Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Athletic put out a story this morning detailing how it unfolded. It puts to bed some misinformation and it provides what Poles felt should have been the framework of the deal. The piece is authored by Mike DeFabo (Steelers) and Adam Jahns (Bears). I’ll include some excerpts.

“Bears general manager Ryan Poles left the combine “a little bit surprised” by the lack of trade interest in Fields.

The Carolina Panthers’ trade for former New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldin 2021 — for a sixth-round pick that year and second- and fourth-rounders in 2022 — was considered a potential starting point for interested teams. But Poles quickly learned that wouldn’t be the case.

This year was simply different.

“As you do research and we have conversations, you have to kind of adjust to the market,” Poles said. “There are probably teams that are looking at the draft for guys to fill in. On the back end, playoff teams probably have someone in place. So really it was a smaller pool of teams.”

Hey @nc0gnet0 an NFL GM agreed with me that the Darnold trade should have been the starting framework for the Fields trade. Thank you for including my quote in your signature. It validates that I was in sync with an NFL front office. Now fuck off!

Back to the article…

“There were other teams interested in Fields, including some offering similar draft capital this year, but the difference in compensation wasn’t significant enough for the Bears. They accepted a conditional sixth-round pick in 2025 (which would become a fourth-round pick if Fields plays 51 percent of the offensive snaps in 2024) from the Steelers.

“There were other teams,” Poles said. “The Steelers were just an opportunity where … they have a starter with Russ, but there was more of an open competition it felt like from my perspective.

“There were other opportunities where there were some quarterbacks that were either veteran guys or young guys that had already been paid, so it would have been a tougher situation for (Fields) to get on the field.”

When the Steelers’ trade for Fields was finalized, Eberflus and Poles gathered at Eberflus’ house. Together, they called their soon-to-be former starter.

“What was important for Flus and I (was) really to express to (Fields) this is really a tough decision (but) how much he means to the city of Chicago, our fan base and us,” Poles said. “I thought he was a class act on how he handled the ups and downs of the start of his career.”

They wanted Fields to hear that and more.

“I just wished him the best and told him that I loved him,” Eberflus said. “We’ll continue our friendship.”

Eberflus then called Fields’ former Bears teammates. The team leaders needed to be contacted. The Bears wanted to break the news to them first. Tight end Cole Kmet, receiver DJ Moore and a handful of others received calls.

“(It’s) just being upfront and honest with those guys and they appreciated that,” Eberflus said. “Every guy that I talked to said, ‘Hey, Coach, I appreciate you reaching out and letting me know ahead of time.’ … They were always appreciative of the communication.”

The players were told that both sides felt the Steelers provided the best opportunity for Fields to be successful.

“They understand there is a business part to it,” Poles said. “Just because you trade someone, it doesn’t mean you don’t like them or appreciate them. We thought it was the best move for where we’re at.”

The article contains information from the Steelers’ perspective and more color on the Bears.

The rest is at the link below.

How the Justin Fields trade unfolded and what comes next for the Steelers and Bears

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Excerpt from the Steelers’ perspective:

“Speaking at the owners’ meeting this week, Tomlin again spoke glowingly about the young signal caller.

“Oh my gosh, man,” Tomlin exclaimed when asked what he likes about Fields. “He oozes talent and potential. He’s worn the responsibility of being a franchise quarterback, but still he gets an opportunity to come into a community-like situation and learn from a guy (in Wilson) that’s been doing it for over a decade. There’s a lot of meat left on that bone, and I’m just excited about working to be a part of extracting it.”

While the Steelers provided themselves with two possible answers at quarterback, plenty of questions will linger into the season. As it stands, Tomlin said he’s made it clear to all parties that Wilson is in “pole position” to be the starting quarterback. Part of the reasoning is that the coach feels it’s important to have one quarterback in the driver’s seat to rally teammates and organize informal offseason training sessions.

“Over a 12-month calendar, it’s not only good for him, it’s good for teams,” Tomlin said. “It’s good for receivers, tight ends, running backs, etc. All the things that people that are really committed to winning do this time of year.”

At the same time, Tomlin also said the Steelers are not “resistant to competition.”

“Rest assured when it’s time to compete, Justin will be given an opportunity to compete, and we’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out,” Tomlin said.”

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
All of these rumors and facts about Russell Wilson being a weird, anti-social teammate....I wonder if Pittsburgh has created a recipe for an immediate QB controversy. I could see a divided locker room, who knows.
It’s obvious Tomlin likes Fields and probably realizes it’s best if he becomes the answer. It will be fun to watch. Also, will they pick up Justin’s 5th year option in May or just see how it all plays out?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It’s obvious Tomlin likes Fields and probably realizes it’s best if he becomes the answer. It will be fun to watch. Also, will they pick up Justin’s 5th year option in May or just see how it all plays out?
No way do they pick up Field's 5th year option.

Personally, I think PIT has put themselves in a really weird QB situation. Wilson will likely start for most if not all of the year and if he does suck to the point of being replaced, Fields will only get a couple of games to prove himself. Then what? PIT will have to sign Fields to a contract.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Personally, I think PIT has put themselves in a really weird QB situation. Wilson will likely start for most if not all of the year and if he does suck to the point of being replaced, Fields will only get a couple of games to prove himself. Then what? PIT will have to sign Fields to a contract.
Yes, I don’t remember a time when two guys that were starters in the league (not backups that received starts) the year before ended up on a new team the next year together.

It will be one of the stories to watch in 2024.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Excerpt from the Steelers’ perspective:

“Speaking at the owners’ meeting this week, Tomlin again spoke glowingly about the young signal caller.

“Oh my gosh, man,” Tomlin exclaimed when asked what he likes about Fields. “He oozes talent and potential. He’s worn the responsibility of being a franchise quarterback, but still he gets an opportunity to come into a community-like situation and learn from a guy (in Wilson) that’s been doing it for over a decade. There’s a lot of meat left on that bone, and I’m just excited about working to be a part of extracting it.”

While the Steelers provided themselves with two possible answers at quarterback, plenty of questions will linger into the season. As it stands, Tomlin said he’s made it clear to all parties that Wilson is in “pole position” to be the starting quarterback. Part of the reasoning is that the coach feels it’s important to have one quarterback in the driver’s seat to rally teammates and organize informal offseason training sessions.

“Over a 12-month calendar, it’s not only good for him, it’s good for teams,” Tomlin said. “It’s good for receivers, tight ends, running backs, etc. All the things that people that are really committed to winning do this time of year.”

At the same time, Tomlin also said the Steelers are not “resistant to competition.”

“Rest assured when it’s time to compete, Justin will be given an opportunity to compete, and we’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out,” Tomlin said.”
Good to hear that Russel is the starter as of right now only for offseason purposes. Fields will compete for the starting job. As much as I give a fuck what happens over there in Steelers nation, I have to watch them now and hope Fields wins the job so we can get our 4th round pick if he plays 51% of the snaps.

I honestly feel that Wilson may somewhat willingly give the starting spot to Fields. He is getting paid regardless from the Broncos and a good amount. He is only there for a year and knows Fields can be the future for the Steelers if he can fix what he is lacking. He may (may being the keyword) just say, you know what, I’m fine making millions to just set this Fields guy up to be the starter for the Steelers for the future. What do I have to lose? I’m sitting and teaching and getting paid handsomely and I’m not putting my body at risk. And if there is an injury to Fields, I’m ready to go.

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
“(It’s) just being upfront and honest with those guys and they appreciated that,” Eberflus said. “Every guy that I talked to said, ‘Hey, Coach, I appreciate you reaching out and letting me know ahead of time.’ Except for DJ. He said, 'I'm gonna rip apart your locker room, fella. No turning back now.'… But the rest of the guys, they were always appreciative of the communication.”
A telling quote from the article . . .

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Last edited:

BradyJay

Liked Posts:

Short of Wilson getting inured, I'm not sure he even ever plays for Pitt. They'll end up trading him for better than a 6th and it'll be a new reason for the media to pile on the Bears.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Good to hear that Russel is the starter as of right now only for offseason purposes. Fields will compete for the starting job. As much as I give a fuck what happens over there in Steelers nation, I have to watch them now and hope Fields wins the job so we can get our 4th round pick if he plays 51% of the snaps.

I honestly feel that Wilson may somewhat willingly give the starting spot to Fields. He is getting paid regardless from the Broncos and a good amount. He is only there for a year and knows Fields can be the future for the Steelers if he can fix what he is lacking. He may (may being the keyword) just say, you know what, I’m fine making millions to just set this Fields guy up to be the starter for the Steelers for the future. What do I have to lose? I’m sitting and teaching and getting paid handsomely and I’m not putting my body at risk. And if there is an injury to Fields, I’m ready to go.
That sounds like a nice gesture but I cant see Wilson doing that at all.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ it's like you guys need methadone to kick your heroin (Fields) habit...

Let it go already.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think Fields was foolish in choosing the Steelers.

If I were him, I would have personally called Mike McDaniel and said, "Remember how you asked me to stop embarrassing your defense? How would you feel about using me as an additional speedy weapon in your offense?".

McDaniel would have probably given the Bears a 2024 5th round pick.

Fields would then:
  1. Have a true offensive genius as his head coach
  2. Be one concussion to Tua away from being the starter.
  3. Have a loaded offense if he becomes the starter.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Notice the article never states that Fields had some input in his destination.

Notice the offers were described as "similar."

...some narratives around here have been debunked.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Notice the article never states that Fields had some input in his destination.

Notice the offers were described as "similar."

...some narratives around here have been debunked.
It’s all just sports journalists trying to make a buck. You’ll probably never really know what went down.