cutler was sacked and fumbled on the final play before halftime.

The Bears were loud in three practices with the Patriots. They were boisterous. They talked a bunch of trash. They weren't going to be pushed around by New England, which has reached the playoffs seven consecutive years. They made a point and left Foxborough, Mass., believing they were better off for the experience.

But before and since there have been a rash of injuries and the offense has been dreadful. They call it preseason for a reason but if you're going to refer to it as glorified practice then keep in mind there is an old adage that you play like you practice.

The talent is far superior to what the Bears had in 2004 when Terry Shea's offense was a joke. Shea, of course, was trying to run Mike Martz's Rams offense and it was a disaster. Dowell Loggains is trying to run "our system," which is what Fox has called the offense the team wants to build on after last year's coordinator Adam Gase departed for the Dolphins. Shea certainly had more coaching experience at the time and there's no questioning Loggains has better skill position players. But it looks like the Bears are in need of more than just a little fine tuning.

Former Titans running back Chris Johnson, who ran for 2,006 yards back in 2009, wasn't out of Tennessee long in 2014 when he labeled Loggains "predictable" as a play caller.

"A lot of the plays when the offensive coordinator was calling them, they were predictable," Johnson told ESPN. "Everybody could tell what was coming."

It's much too early to tell if that is a criticism of Loggains that will be applied here. If Fox sticks to the plan he used a year ago, the starters will not play Thursday at Cleveland in the exhibition finale. That means there are six practices and two walk-throughs between now and the Sept. 11 opener at Houston.

"It's preseason three," left tackle Charles Leno said. "We have some detail things to work on. We know what we have to do. We execute better and we will take care of it."

Cutler missed throws. Alshon Jeffery dropped a throw that would have gone for a big gain. Kevin White ran a bad route and has been largely invisible in preseason. The line didn't pass or run block particularly well. The hope is the return of players who have been missing, and you can add wide receiver Eddie Royal to that list, will provide a boost.

"We're going to kind of have guys in flux coming into the lineup that we've been without," Cutler said. "It's going to help us, make us a little more dynamic and give us a little more explosion. We just have to keep working. The alternative is to say that we're not going to be very good, and that's not going to work for us."

Preseason results don't matter but when you struggle executing, that's an issue that can carry over when wins and losses count.

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-bears-spt-0828-20160827-column.html

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i have a feeling the O is going to be laughably bad this year. I have zero confidence in loggains and without a talented OC crafting an limited O based around limiting jays fuck ups jay is going to be at his worse. So, that combined with poor play calling/game planning by the OC is going to result is something amazingly terrible. I'm thinking an O that might give tuckers D a run for it money in terms of incompetence.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
How can the offense be worse than last year? It makes no sense, unless Loggains is just a buffoon, which i don't believe he is. This article bums me out, but it's premature. They'll be fired up when they play the Texans, i just hope they realize Texans had the best defensive streak going into the playoffs last year and might be better this year, so it's a good thing everyone's expectations of this offense are limited.

Also, that was CJ2K trying to defend his mediocre running more so than putting down the OC. That offense had no weapons, a very aging oline and a very timid RB the year Loggains was calling plays to Jake Locker.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i have a feeling the O is going to be laughably bad this year. I have zero confidence in loggains and without a talented OC crafting an limited O based around limiting jays fuck ups jay is going to be at his worse. So, that combined with poor play calling/game planning by the OC is going to result is something amazingly terrible. I'm thinking an O that might give tuckers D a run for it money in terms of incompetence.

I believe that you are correct in your comparison of Tucker's D to Loggaine's O. I expect a huge number of Cutler scowls and head shakes. The really sad part is that to some extent, he did it to himself as helping ship Marshall and Bennett out of town. When will he reach the conclusion that it really didn't have to be this bad for him. I expect a total meltdown by Cutler this season.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe that you are correct in your comparison of Tucker's D to Loggaine's O. I expect a huge number of Cutler scowls and head shakes. The really sad part is that to some extent, he did it to himself as helping ship Marshall and Bennett out of town. When will he reach the conclusion that it really didn't have to be this bad for him. I expect a total meltdown by Cutler this season.

Let's hope so. Complete meltdown and 2-14 would help the future of the team far more than flat/mediocre and 7-9.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's hope so. Complete meltdown and 2-14 would help the future of the team far more than flat/mediocre and 7-9.

That is probably the sad truth of it. Right now the offense is such a pile of shit that nothing short of a great miracle influx of personnel will help. I say again that they should try their best to trade Cutler and Jeffrey for some high draft picks during this season and try and trade for a young quarterback. Then use their additional draft picks and a ton of free agent money, to totally rebuild the offense starting with a quarterback and an offensive line.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think that Dallas would trade for Cutler? It might be fun to watch Cutler play behind that offensive line and their running backs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think that Dallas would trade for Cutler? It might be fun to watch Cutler play behind that offensive line and their running backs.

Considering the commonplace mentality of CCS posters believing in "players leaving the Bears and ballin out", I would probably die of laughter to see Cutler ball out in Dallas and the ensuing shit show on here. Mind you I fucking hate the Cowboys.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yes, yes I believe that Dallas would trade for Cutler.

Mother of all that is holy ! This place sometimes...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is a distinct possibility

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
After watching both (Cutler and Prescott) this preseason, I would rather have the young Dak Prescott. I doubt the Cowpies would entertain a trade for a 30 something Cutler when they have a young guy that has shown some ability. They'll be looking for a retread off the cut pile over the next couple weeks to backup Dak.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After watching both (Cutler and Prescott) this preseason, I would rather have the young Dak Prescott. I doubt the Cowpies would entertain a trade for a 30 something Cutler when they have a young guy that has shown some ability. They'll be looking for a retread off the cut pile over the next couple weeks to backup Dak.

Good lord. Never change CCS. Never change.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler trade for Prescott rumors starting in 5....4......3.....

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good lord. Never change CCS. Never change.

Glad I could be of some service to you this fine day.

I don't mind Cutler, I don't hate the guy, but he is on the back end of his career along with the money owed to him, I don't see the Cowpies wanting to take him on. Why wouldn't they rather have a cheaper option in Prescott?

edit: looks like they have around $4mm in cap space for this year, so they have some cash to spend if needed.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't expect nothing from this offense this year. We have questionable at best OL, 0 depth at TE, potential but unproven players at RB. A WR corp that we are not sure can stay healthy. A QB whose play doesn't inspire a whole of confidence. Think it's going to be a long year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't expect nothing from this offense this year. We have questionable at best OL, 0 depth at TE, potential but unproven players at RB. A WR corp that we are not sure can stay healthy. A QB whose play doesn't inspire a whole of confidence. Think it's going to be a long year.

Not to mention were dead at cornerback. Like legit ded.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering the commonplace mentality of CCS posters believing in "players leaving the Bears and ballin out", I would probably die of laughter to see Cutler ball out in Dallas and the ensuing shit show on here. Mind you I fucking hate the Cowboys.

Me too:) On both counts.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Maybe. But then again, Dallas seldom does the smart thing. The smart thing would be to trade for Cutler instead of basically giving up their season.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see that side of it too. Cutler is a veteran and, when given weapons, can perform well. His issue in Chicago has been revolving door of coaches, bad OL performance, and limited weapons.