If Caleb Williams was draft eligible…

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I could ask you the same question.

Because I'm a Bears fan and they always pick the wrong QB. I just don't understand why you felt the need to reverse the possibility. Did that post just offend you?

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Because I'm a Bears fan and they always pick the wrong QB. I just don't understand why you felt the need to reverse the possibility. Did that post just offend you?
Me? I'm never offended.

My scenario, however, is just as possible as yours.

For the record, I think all three will be just fine...But time will tell.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If it happens - DO NOT - change your name to Midway Williams. /s
105 straight years of QB ineptitude and it’s my message board moniker’s fault.

It’s would be Midway Caleb anyways.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Since this is a QB discussion, I wanted to add that one thing that I think is super interesting about the QB position is its evolution as far as "prototypical" QB measurements. Back in the day, it seemed like a player had to be taller than like 6'4" to have a legit shot at being drafted highly (spare an exception here or there). Now, if you look at the best QB prospects right now (as of today), the tallest one is Drake Maye at 6'4" (and he's not eligible for until next year I believe). Here are some listed QB heights from ESPN.

Bryce Young - 6'0"
Caleb Williams - 6'1"
Max Duggan - 6'2"
CJ Stroud - 6'3"
Drake Maye - 6'4"

Just thought it was kind of interesting that height is no longer such a big deal in regards to QB prospects and wonder whether it'll change the height 'prototypical' requirement for other positions in the future.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Since this is a QB discussion, I wanted to add that one thing that I think is super interesting about the QB position is its evolution as far as "prototypical" QB measurements. Back in the day, it seemed like a player had to be taller than like 6'4" to have a legit shot at being drafted highly (spare an exception here or there). Now, if you look at the best QB prospects right now (as of today), the tallest one is Drake Maye at 6'4" (and he's not eligible for until next year I believe). Here are some listed QB heights from ESPN.

Bryce Young - 6'0"
Caleb Williams - 6'1"
Max Duggan - 6'2"
CJ Stroud - 6'3"
Drake Maye - 6'4"

Just thought it was kind of interesting that height is no longer such a big deal in regards to QB prospects and wonder whether it'll change the height 'prototypical' requirement for other positions in the future.

yah there were rumblings back in the day that tall dudes would have it easier to see / throw over D linemen in todays nfl. Like for instance, Mike Glennon is 6'7.

It's all about arm angles and finding the throwing lanes to whip the ball. For example, Justin has had least 2+ balls that he threw a bullet straight into the helmet of a lineman #panic

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
yah there were rumblings back in the day that tall dudes would have it easier to see / throw over D linemen in todays nfl. Like for instance, Mike Glennon is 6'7.

It's all about arm angles and finding the throwing lanes to whip the ball. For example, Justin has had least 2+ balls that he threw a bullet straight into the helmet of a lineman #panic
It was that and that there's more rules in place to protect smaller framed QBs. Guys back then were tall & had a big frame. Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly, Akiman, Bledsoe.

...you had to have a QB that could take the beating week in and out.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Imagine if Fields gets worse next year and Bryce Young & Stroud both play great.
Then we will stink and be in position near the top of the draft to take a qb next year since QBs are usually available at the top of the draft.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Williams and co aren’t available this year. That’s why you pray to get the #1 pick, auction it off to the highest bidder to get multiple 1sts next year plus high picks this year, and use your $125mil to build up the offensive and defensive lines and buy weapons.

That way you set Fields up for success and if he fails you have multiple 1sts next year to move up if needed and a rookie QB steps into an ideal situation. If Fields flourishes (which I feel is likely in this scenario) then he is setup in an ideal situation and there are still multiple 1sts to move around with and add talent to this team.
This. It is also very important to acquire that extra 2024 period next because if the team that gave up that extra #1 next year ends up sucking (very possible), then the Bears could be in another ransom position with Caleb Williams.

150% chance the Bears are trading down this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This. It is also very important to acquire that extra 2024 period next because if the team that gave up that extra #1 next year ends up sucking (very possible), then the Bears could be in another ransom position with Caleb Williams.

150% chance the Bears are trading down this year.
Bears aren’t going to be in a position to draft Caleb Williams next year

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bears aren’t going to be in a position to draft Caleb Williams next year
Not with their draft pick but it is very possible that the team trading up with them this year could suck again next year. That 2024 first rd pick they trade to the Bears could be another gold mine (look at Det and Seattle and how close they were to getting that #1 pick).

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not with their draft pick but it is very possible that the team trading up with them this year could suck again next year. That 2024 first rd pick they trade to the Bears could be another gold mine (look at Det and Seattle and how close they were to getting that #1 pick).
Looks like you nailed that