Improved Secondary and Offensive Line = Successful 2022 Offseason?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
With how you’re talking, you would think Poles decided to roll with the same WR room as last year that sucked that bad.
I have no idea what you're talking about since I didn't mention the WR room at all or even say anything about this year. I'm talking about last year's team and how not scoring points was more instrumental in 11 losses than some blown coverages here and there.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I have no idea what you're talking about since I didn't mention the WR room at all or even say anything about this year. I'm talking about last year's team and how not scoring points was more instrumental in 11 losses than some blown coverages here and there.
They were both issues. And they both needed to be fixed. But it wasn’t possible to completely finish both in one offseason with extremely limited capital.

So Poles took the best players he could to fix the positions he could. He wasn’t trying to fix the “worst area”. He was trying to best improve the team overall. And the receivers aren’t as bad this year as last either…

jive

Liked Posts:
First, nobody said they weren't a liability. But the offense scored 13 points against Baltimore vs. a secondary missing 4 of its top 5 players, 14 in the "I own you game". They only scored 6 in the 1st half vs. Pittsburgh and a special teams TD was the only reason they had a chance in that game. If that's the standard for "defense blew the game" then your standards should be higher for the offense.

Secondly, how many more years do you have to see the Chiefs, Packers, Chargers, Bucs, etc. score 27+ per game to realize 18 ppg isn't good enough? The secondary has such a small margin for error because the offense can't score. You don't think the Chiefs blew coverages among their 253 passing yards allowed per game? Hell, Buffalo almost beat them in the playoffs on a blown coverage, can't get any more costly than that (unless you're Chris Conte). Shit happens. Bad coverage makes a much bigger difference when you can't win if the other team scores 3 times.
You can say all you want about the offense, but in the games against PIT and BAL, if the secondary was able to hold it together for the last drive, we'd have 2 more wins.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You can say all you want about the offense, but in the games against PIT and BAL, if the secondary was able to hold it together for the last drive, we'd have 2 more wins.
You're really hanging that 13 point scoring output on the defense? LOL

And who cares about 2 more wins? Ooooh 8-9 team! Still a losing team. Maybe now they keep Nagy/Pace, because 8-9 isn't that bad. Oh and even if you still fired them, now you don't get one of those secondary pieces everyone in this thread is saying is going to upgrade the team because now that 39th pick is around 45-48.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They were both issues. And they both needed to be fixed. But it wasn’t possible to completely finish both in one offseason with extremely limited capital.

So Poles took the best players he could to fix the positions he could. He wasn’t trying to fix the “worst area”. He was trying to best improve the team overall. And the receivers aren’t as bad this year as last either…
You're arguing things I didn't say. I know both offense and defense needed to be fixed. I know it wasn't possible to get both upgraded completely in 1 offseason without making stupid moves. I have no problems with Poles picking the players he did. I'm just saying, the offense is the reason the Bears sucked last year, and literally every year in the last 35 that the defense and special teams didn't produce astronomical numbers (other than the Trestman 2 year era).

You can throw out whatever 1-offs where the defense made a bad play at the worst time, but the lack of success for the last 35 years comes down to a team that is consistently a FG away from scoring with capable NFL offenses and anywhere from 7-12 points from scoring with teams that are actually good.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You're really hanging that 13 point scoring output on the defense? LOL

And who cares about 2 more wins? Ooooh 8-9 team! Still a losing team. Maybe now they keep Nagy/Pace, because 8-9 isn't that bad. Oh and even if you still fired them, now you don't get one of those secondary pieces everyone in this thread is saying is going to upgrade the team because now that 39th pick is around 45-48.
Are you sure you even know what you’re arguing about at this point? Yikes…

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Are you sure you even know what you’re arguing about at this point? Yikes…
You're taking exception to what I said and not a guy arguing that "we could have won a game where we scored 13 points, but defense!"?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You're taking exception to what I said and not a guy arguing that "we could have won a game where we scored 13 points, but defense!"?
No, the original point to this whole thing was that the defense needed a ton of talent infusion too. You’re talking about last season’s win total…

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
No, the original point to this whole thing was that the defense needed a ton of talent infusion too. You’re talking about last season’s win total…
Find 1 singular post where I said the defense didn't need talent too. Just 1. I mentioned last season's win total in response to a dude saying, "hey we could have won 2 more games and still been terrible if DBs played better".

In fact, every response to me in this thread has brought up last season. I said Peters was a HOFer and Daniels was a 2nd round pick, and everyone (you included) "well actually'd" me to say they weren't that good in 2021. Then somehow that evolved to the coverage losing the Bears games where they scored 13 points and eventually how last season's record would have been affected.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
*IF* they are significantly improved then yeah I would consider that a successful offseason. Im not sold on the OL, its possible they have significantly improved but I dont think its likely they moved the needle much if at all.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
You're arguing things I didn't say. I know both offense and defense needed to be fixed. I know it wasn't possible to get both upgraded completely in 1 offseason without making stupid moves. I have no problems with Poles picking the players he did. I'm just saying, the offense is the reason the Bears sucked last year, and literally every year in the last 35 that the defense and special teams didn't produce astronomical numbers (other than the Trestman 2 year era).

You can throw out whatever 1-offs where the defense made a bad play at the worst time, but the lack of success for the last 35 years comes down to a team that is consistently a FG away from scoring with capable NFL offenses and anywhere from 7-12 points from scoring with teams that are actually good.
The offense is the main reason the Bears have sucked under Nagy/Pace era. I’m more curious to see what the offense looks like with just switching OC and scheme. Talent wise, the offense is pretty similar to what Nagy had last year. But if Getsy can put up 20 points a game, hell anything more than Nagy did, that’s a win for me.

I think it was easier for Poles/Eber to draft defense this year because there were clear holes with no one really able to step up (S, CB). Offense definitely needs improvement but you also have OL like Jenkins or Borom who do have the opportunity to step up.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The offense is the main reason the Bears have sucked under Nagy/Pace era. I’m more curious to see what the offense looks like with just switching OC and scheme. Talent wise, the offense is pretty similar to what Nagy had last year. But if Getsy can put up 20 points a game, hell anything more than Nagy did, that’s a win for me.

I think it was easier for Poles/Eber to draft defense this year because there were clear holes with no one really able to step up (S, CB). Offense definitely needs improvement but you also have OL like Jenkins or Borom who do have the opportunity to step up.
I don't think he necessarily sought out defensive help over offense. But I do think they targeted certain types of players on offense. I think they clearly went for fits on O over simply the best talent. Like there were no OL available at 39 or 48 who were close to BPA (IMO) who fit the athletic profile they want for their OL. And Velus was a better fit than guys like Pickens, Moore or Pierce, who were on the board at WR. I think Velus has more ability to get open quickly and make plays after the catch, and that's clearly what they were looking for over those guys who are probably more talented.

Looking back at draft boards, Gordon was probably a 1st round pick if he ran in the low 4.4s like many were expecting based on his tape. And Brisker was definitely graded as a late 1, early 2 as well. So, I do think they truly had a couple guys they couldn't pass up, and the draft board on offense didn't pan out like they hoped. I do wonder what would have happened if a guy like Cole Strange would have been there or Treylon Burks. I think they'd pick one of those guys over 1 of the DBs.