if bennett and hardy both make it to free agency, who would you rather have?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Buyer beware. Did absolutely nothing when Geno Atkins went down. Remember another DE we had that dissapeared when Tommie Harris wasn't putting the pressure on inside?

The overall quality of a DL is just as important as it is on OL. One great player and a bunch of backups does not make for a good OL...and yet somehow people expect big numbers when the guys around Johnson went to shit. It's all about how the unit works in tandem to break down the pocket. You can have the best edge rushers in the league, but if you're not getting push up the middle the QB will simply step up and make the pass time after time.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
The overall quality of a DL is just as important as it is on OL. One great player and a bunch of backups does not make for a good OL...and yet somehow people expect big numbers when the guys around Johnson went to shit. It's all about how the unit works in tandem to break down the pocket. You can have the best edge rushers in the league, but if you're not getting push up the middle the QB will simply step up and make the pass time after time.

3.5 sacks from an DE is pretty terrible. To put it in perspective, Shea had 4.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
3.5 sacks from an DE is pretty terrible. To put it in perspective, Shea had 4.

In 2007, in the middle of his prime, Peppers recorded 2.5 sacks while starting 14 games. He got 14.5 the next year.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Michael Johnson:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ey-should-sign-michael-johnson-this-offseason

The soon-to-be free agent has underwhelmed in terms of sacks, as he has just three this season. However, he has been great in other facets of defensive end play. According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Johnson has been the third-most productive 4-3 defensive end this year.

In terms of getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks, Johnson still has been decent as a pass-rusher—his 35 quarterback hurries lead pass-rushers as dominant as Cameron Wake—but he's also been remarkable against the run. His plus-19.9 run defense grade is second only to Rob Ninkovich.

So, even though Johnson hasn't gotten much attention, he's actually an amazing player.

Reactions: X

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Hardy is good but will cost to much.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
On Michael Johnson:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ey-should-sign-michael-johnson-this-offseason

The soon-to-be free agent has underwhelmed in terms of sacks, as he has just three this season. However, he has been great in other facets of defensive end play. According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Johnson has been the third-most productive 4-3 defensive end this year.

In terms of getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks, Johnson still has been decent as a pass-rusher—his 35 quarterback hurries lead pass-rushers as dominant as Cameron Wake—but he's also been remarkable against the run. His plus-19.9 run defense grade is second only to Rob Ninkovich.

So, even though Johnson hasn't gotten much attention, he's actually an amazing player.

Yes that has the luxury of playing on a stacked D-line. PFF said the same about Ray Edwards when he played on those stacked Vikings lines, then he got paid, exposed, and can't even find his way onto a team now at age 29. I'd pass on offering Michael Johnson mega-bucks, just think your paying more for his frame than him being worth the actual superstar type dollars he'll likely receive.

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
& if Hardy actually hit the market he'd be my #1 target for the Bears and he's a terror and a true game changer from the D-end position. I just don't think Carolina doesn't at the very least franchise him after the year he's had.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I just think it makes to much sense to go Bennett and a safety. I still think Emery takes a real shot at landing Jairus Byrd, listening to his press conference he stated that he needed to add another Safety, his number one aspect on defense he's looking for is scoring on defense and turnovers, and Byrd has scored at least 4 turnovers every year he has been in the league, he had 5 alone last year and he missed the first 5 games and has had two 9 year turnover seasons in his 5 year career.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Michael Bennett really isnt that good.

Based on what? I certainly haven't watched him enough to make that determination but PFF has him rated as the 5th best DE overall and 3rd best in terms of pass rush.

Buyer beware. Did absolutely nothing when Geno Atkins went down. Remember another DE we had that dissapeared when Tommie Harris wasn't putting the pressure on inside?

Again based on what? Michael Johnson ended up the 4th rated DE. He didn't get a lot of sacks but graded out as the 2nd best run stuffer. I certainly wouldn't target him if the aim is to get a pass rusher first and foremost.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright, I looked little further into it for those who are interested in PFF:

Michael Johnson weeks 1-8:
OverallRun DefensePass Rush

Through the final 8 games:
OverallRun DefensePass Rush
6.68.8-3.0

Totals:

Note: Geno Atkins went down in week 9.

Last edited:

Aqbased

Liked Posts:
idk what makes any of you think either of these guys are going to leave.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If i had to pick who I wanted on the Bears, I would pick in this order:

1. Greg Hardy
2. Michael Johnson
3. Michael Bennett

I think Michael Bennett is the most realistic, though. Hardy is probably the least likely out of the group.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If i had to pick who I wanted on the Bears, I would pick in this order:

1. Greg Hardy
2. Michael Johnson
3. Michael Bennett

I think Michael Bennett is the most realistic, though. Hardy is probably the least likely out of the group.

PFF has them ranked #3, 4, & 5 respectively out of 52 4-3 DEs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Michael Bennett will be in our price range and he makes a ton of sense based on need and his brother.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Hardy is very very unlikely.

Bennett on the other hand, is real possibility. He had a good season with Tampa and looked for a big deal last year but couldn't get it. So he took 1 year deal to play in Seattle. And remember, he is in a rotation there. Seattle has a ton of pass rushers. Cliff Avril, Bruce Irvin were used as OLB's and they had Bennett play the 5 technique on some plays and OLB on passing downs. Chris Clemons and Red Bryant often times played the 5T and pulled Bennett out. If you don't know how a 3-4 works, the DE's are more like DT's and inside pass rushers while the 2 OLB's tend to rush the passer off the edge. Sometimes you rush the 5 lineman. However in some plays an OLB will drop in coverage and that DE will put his hand down and rush from the edge. Seattle mixes it up as well as anyone. But snaps are distributed so Bennett wasn't an every down player. His production per snap is very good.

For what is worth, PFF put Bennett as a 4-3 DE and he was ranked 5th in the NFL this year. Hardy was ranked 3rd.

To give an idea of playing time... Bennett 617 snaps, Hardy 891.. Jared Allen, Ninkovich, Chandler Jones had over 1000 snaps. Most full time players over 800.

So the average joe will see 8.5 sacks and say.. oh OK, he's good but not great. Not paying attention to his high run defense scores and limited snaps. Bennett might be every bit as good as Hardy at a cheaper price. And he's Martellus's brother, so hoping they get this done. He could help.

BEARSWAGGER

Liked Posts:
A cheaper alternative could be Willie Young from Detroit. He was PFF's #16 DE with a +7. For Comparison Julius Peppers was number 36 with a -4.4. Maybe a good guy to split snaps with a #1 pick of the draft