I'm out on a limb all alone with Wright and Conte

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Conte will do well if there is a real DL in front of him.

Sorry to break it to you but it was never the DT's faults that Conte sucked at tackling, had poor angles, poor coverage skills. It did help Conte out to have the 7 in front of him playing at a dominant/high playing level. Dont know how you could be satisfied with one of the worst Safeties in the league only performing "well".

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm perhaps the only one who would be okay with them starting again next year side by side in the secondary. Yes even with how bad they were last year especially Conte.

My only reasoning is the Bears had the best defense in the NFL with them starting together in 2012. The one thing that really changed was the lack of pressure on the QB from 2013. We had a top level defense with them before why couldn't we do it again with a better front four?

No you're not, idiot. There have been several people, me included, that have said they looked good last year when the DL was effective.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with agreeing with you on something...

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry to break it to you but it was never the DT's faults that Conte sucked at tackling, had poor angles, poor coverage skills. It did help Conte out to have the 7 in front of him playing at a dominant/high playing level. Dont know how you could be satisfied with one of the worst Safeties in the league only performing "well".

This. People focus on the GB game and how Conte didn't get the message then played zone when everyone else was in man. The real issue is that he sucked at tackling, had poor angles, and generally poor coverage skills ALL YEAR.

Conte is a bad safety.

No you're not, idiot. There have been several people, me included, that have said they looked good last year when the DL was effective.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with agreeing with you on something...

this is a red flag that you should heed.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
This. People focus on the GB game and how Conte didn't get the message then played zone when everyone else was in man. The real issue is that he sucked at tackling, had poor angles, and generally poor coverage skills ALL YEAR.

Conte is a bad safety.

this is a red flag that you should heed.

I would love to go back and watch the film to see what Contes success rate was in 1 on 1 open field tackling. I would say he tackled them 20% of the time while missing and whiffing on the other 80%.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm perhaps the only one that would be ok with Tim Tebow getting a shot on this team.

#teamjesus

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the bottom line is that neither are as bad as the looked with the front 7 as bad as they were. That said, they were just awful and both shouldn't be back and depending on FA neither might not be back. Relegate them to ST if they have to stay.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Not saying I'm a fan of Conte, but a lot of people only remember when he performed poorly. He did have a pick on Rodgers during that week 17 game before he blew that coverage.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Not saying I'm a fan of Conte, but a lot of people only remember when he performed poorly. He did have a pick on Rodgers during that week 17 game before he blew that coverage.

And he also dropped a HUGE interception which led to a tipped reception on a critical down. "But a lot of people only remember when he performed poorly" bahaha oh great, Bears fans remember our Safeties by poor play, thats something to be proud about.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm perhaps the only one that would be ok with Tim Tebow getting a shot on this team.

#teamjesus

Tim Tebow would be an utter failure on this team.

Tim Tebow on the '06 Bears or '10 Bears may have been interesting though. His low turnover approach to football may have complimented those defenses rather well.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tim Tebow would be an utter failure on this team.

Tim Tebow on the '06 Bears or '10 Bears may have been interesting though. His low turnover approach to football may have complimented those defenses rather well.

I'll remember to point this out when he signs here and dominates. I'm probably going to make a thread about it too.

Bones40

Liked Posts:
Conte will be fine. There's no way we re-sign Wright though.

Conte is no All Pro, but I doubt there's a safety in the league that would have looked decent behind the front seven we were trotting out there. I don't think a lot of you realize what a difference that makes. When a RB comes untouched through the front seven with a full head of steam and room to go any direction, there's not too many guys (read: no guys) that are going to consistently make open field tackles on them. They will look foolish the majority of the time, just like Conte did.

As far as his coverage "busts", I just don't know. It's so hard to know whose fault each play is because we just don't know what was called in the huddle, what calls were made at the line, if they were good calls etc. It's hard to make a judgement on that. What we do know, is that on a defense where the right calls and adjustments were being made, he looked more than competent in coverage.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been saying the same for months.

They aren't as bad as last year. If Wright is reasonably priced, he is worthy of another chance.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Conte will be fine. There's no way we re-sign Wright though.

Conte is no All Pro, but I doubt there's a safety in the league that would have looked decent behind the front seven we were trotting out there. I don't think a lot of you realize what a difference that makes. When a RB comes untouched through the front seven with a full head of steam and room to go any direction, there's not too many guys (read: no guys) that are going to consistently make open field tackles on them. They will look foolish the majority of the time, just like Conte did.

As far as his coverage "busts", I just don't know. It's so hard to know whose fault each play is because we just don't know what was called in the huddle, what calls were made at the line, if they were good calls etc. It's hard to make a judgement on that. What we do know, is that on a defense where the right calls and adjustments were being made, he looked more than competent in coverage.

Conte isn't fine. Prime example on that Rodgers to Cobb TD.

The guy is a horse shit safety.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
If we could trade Cunte for a six-pack of Coke Zero, I say pull the trigger Emery.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
look, when your front 7 is playing like the bears' did in 2012, and your corners(way more importantly) are playing at the level they did in 2012, and you're generally asked to do absolutely nothing but make sure no one gets behind you(and your coach is often lining you up 3-7 yards deeper then safeties normally line up) you can get away with just about anyone at safety.

if you think the bears can get back to that this year, then you can justify sticking with conte. otherwise, you need to do better.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We had the best defense in the NFL in 2012?

Like least pts allowed or least yards allowed? It was certainly a much better defense than 2013 but I don't remember it being that good

They were really excellent and were greatly hampered by the terrible offense. Third in points, first in TO and consider that 1,2 Seattle and SF played much softer schedules.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
13 backups ranked higher than them this season.

What they showed this season is that they are below average talents that were propped up by good players around them. They are incapable of making plays at the NFL level on their own.

We will sign a safety and draft one and both players will be replaced.

Conte getting dragged 20 yards by every RB he saw was all I needed to see. Just like McClellin too weak and soft to have an impact at the NFL level.