I'm in the UCLA DE Laiatu Latu camp.. Are you?

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Chop Robinson will be the best pro de in this class. His football instincts stand out and he has a knack for separating the ball from the QB.
Agree. If Bears go DE, I hope it's Chop. He could be a monster

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I'm out on latu - not only does he seem kinda slender and based on speed, but he has frail bones.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The injury potential worries me and I don’t think he really separated himself from DE2 enough to over come how big a flag the neck is. Maybe his medicals clear - and I’m not a doctor - but have trouble seeing how it’s possible he can go from medically retired to completely fine with 0 effect on his future outlook. Maybe you expect him to have a shorter career, or a higher chance of serious reinjury, or something that is a concern but won’t effect level of play, or maybe idk wtf I’m talking about but I just have trouble believing his neck can possibly be “100% as if the injury never happened” fine.

With that said if Bears aren’t getting a WR at 9 my preference is trade down to the mid teens, pick up an extra 2nd, and let the NFL decide which DE you draft by taking whoever is left of Latu/Turner/Verse. Despite having Sweat I think it’s important to have high end youth “in the cupboard” at the position.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
No....................draft Williams at #1 get him a weapon at #9. Use free agency for a DE Bryce Huff.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Latu’s tape is really good. He’s a stud. Not sure I’ve ever seen a medical retired player come back to play again lol

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
We need second quality DE beside Montez . What about using the #9 nine pick for

Latu?​

Probably the best DE in the draft, but Poles will probably not even have him on his board with that medical history

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Chop Robinson will be the best pro de in this class. His football instincts stand out and he has a knack for separating the ball from the QB.
That's a strong statement, he looked like a late 1st rounder to me, but I will definitely do a review. Any specific games that you were particularly impressed??

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I saw Verse slam a 350 LB tackle into the qb on one play, split a double team on the next, then use arm over, all in the same game, I figured he would be the guy.

That said, I'm good with Latu, even with the medicals.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
When I saw Verse slam a 350 LB tackle into the qb on one play, split a double team on the next, then use arm over, all in the same game, I figured he would be the guy.

That said, I'm good with Latu, even with the medicals.
Latu has a relentless motor and his frame looks like he could put on even more size, he could probably be a 3T in the mold of Henry Melton. Verse is a beast with an insane speed power ratio, but he does disappear at times. I'd give Latu a slight edge if not for the medicals

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Latu has a relentless motor and his frame looks like he could put on even more size, he could probably be a 3T in the mold of Henry Melton. Verse is a beast with an insane speed power ratio, but he does disappear at times. I'd give Latu a slight edge if not for the medicals
This is actual insanity my guy latu is speedy and evades contact but he is terrible against the run, has no power, he would get destroyed on the interior. I don’t think he’s the best edge player even.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Latu is my favorite edge rusher in the draft. He has a lateral quickness move that consistently beats his man. Would be great to partner him with Sweat. I understand the desire to want to help whomever is at QB, but think Latu is a much better prospect than Nabers and Odunze. If we pass on MHJ, then I'd prefer to wait until our 2nd rd pick to target someone like Xavier Legette or Keon Coleman where there is much better value.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
This is actual insanity my guy latu is speedy and evades contact but he is terrible against the run, has no power, he would get destroyed on the interior. I don’t think he’s the best edge player even.
Mmmm, I don't agree he has no power but definitely doesn't have the strength to play 3T at this point which is why I said he can put on weight (strength). He is lightning quick off the snap and at 6'4 265 he barely looks completely filled out. Either way I like him a lot more than Turner or Robinson, with Verse it's more of a toss up

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Latu is my favorite edge rusher in the draft. He has a lateral quickness move that consistently beats his man. Would be great to partner him with Sweat. I understand the desire to want to help whomever is at QB, but think Latu is a much better prospect than Nabers and Odunze. If we pass on MHJ, then I'd prefer to wait until our 2nd rd pick to target someone like Xavier Legette or Keon Coleman where there is much better value.
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Nabers turned out to be the best WR in this draft. He's special with the ball in his hands, and it could be like having two DJ Moore's.

Depends on if Fields is traded for a 2nd rounder to begin with, and what Poles does in FA. I'd really like a DE/DT signed and WR/OT drafted

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there other medicals beyond the neck? Just read that he hurt it 3 or 4 years ago and played well this year (full year?)
What exactly was the injury and the recovery? Broken neck? Fused vert? pinched nerve? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I missed it posted already, but if not, it seems apt for this thread.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
No.

There is a lot of conversation about his medical history and which is the best pass rusher in the draft. But personally, with the performance of the entire OL last year, I want the priority to be placed on offense. Get the best receiving option available at 9, or trade down to get more top 100 picks and use those to keep improving the Offense.

That is not to say that defense should be ignored. This team just needs a significant talent infusion on offense to compete.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are there other medicals beyond the neck? Just read that he hurt it 3 or 4 years ago and played well this year (full year?)
What exactly was the injury and the recovery? Broken neck? Fused vert? pinched nerve? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I missed it posted already, but if not, it seems apt for this thread.
As far as I know, it’s just the neck. It’s actually kind of a mystery. I did some searching some months back and couldn’t find much. He hurt it in practice and required surgery. That’s like literally all the info I could find. In my head, I pictured maybe he had a headset like that boxer that Miles Teller had a movie of like a decade ago. But Latu played 2 full seasons of elite football though after, not just 1. At minimum, he’s one tough kid. I do have a feeling that the teams will get a lot more info soon and those details are probably gonna be scary. Total speculation on my part, but I feel he is gonna slide nasty in the draft and I’d for sure want to grab him. He’s worth a risk at the right spot. He’s a great player and good person by all accounts… must love football to even come back from this. Clearly tough.