Is anyone else nervous about Jenkins at LT?

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suspect they will have him lining up against Mack all through camp to get him used to dealing with elite level rushers. We will find out then whether we have cause for concern.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is it Leno gets killed for his bad play and the minute he's gone there's all of this worry about how bad his replacement will be?

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Dalton is being paid well to be Piñata #1 until TJ gets his sea legs. Then, we get Justin Fields who can scramble. So no, not really...

Canth

Liked Posts:
Because he primarily played RT in college. Also, he's a dominant run blocker and dominant run blockers are typecast as RTs.

Also the arm length question. Anyone with anything less than 34" arms is immediately either made a RT or a G by the various draft experts.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A: NO.

Try tossing up a survey next time when posing a simple question OP. It'd be cool to see votes on Yes / No / no sure, etc.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm going to need a lot of coffee today, because I had the roughest night sleeping ever thinking about this.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
When the alternative was keeping Charles Leno--no. I'm not nervous about Jenkins.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
TJ on his worst day is still going to be better than Leno on his best. Plenty of tackles have played on the left side with "short" arms. Have they officially said he has the job? I would sure as fuck hope not who knows maybe Larry Borom beats him out on the left side and he stays at right. Or they bring in a veteran, in either case no he's gonna be fine.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
TJ on his worst day is still going to be better than Leno on his best. Plenty of tackles have played on the left side with "short" arms. Have they officially said he has the job? I would sure as fuck hope not who knows maybe Larry Borom beats him out on the left side and he stays at right. Or they bring in a veteran, in either case no he's gonna be fine.
They've already said Borom will compete at RT with Ifedi. And if those 2 are RTs.....then that leaves only Jenkins and UDFA guys at LT. They haven't officially said it, and they may bring in an experienced backup at some point, but Jenkins is going to be the LT. IDK how much more writing can be on the wall.

what's the logic in player development in starting Jenkins at left tackle from day 1 but sitting Fields?

QB and LT are vastly different. LT can know 0 plays and just block the guy in front of him (oversimplifying). QB has to learn much more. Plus, there's the logic that you don't want to throw your franchise QB on the field until you know your franchise LT can hold the position down so you don't risk the health of said franchise QB.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
what's the logic in player development in starting Jenkins at left tackle from day 1 but sitting Fields?
Jenkins only has one or two jobs as a tackle. Hit the guy in front of him, and then go hit the next guy. It's not even the hardest job on the line to learn - that would be the center.

Quarterbacks don't have one job; they have EVERY job.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins only has one or two jobs as a tackle. Hit the guy in front of him, and then go hit the next guy. It's not even the hardest job on the line to learn - that would be the center.

Quarterbacks don't have one job; they have EVERY job.
Probably accurate. On the other hand, a single QB can make as much money as all the other offensive positions combined, so one can argue that he's getting paid to do every job on offense ?

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Honestly man, Jenkins has shown that he has the makeup to be a beast. All he needs to do is get consistent with his technique.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Until he proves he can handle it then sure it is a concern. Until he proves he can't handle it, doesn't make much sense to worry about it too deeply.

I do think he would make a better RT than LT but at least if he proves he can hold down LT then going forward we have the flexibility of being able to go LT or RT in FA if there is no internal solution to RT.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I have said from the start he needs work on his footwork if he can not fix it he is going back to RT

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I suspect they will have him lining up against Mack all through camp to get him used to dealing with elite level rushers. We will find out then whether we have cause for concern.
RT or LT.......... I would think that would be the plan anyway. Has anyone really looked at some of the elite pass rushers who come off the left side at least in base defense. Floyd, Garrett, Crosby, Z. Smith, JPP, TJ Watt, JJ Watt, Hunter. Jenkins is going to have to face monster pass rushers no matter which side he plays.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why did so many draft analysts project him as RT?
Because he only played about 500 snaps at LT

... and draft analysts are often too lazy to go deeper into a player than the position he played, unless it is to move to guard.