Is 2017 Trubisky *actually* similar to 2016 Goff?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It’s become a universally-accepted narrative to say that Trubisky’s rookie season was very similar to Goff’s rookie season. That’s all the national guys can talk about. Every story about Trubisky and the Bears’ future has to lazily mention it.

So it got me wondering if these guys have ever actually sat down with these QBs’ tapes. I remember Goff being fairly despised as a starter and thought of as clearly not a franchise quarterback. That doesn’t seem to jive with how most people view Trubisky (guy with good skills and overall good results considering, but being held back by an anemic offense and some fixable mistakes).

So here are the numbers. Judge for yourselves.

2016 Goff: In 7 games, 54.6 completion percentage. 1,089 passing yards. 5 TDs. 7 INTs. 63.6 QB rating

2017 Trubisky: In 12 games, 59.4 completion percentage. 2,193 passing yards. 7 TDs. 7 INTs. 77.5 QB rating

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The only similarity I see is both upgraded staffs and talent around second year QBs. And we still gotta up the talent part. I don't think they are saying the QBs are similar but are saying the situation is similar. At least that is how I take it.

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
Numbers are one thing, but got to watch the tape too. I just watched Goff’s rookie highlights and almost all his throws were initial reads, no going through progression. WRs getting separation. Can’t really compare the two rookie seasons because that wasn’t the case for Biscuit.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The thing about Goff in the two games I saw of his rookie year is that he was completely overwhelmed at the pro level.

Trubisky is similar in that he is in position to vastly improve. If he puts in the hard work in the offseason, studies the tape, and be the coaches call a game that caters to his strengths, then he will look miles better next year. You could see that he has the physical tools it takes to compete. He'll look better when the game slows down, recognized defenses better, and learns to see the whole field. That takes practice reps and film study.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
It’s become a universally-accepted narrative to say that Trubisky’s rookie season was very similar to Goff’s rookie season. That’s all the national guys can talk about. Every story about Trubisky and the Bears’ future has to lazily mention it.

So it got me wondering if these guys have ever actually sat down with these QBs’ tapes. I remember Goff being fairly despised as a starter and thought of as clearly not a franchise quarterback. That doesn’t seem to jive with how most people view Trubisky (guy with good skills and overall good results considering, but being held back by an anemic offense and some fixable mistakes).

So here are the numbers. Judge for yourselves.

2016 Goff: In 7 games, 54.6 completion percentage. 1,089 passing yards. 5 TDs. 7 INTs. 63.6 QB rating

2017 Trubisky: In 12 games, 59.4 completion percentage. 2,193 passing yards. 7 TDs. 7 INTs. 77.5 QB rating

whose ass did you pull that out of?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;yyq_dfVung8]https://youtu.be/yyq_dfVung8[/video]

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
With all that said, what is Trubisky doing now??! I want to see posts tracking his day to day... is he working out? Practicing the quarterback position? Studying film? Kissing titties??? I’d like answers and I’d like them now!! Anyone...?

AussieBear

chance be infinitesimally ...... goff is goff... trubs is trubs..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The general consensus Goff’s rookie year was that he just wasn’t very good. I’m not making that up.

Fans I spoke to in LA thought he was going to bust. Fans are fans and impatient but even 'experts' didn't like what they saw in his fundamental traits last year.

Trubs looked LOTS better in terms of QB traits this year. Year 1 doesn't necessarily affect year 2 here so we're still in wait and see mode and that holds true for QBs that looked good in year one as well. If Wentz and Goff are your points of comparison, Trubs was closer to Wentz though somewhat nearer the middle.

Goffs resurrection has a lot to do with the system he's currently in. He's arrived but I wouldn't call him great regardless of his #s. He still has some of the same limitations but they've been lessened and that O does a great job of playing to his strengths and minimizing those weaknesses... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Like Wentz, Trubs doesn't have a real limitation and it makes for the ability to run a diverse O like Nagy is talking about bringing here. Whether Mitch steps it up and performs as hoped is another matter but he's got the chops.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goff and Trubinsi have another thing in common.

Goff had Jeff Fisher a Defensive minded coach that was headed out the door.

Mitch had the same thing maybe worse with "don't give a rip" Fox.

But as far as comparing Goff's 1st year stats to MT, it only means Mitch had a better rookie season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With all that said, what is Trubisky doing now??! I want to see posts tracking his day to day... is he working out? Practicing the quarterback position? Studying film? Kissing titties??? I’d like answers and I’d like them now!! Anyone...?

I imagine Trubs be like

Breast.jpg

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From his Instagram, he been living it up in L.A. He was at the laker game last night and this morning he's at Runyon getting his cardio on.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, its Grandma's Boy. Stoner comedies rarely get the A talent.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Goff got some quality receivers in 2017. It remains to be seen whether the same will happen for Trubisky.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
2017 Trubisky reminds me a little of 2000 Brady with a little 1992 Favre mixed in with some 2012 Griffin, with a pinch of 1971 Bradshaw and a smidgin of 2011 Cam Newton, mixed in with a bit of 1998 Manning, not to mention the wheels of a 1961 Fran Terkenton.