CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's also possible the big names didn't want to work in Champaign.
Bill Self and Lon Krueger worked in Champaign. If what you are saying is correct, Thomas shouldn't have fired the coaches since he apparently didn't know enough of them to persuade them himself.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Bill Self and Lon Krueger worked in Champaign. If what you are saying is correct, Thomas shouldn't have fired the coaches since he apparently didn't know enough of them to persuade them himself.
And then Self bolted for Kansas the first chance he got. Kruger went to the NBA. There are no doubts in my mind that both saw Illinois as a stepping stone job.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And then Self bolted for Kansas the first chance he got. Kruger went to the NBA. There are no doubts in my mind that both saw Illinois as a stepping stone job.
Basically.. UofI is not a great job for basketball (or football).

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There is a back story with Self. They needed to pony up more cash earlier. Either way, your comment doesn't refute mine. Top coaches will come to Illinois.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
There is a back story with Self. They needed to pony up more cash earlier. Either way, your comment doesn't refute mine. Top coaches will come to Illinois.
Where did I say top coaches won't come to Illinois? I said it's viewed as a stepping stone position.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Where did I say top coaches won't come to Illinois? I said it's viewed as a stepping stone position.
Which is why Weber was a bad hire. RG wanted a coach who viewed IL as a destination. Wrong criteria. Need to let things play out. Just get a good coach.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Listen, I absolutely loved Ron Zook. I thought it was a huge mistake to fire him. I really, really doubt Illini football will sniff the kind of success they had under Zook in the next 10 years.

As for basketball, yes I agree Weber is clearly better than Groce. But I did want Weber to be fired. However, I was basing that under the assumption that they could attract a top quality coach, something they've never had trouble doing. But this go around, they couldn't get it done. I'm not really sure where they go from here but Groce has to go down as one of the worst bball hires in the history of Illinois basketball. Truly epic disaster.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked Zook. How much of an ass kicking do they get tonight?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The boys picked up their game. Up 35-30.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
At this point there is no point in winning games. I'd prefer for them to get blown out and embarrassed each and every time they play so there is absolutely NO QUESTION at all that Groce needs to be fired. I don't want him to be able to hang his hat on anything and say "look we're getting better."

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point there is no point in winning games. I'd prefer for them to get blown out and embarrassed each and every time they play so there is absolutely NO QUESTION at all that Groce needs to be fired, and they can get a high draft pick. I don't want him to be able to hang his hat on anything and say "look we're getting better."

Always going for the high draft pick. :aj:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Always going for the high draft pick. :aj:

There is no point in them winning at this point. The Tourney is out of reach. The only thing that could happen if they win is Groce gets an extension. If you don't see that, you're very short sighted.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well maybe there will be a new AD announcement next week. Get him in there and still plenty of time to evaluate Groce.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Well maybe there will be a new AD announcement next week. Get him in there and still plenty of time to evaluate Groce.

Anyone under consideration has probably already seen all they need to of Groce, lol.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Anyone under consideration has probably already seen all they need to of Groce, lol.
I doubt anyone in Australia is watching Groce coach basketball, let alone any of these other guys who are currently running their own programs.