IGT: NLCS Chicago vs Los Angeles Game 5

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly I'm not that upset. Dodgers are just clearly the better team. Cubs still haven't scored on their bullpen where as the cubs bullpen has obviously been a bit of a train wreck. Only thing that is kind of annoying to me is the way the are going out. Was a pretty great series despite the cubs losing until tonight. Game 5 is obviously going to leave a pretty sour note on the whole season even more so than just losing.

Hopefully the loss will give the team perspective and a goal headed into next season. I mean this series was better than the 2015 NLCS IMO and obviously the cubs came into 2016 on a mission.

Too be honest they were out matched. Jake is the only starter that can elevate into a legit ace even though he is flawed by BB.

What I saw was the Dodgers went into the series with the approach of dragging out AB's and building PC. They executed this plan and got into the pen. Our O did not.

Game 1: Dodgers 4 BB, Cubs: 1
Game 2: Dodgers 9 BB, Cubs 1
Game 3: Dodgers 5 BB, Cubs 2
Game 4: Dodgers 8 BB, Cubs 0
Game 5: Dodgers 2 Cubs 1. Pretty much too late at this point.

So over all we can just put this series into a approach at the plate. The hitters were sitting on their pitch and if it didn't come they took 1B. The Cubs came in and didn't have a strong approach at the plate. Pretty much bottom line. Even in their win they won by the long ball and all were solo shots. That is going to be the crux of the series.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Too be honest they were out matched. Jake is the only starter that can elevate into a legit ace even though he is flawed by BB.

What I saw was the Dodgers went into the series with the approach of dragging out AB's and building PC. They executed this plan and got into the pen. Our O did not.

Game 1: Dodgers 6 BB, Cubs: 1
Game 2: Dodgers 9 BB, Cubs 1
Game 3: Dodgers 5 BB, Cubs 2
Game 4: Dodgers 8 BB, Cubs 0
Game 5: Dodgers 2 Cubs 1. Pretty much too late at this point.

So over all we can just put this series into a approach at the plate. The hitters were sitting on their pitch and if it didn't come they took 1B. The Cubs came in and didn't have a strong approach at the plate. Pretty much bottom line. Even in their win they won by the long ball and all were solo shots. That is going to be the crux of the series.

Not sure I'd agree to the first par ton the starters. First 4 games cubs more or less matched the dodgers starters. Difference was their bullpen was lights out and the cubs wasn't.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
The good news is that I scored tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band, greatest live band in the world

Tedeschi%20Trucks%20Band

Never even heard of them

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd agree to the first par ton the starters. First 4 games cubs more or less matched the dodgers starters. Difference was their bullpen was lights out and the cubs wasn't.

Game 1 they matched. Cubs pen choked.
Game 2: Lester didn't make 5 and pumped out 5 BB. Put 4 innings onto the pen. Dodgers plan worked.
Game 3: Hendricks is a control guy but still gave up 4 runs. Darvish miffed the O. Montgomery gave up 2 pointless runs.
Game 4: Jake had a pretty much normal game. controlled the damage. Best game of the series by far.
5 was a turd. Not sure what was up with Q as they tore him apart.

Over all I agree with you to a degree. The BB's are a sticking point regardless. MR for the Cubs was a factor but not the main factor. I see it as the starters didn't get deep into the game when the Cubs weakness shined.
Also scoring 8 runs in 5 games didn't help the staff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm still thinking that they need a legit ace. Darvish may or may not be a Dodger next season. I would target him in F/A. Outside of that they need to rework the pen. Seeing how most starters were out by the 6th in general getting a 2 inning guy or 2 has high priority.

So: Resign Davis. add 2 MR guys. replace Jake. It could end up costing 50 mil and that maybe lenient.

Brawlers

Liked Posts:
5 games almost in the books

8 runs
7 home runs
16 other hits
5 walks

8th place hitters in entire playoffs.....0-32

Wash series wasn't much better....just an awful 10 game stretch

And the biggest killer was Rizzo and Bryant went 12 for 69 combined in this series with 28 strikeouts and just 1 rbi.

From top to bottom I could not name a guy who showed any plate discipline.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Never even heard of them
He (Derek Trucks) is considered the greatest slide guitarist in the world. Check out his solo at 5:00 got the whole band dancing

[video=youtube;hxaineCMv38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaineCMv38[/video]

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Game 1 they matched. Cubs pen choked.
Game 2: Lester didn't make 5 and pumped out 5 BB. Put 4 innings onto the pen. Dodgers plan worked.
Game 3: Hendricks is a control guy but still gave up 4 runs. Darvish miffed the O. Montgomery gave up 2 pointless runs.
Game 4: Jake had a pretty much normal game. controlled the damage. Best game of the series by far.
5 was a turd. Not sure what was up with Q as they tore him apart.

Over all I agree with you to a degree. The BB's are a sticking point regardless. MR for the Cubs was a factor but not the main factor. I see it as the starters didn't get deep into the game when the Cubs weakness shined.
Also scoring 8 runs in 5 games didn't help the staff.

You're looking at 4 individual games the cubs lost. That's hardly an indicative sample. Hendricks dominated kershaw in game 6 last year and dominated Stras in game 1 of the NLDS. Lester is one of the better post season pitchers active. If you want to argue he's on the down side of his career fine but that was always going to be the case. Point here is that the cubs didn't lose the series because of their starting pitching. They lost it because their bullpen fell apart.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
He (Derek Trucks) is considered the greatest slide guitarist in the world. Check out his solo at 5:00 got the whole band dancing

[video=youtube;hxaineCMv38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaineCMv38[/video]
Yeah, pretty damn good!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The good news is that I scored tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band, greatest live band in the world

Tedeschi%20Trucks%20Band

Same, gonna see them next month at the Fox in Oakland. Saw them there last year when they recorded the live show.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will salute the Dodgers for winning a pennant they clearly deserved, and salute the Cubs for a very good season.

The Cubs advanced farther than most defending champs do, and have much to be excited about. Changes are in store, but they have a smart, aggressive front office staff and money. A good combo!

Thanks for a great ride. Looking forward to more!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
5 games almost in the books

8 runs
7 home runs
16 other hits
5 walks

8th place hitters in entire playoffs.....0-32

Wash series wasn't much better....just an awful 10 game stretch

They ran out of gas. BP blowing game 2 in Washington ended up looming very large. Not to mention they ran into a much more complete team.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I cant understand how you can lose to this dodgers team. They have nobody in their lineup other than Turner that is any good. I know they have good pitching, but still.

What a terrible post. Dodgers are obviously fucking good.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Like sox fans...

Some are already starting , i guess they feel like they won something, their all happy now..

Sad thing for them though this time next year cubs will still be playing again and theyll be watching

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think the White Sox are going to surprise some teams next year. Then in 2019 you see the changing of the guard.

That said, my hats off to this Cubs team.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
After the Cubs won the World Series, I actually wondered if it would kill the up and down emotion of watching them play going forward.

But I quickly learned that losing still really really sucks.

It was like that for us White Sox fans in 2006

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think the Sox will surprise people too. However it takes more time for pitching to develop to a consistent level, than it does for hitting, and have depth of 7-8 starters to withstand eventual injuries.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I read somewhere that the White Sox have never been to the playoffs in back to back seasons. Cubs just made the final 4 three straight times. White Sox fans should have zero to say.....next time they catch lightning in a bottle for more than a year, come talk to us.

Wow, the vitriol you Cubs fans have.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think the Sox will surprise people too. However it takes more time for pitching to develop to a consistent level, than it does for hitting, and have depth of 7-8 starters to withstand eventual injuries.

Which really isn't a problem for the White Sox. They'll have TOR specs available for trade for any missing pieces in the lineup.