Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Rush, dude......

Rodgers is better. I am well aware of that. He posed the question who would you rather have. The easy answer is Rodgers but I am just pointing out that the variables in Rodgers' favor make it that easy.

I am not saying Cutler is better.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck Rodgers. Fuck Brady, Payton, Brees, and every other damn QB in the league. Are they good? Sure, aint no doubt or lie that some are even elite, but Cutler is a Bear. He is Our QB. And He gives us the best chance to succeed. Whats more there to really debate? Until Cutler isnt a Bear, thats who I'll support, as any Bear Fan should. Thats how I see it anyway, not saying it the best method...aka Grossman... But as a Fan, gotta support my Team.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Let me rephrase that, I meant awesome offensive line in comparison to the shit stack that Cutler is expected to play behind. I believe Green Bay's supporting cast is amazing. A lot of people would put GB's WR corps as the league's best in the entire NFL.

Green Bay's offense doesn't rely 100% on pure, amazing, best in the league, talent. It's a masterfully created system offensively. Rodgers has compared the offense to playing 7-on-7 due to the blocking he receives and the crisp routes his WR's run. I am not saying Joe Webb could put up the same numbers or lead the same productivity levels, I am saying that with that system, the amount of times they throw the ball, the quality of the players surrounding the QB, I would not be surprised if there were many other QB's who would find the same success in Gold and Green. It's very easy for me to say Aaron Godgers is amazing. He's a Top 5 QB in the NFL, a category Cutler is not apart of. However I don't think it's fair to compare apples and oranges. The situations are wildly different.

I think you can compare them since they both operate in offenses that are supposed to be open passing games: Green Bay uses a version of the west coast offense and Chicago uses an advanced version of the Don Coryell offense.

I don't believe the offensive coordinator argument is overrated. To an extent it is, but the example you used was Tom Brady's changes. Tom Brady IS the best QB in the NFL, I would expect him to roll with the punches better then a guy surrounded by crap talent, a crapshoot offensive line, and lack of NFL developed mechanics. You could remove Brady's arm and he has enough experience and talent to play through it. Or for that matter, cut the ******'s hair ;)

My point is that elite quarterbacks can perform at a high level even with instability in their play callers. Cutler has struggled with this and this is why I think he'll only ever be a good passer and never an elite passer.

Rodgers is going into his 6th season currently. Cutler's performance in Denver is based off his first 3 years in the league. I don't think that is fair to bring up the fact that he had better talent in Denver because he clearly wasn't developed to the point where he could be wildly successful.

That's one way to look at it. The other way would be that Cutler just finished his fourth full season as a starter (plus about a third of a season from his first year) and Rodgers is just finishing up his third. Time spent on the bench learning is valuable, but not nearly as valuable as playing in real games. Cutler has just under a season more of starts than Rodgers and he's considerably behind him in development.

I am well aware Rodgers is Top 5 and Cutler isn't. However to compare the two isn't really fair in itself either. I think Rodgers is better, yes. However if you give me the option to keep one or the other, out of loyalty to my team, I still pick Cutler. I think with time, he can be creeping into the Rodgers category.

However he could also find himself sifting back to the bottom with Kyle Orton as well. Only time can tell.

At this point Cutler's ceiling is the back end of the top 10/third tier of quarterbacks. He's not going to be in that top 5 territory.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Agreed. But like you said, we don't need Cutler to play on Rodgers' level for us to win a Super Bowl. Even if he plays moderate, the rest of the team is a pick-me up for a less talented quarterback.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Agreed. But like you said, we don't need Cutler to play on Rodgers' level for us to win a Super Bowl. Even if he plays moderate, the rest of the team is a pick-me up for a less talented quarterback.

Agreed, though a good but decidedly not great quarterback probably shouldn't cost your team two first rounders and a third.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Supply and demand.

The Bears needed a QB more then anything and have since McMahon left. Broncos knew how to haggle.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Supply and demand.

The Bears needed a QB more then anything and have since McMahon left. Broncos knew how to haggle.

Unless you're getting an MVP candidate, you don't give up that much. Otherwise you're risking making another Herschel Walker deal.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
We missed out on a solid Michael Haynes or David Terrell.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
We missed out on a solid Michael Haynes or David Terrell.

Just because Angelo hasn't drafted well early on doesn't mean those picks should be shipped off for pennies on the dollar.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
David Terrell was not an Angelo pick.