If they were taking a QB @3 would they have handled things the same?

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Let's say the Bears really liked Watson or Trubisky but only one of them.
How could you insure that someone doesn't trade up with San Fran to take your guy?
The answer would be to make it look like you didn't need or want one of the top QB. So you sign Glennon and pay him a bit more than the market so that he'll take less guaranteed money.
If something does happen and your "guy" is gone, you take your next favorite player and act as though that was the plan all along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
How could you insure that someone doesn't trade up with San Fran to take your guy?
The answer would be to make it look like you didn't need or want one of the top QB. So you sign Glennon and pay him a bit more than the market so that he'll take less guaranteed money.
If something does happen and your "guy" is gone, you take your next favorite player and act as though that was the plan all along.

Conspiracy theories now? FFS!

You didn't hear? Pace had his eyes on Glennon while he was a cub scout for the Saints. :lmao:

Liked Posts:
seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If someone was thinking about trading up to 2 to take a QB they don't give a shit if the Bears signed Glennon or not. It's not like having a QB that can be cut for cheap after one season prevents a team from drafting another another one if they think he's the guy, and other teams are well aware of that.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pace tried to trade for Mike Glennon before the 2016 season as well. Pace really likes something in Glennon.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Nah, I think they like Glennon and will not take a QB in the draft, unless it is later like a Kayaa or Webb to be groomed as the professional back-up.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think Pace really does like Glennon enough to go fully BPA. And that's what Pace wants me and you and everybody else to think. Pace will take QB at 3 if his guy is there. IMO

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I've watched this 36 times and I don't get it. I'm positive it's the one on the right.

While moving the cups she tilts the one with the bearing in it just enough that it rolls off the table (or keeps it flat and pulls the edge off the table allowing the bearing to drop straight down). The duplicate bearing was already between her tits.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Pace said before the combine that he really wants a QB that elevated his program and that he really values experience.
= Watson

Then he didn't meet with Watson at the combine while 10 other teams did.
= No Watson

Then he signed Glennon.
= made to look like a panic move

Then he brought the whole cavalcade to Clemson's pro day.
= Watson

Then he signed Sanchez and said he's our #2.
= No Watson

Then he said he is going strictly BPA in round 1.
= No Watson

5McEzS.gif

Pace is good, really good.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
They would not have had that laughable press conference anointing Mike Glennon.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
That's reasonable. But it almost sounds like you're saying Because Pace likes one of the top QBs he signed Glennon. Pace has consistently signed players in FA for positions for need so that he can take BPA in the draft. Signing Glennon is perfectly consistent with what he's done these 3 yrs.

It's true Pace didn't just sign Sanchez. But saying signing Glennon is specifically a faine to get a draft QB is really a stretch.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know when you do not have any confidence in your GM, when he signs a guy to be your starting quarterback for next season and you had never heard of the guy. This is me right now:(

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't from a financial perspective. Glennon's contract pays him like an okay starter for one year, and a good backup for the following two years. Given that every rookie QB should be given the opportunity to ride the bench for a year and learn how to be a successful pro, I'd say drafting a QB in any round is a good idea.

Hell, if we draft a later round QB, we could still aim for a first rounder next year. Keep adding to your QB pool until you find a good one, and keep adding after that.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You know when you do not have any confidence in your GM, when he signs a guy to be your starting quarterback for next season and you had never heard of the guy. This is me right now:(

No one is surprised; there's only been random talk about bringing him in on here for three years...

:hawked:

mecha

Liked Posts:
I thought you all hated Jay Cutler enough that anyone else was an upgrade? (well, except butt fumble boy)

when did this narrative change?

way I see it is if "their guy" magically goes 1 or 2 or both and they utterly despise everyone else and think rationally and get some monster defensive player at 3 instead, they still at least have a Mike Glennon. if he's more mechanically sound and makes better decisions, then you have a competent quarterback in your midst. if he can be Brian Hoyer and score touchdowns too, then the position was upgraded.

Pace will have to make a run at a QB eventually. whether that's this year or the next is anyone's guess. does the team pay us millions of dollars to make these calls? no? then stop worrying about it.