Is attitude what holds Anthony Rizzo back?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Read this Rosenbloom article this morning. Very interesting thoughts, and I really like a lot of the points he makes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ny-rizzo-rosenbloom-20130827,0,5493394.column

The bottom line, from what I gathered from the interview and the article, is that Rizzo seems to have a sense of entitlement. He has to understand that whether he likes it or not, him and Starlin Castro are the leaders of the team. They were paid the big money to anchor the lineup. I can let the fact that they're both young and relatively inexperienced, so the numbers aren't necessarily the issue with me. Not every player is Mike Trout and comes out of the gate a bonafide superstar. It takes time to learn the game and develop. My problem is the mental lapses, the nonchalant attitude, the inability to take ownership of your actions.

Rizzo was playing well out of the two-hole. The move made sense from a baseball standpoint -- get Rizzo more reps. He'll get more pitches to hit batting second, so it gives him a chance to work through his issues. Obviously, he still doesn't understand that you can't put the cart before the horse. The team's success and improvement is paramount. Hopefully, the light will come on. I don't think the improvement in play will be the issue, it's the attitude and mental approach.

What do you guys think?

Steve Rosenbloom
The RosenBlog
9:19 a.m. CDT, August 27, 2013

Anthony Rizzo was moved back to the third spot in the Cubs’ lineup against the Dodgers on Monday night. He went 1-for-4 and grounded into a double play. Inspiring, no?

But thank goodness his ego has been properly massaged.

In the five games before Monday, Rizzo had batted second, a blow to his ego, he said. But it was a boon to his average. During the bruised ego trip, Rizzo batted .292. Overall this season, he’s hitting .231. Sounds like his ego could use a GPS. Also sounds like Rizzo has confused the object of the exercise. Does this guy get it?

The supposed face of the franchise is obscured by a question mark weaving from his forehead to his chin, and you can’t help but think it’s not too far from turning into a big red X with a circle around it. I mean, this is the Cubs, right?

Is it Rizzo’s inability to hit major league pitching? Is it in his head? You could make a case it’s both. You have to hope he isn’t irretrievable.

As far back as April, manager Dale Sveum was demanding major-league execution and accountability from Rizzo and Starlin Castro.

"There's reasons why people play in the big leagues and have long careers, because they perform on an everyday basis,’’ Sveum said then. “There's reasons why a lot of (guys are) minor league players. You see it all the time; they can't perform at the big-league level. They're pretty good. They're really good players. But you put the third deck on the stadium and something happens.’’

And it has not been something good for Rizzo or Castro. Not much has improved on the field. What’s more, some of Rizzo’s recent comments off the field have sounded immature, if not downright whiny.

“Hopefully, I never go back,’’ Rizzo said of batting second. “It’s more, to be honest, an ego thing.

“I never hit second in my life. You think your second hitter of the game is someone who gets guys over and bunts and slaps. And I think our lineup doesn’t call for me hitting second. . . . I was there and tried to make the best of it.

“He’s the manager. He makes the calls. I just come in to play baseball.’’

Stop playing it badly, OK? And stop sounding weak. You wouldn’t expect that from a guy who has fought through so much, including cancer. But sorry, he sounds soft, especially after Castro went on mental walkabout recently and was benched while hitting as horribly as Rizzo.

“There are nine guys hitting every day, so it’s not just me and Castro’s responsibility,’’ Rizzo said. “It’s the entire team’s.’’

Excuse me, but this isn’t fantasy camp. You want to bat third, kid, you’d better deserve it. I don’t think the Cubs gave you those long-term millions so you could post the 86th-best OPS in the majors.

Batting third isn’t a birthright, although it seems to come with some enabling and/or coddling here. Sveum is batting Rizzo third because the future demands it. The manager said the Cubs’ job is to find a way to make Rizzo and Castro finish well this season so they can have happy thoughts in the offseason. Group hug, everybody.

Shortly after Rizzo tried to deflect accountability and responsibility for the mess he and Castro continued to make, Sveum had another message for Rizzo. It also sounded like a pump-the-brakes message for everybody who thinks 2015 will be the year the Cubs stop stinking.

Sveum’s remarks seemed to officially make an issue of Rizzo’s ability to handle the demands of being “The Man’’ emotionally, mentally and physically.

“Like I told Rizzo, fortunately or unfortunately, it’s part of the gig,’’ Sveum said. “And one thing you don’t want to have happen is not being the focal point.

“You always want to be the focal point when you’re in a big market.’’

Life in the big city is this: You can’t be the focal point when you fail to produce and then sound like you’re running from responsibility. Rizzo has the month of September and all of 2014 to show he ought to be considered part of the future instead of just another example of a sorry franchise’s overrated, underwhelming past.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not a DigitalPlus member, so I can't read it. :shrug:

Attitude, if a problem, can be worked on. Skill/Talent is something he obviously has that can only be refined.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This could point to the problem of not valuing the veterans enough like Schierholtz or DeJesus. These guys should be the leaders, not young players who make a lot of mistakes. From what I understand the Dodgers veteran players just took Puig to task over his continued mistakes. It's fine to be a good, young player, but having mental lapses isn't acceptable.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...puig-about-on-field-off-field-mistakes-082413

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hmmm, I'm not a digital member and I was able to read it no problem. I pasted the text so er'body can read it, in case they have the same issue.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think there is something to be said on earning leadership versus being tossed it.

He's also going thru the "I know everything" age where most feel exactly that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Hmmm, I'm not a digital member and I was able to read it no problem. I pasted the text so er'body can read it, in case they have the same issue.
The quotes in the article certainly back up a sense of entitlement.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This is a pretty crappy assassination article IMO. Rizzo's average is down this year. That's obvious. However, if you look at the numbers to why it becomes a bit more interesting. Rizzo is walking at 11.2% of the time vs 7.3% last year. That's a good sign. His isolated power is .019 points higher. His BABIP is incredibly low at .254. That's .016 points below his career average and .056 points lower than last year.

So, you could make an argument that he's been unlucky. It's too early to know where his BABIP baseline will be. It tends to average around .300 for major league players. But even if it only rebounds to say .270 that pushes his average to .250. And clearly with him taking walks his OBP should still remain pretty high. So, while a .250 average isn't stellar, having a .350 OBP would be quite good. This year he'd be 41st in the league out of 150 people if he had .350 OBP.

Digging even deeper, it looks like his line drives are down 5%. His fly balls are up 8% with about 5% of that being infield fly balls. His home runs on fly balls is down 5% as well. So, it appears pitching has adjusted to him and he's not getting as good contact. But he's 23 so that's a bit to be expected. But the positive is even though his average is down 54 points his OBP is only down 18 points. So, if he brings up his average he should have an even higher OBP.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The quotes in the article certainly back up a sense of entitlement.

The whole "ego" bit is just ridiculous. He's 23, he's not done a single thing of merit yet in the majors. I still think Rizzo is going to be a solid pro in the field and at the dish. I like Brett's point that sometimes, it's better for young players to earn leadership and the respect of their peers as opposed to management and coaches to pull him into an office and say, "This is your team."

As I've said before, I have no problem with Rizzo's play having struggles and needing refinement. If you're talented and put in the work, the adjustments and improvements will come. But some guys go through their entire careers with shitty attitudes that continually rub everyone the wrong way. Some guys can get away with poor attitudes, strictly based off of immense talents. Other guys don't check themselves at the door and transform into leeches who hop from team to team because nobody wants to deal with them.

Now, I'm not saying this is my expectation of Rizzo. It's just odd that he never really came off this way in previous interviews. He always seemed like an even-keeled, positive guy. I know losing is hard on guys, but his number one priority needs to be improvement.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I always said Rizzo will never be the best hitter on a contending team, that said he'd be better served by having other all-star caliber players around him now.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is a pretty crappy assassination article IMO. Rizzo's average is down this year. That's obvious. However, if you look at the numbers to why it becomes a bit more interesting. Rizzo is walking at 11.2% of the time vs 7.3% last year. That's a good sign. His isolated power is .019 points higher. His BABIP is incredibly low at .254. That's .016 points below his career average and .056 points lower than last year.

So, you could make an argument that he's been unlucky. It's too early to know where his BABIP baseline will be. It tends to average around .300 for major league players. But even if it only rebounds to say .270 that pushes his average to .250. And clearly with him taking walks his OBP should still remain pretty high. So, while a .250 average isn't stellar, having a .350 OBP would be quite good. This year he'd be 41st in the league out of 150 people if he had .350 OBP.

Digging even deeper, it looks like his line drives are down 5%. His fly balls are up 8% with about 5% of that being infield fly balls. His home runs on fly balls is down 5% as well. So, it appears pitching has adjusted to him and he's not getting as good contact. But he's 23 so that's a bit to be expected. But the positive is even though his average is down 54 points his OBP is only down 18 points. So, if he brings up his average he should have an even higher OBP.

I don't necessarily think it was an assassination piece more as an examination that, whether Rizzo likes it or not, management and coaches both identify him as a leader. Most of us agree that respect and leadership is earned and exhibited by players. It shouldn't be something just given to somebody. And, based on the answers in this article, Rizzo is focusing on placing blame. When he says stuff like this, it makes you wonder where his priorities are --

“Hopefully, I never go back,’’ Rizzo said of batting second. “It’s more, to be honest, an ego thing.

The bottom line is Rizzo needs to be improving. He's going to get more pitches to hit in the two hole, which gives him a chance to learn. Damn, I guess his 'ego' is more concerned about where he bats in the lineup as opposed to growing as a player and leader, and earning that $40+ million dollar contract he just signed.

And then when he says something like this, it speaks to immaturity. Look, most 23-year-olds are grown men by age, but not by actions. A guy like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper leads by example. They say the right things, they go out and give 100%. When the team plays poorly, they put it on their shoulders and go out and play even harder.

“There are nine guys hitting every day, so it’s not just me and Castro’s responsibility,’’ Rizzo said. “It’s the entire team’s.’’

It is your responsibility! You signed the big contract! You are the one who anchors the lineup. Shit, you're the one who bitched when you got moved in the batting order! Generally, guys who aren't identified as leaders and cornerstones of franchises don't openly talk about their ego. Like I said, I don't necessarily think these are traits that will continue. It's just a bit startling that this is the first time this kind of attitude reared its ugly head.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been over my issues with Rizzo. He seems to guess at a lot of pitches and it makes him look foolish. He doesn't look fastball and adjust. If, he is in a count he likes. He decides if he is swinging before the ball ever leave the pitchers hand. He also makes mental mistake on cut offs and base paths that people seem to ignore but crucify Castro for them. I think Rizzo will be a solid pro because of his walk rate and power but I don't ever think he will be a superstar. He could be. He has the tools, but his approach leaves a lot to be desired in situations. Also, He doesn't really sting the ball so his BABIP will never be above league average a lot.

Let me explain, Baez stings the ball. When he makes contact, the ball is hit very hard almost every time. Those types of players can have higher sustainable BABIP's. It why they believe Baez can hit for average and power. Rizzo makes a lot of weak contact as well as hard contact. He rolls over balls and hits weak pop ups. He is very strong and can hit a ball a mile, but he doesn't sting the ball a lot. He needs to realize his job is not safe. Bryant and Volgy could take his spot if he doesn't perform in the coming years. I also do not like his hands where they are positioned. They are different from last year and seems to not let him drive through the ball. It is almost like he is not ready to hit. He is young and could figure this stuff out easily, but I have my concerns.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't necessarily think it was an assassination piece more as an examination that, whether Rizzo likes it or not, management and coaches both identify him as a leader. Most of us agree that respect and leadership is earned and exhibited by players. It shouldn't be something just given to somebody. And, based on the answers in this article, Rizzo is focusing on placing blame. When he says stuff like this, it makes you wonder where his priorities are --

I feel like there is a double standard given to athletes and their "maturity." He's 24 for crying out loud. When I was 24 I was in my master's program getting drunk 3-4 nights a week and then going to teach classes as a TA hung over and most of my friends were doing the same thing though most of them weren't TAs. I mean honestly what's he supposed to say? I want to be a #2 hitter? And even if he did the default "I wanna help the team" jazz we all know that's fake. Also, it's not like what he said was that egocentric. When you have a huge column to dissect every word then sure it's easy to make it sound that way. It's writers like this that are the reason you rarely if ever get more than a answer that is more than "just wanna help the team"....etc. Even if he's got an ego so what? Bonds had one of the worst egos of the past 2 decades and was a multiple mvp before he even started using the roids.

The reason it's an assassination piece is because he's a young player who's having a normal regression and they are trying to blame it on irrelevant things. Domonic Brown was hitting like in the .230's range over his first 162ish games at a similar age. Then this year he 25 hitting .275. And Rizzo's stats aren't even that bad. If he were hitting .270 with 20 hr's and 69 rbis(he already has 20 hr's and 69 rbis fwiw) would anyone really be bitching? As I said, his OBP and other numbers are fine. It's just his batting average. Rizzo may never be the super star we all hope he can be. But it damn sure wont be his ego stopping him. If that were the problem the game would be filled with all the nicest guys ever.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Let me explain, Baez stings the ball. When he makes contact, the ball is hit very hard almost every time. Those types of players can have higher sustainable BABIP's.

Higher BABIP would be .330ish. .300ish is league average. Rizzo sits at .254. So, at the very least he has 25-30 points to go even if he has a lower than average BABIP. 30 points would up his average to .270 and his OBP to .350 both decent. Simply put, there's definite reason to believe this year's average is abnormal and not a norm.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Higher BABIP would be .330ish. .300ish is league average. Rizzo sits at .254. So, at the very least he has 25-30 points to go even if he has a lower than average BABIP. 30 points would up his average to .270 and his OBP to .350 both decent. Simply put, there's definite reason to believe this year's average is abnormal and not a norm.

That could be a reasoning, it also could be that he does have a hole in his swing (and has had this hole) and it could also be that spray charts indicate where he's gonna hit it. I haven't looking into but that could definitely play into his very low BABIP

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That could be a reasoning, it also could be that he does have a hole in his swing (and has had this hole) and it could also be that spray charts indicate where he's gonna hit it. I haven't looking into but that could definitely play into his very low BABIP

The fact that he's got 5% more infield flies leads me to believe he's just being fooled by some pitches. His contact on pitches in and out of the strike zone is basically the same. He's swinging at a lot fewer pitches outside the strike zone(10%). These are all good signs save for the infield flies. His line drives are down about 5% as well and his fly balls are higher. So, it appears like he's getting under a lot more pitches instead of driving them which makes sense given his low BABIP. Lefties in particular have crushed him where he's batting .195. Looking at his spray charts, he appears to be pulling the ball or going to center 75% of the time. He is hitting .253 to pull and much higher(.341/.295) to center and opposite. So, perhaps there is something to that.

Clearly, the issue has something to do with the pitches he hitting. Whether it's bad luck or poor pitch choice, something is causing him to pop up more pitches than last year and that's what's driving down his batting average. But, there are encouraging signs as his pitch selection in the strike zone seems to have improved. It's also encouraging that he's still making contact even if the issue is he's being fooled.

czman

Liked Posts:
The fact that he's got 5% more infield flies leads me to believe he's just being fooled by some pitches. His contact on pitches in and out of the strike zone is basically the same. He's swinging at a lot fewer pitches outside the strike zone(10%). These are all good signs save for the infield flies. His line drives are down about 5% as well and his fly balls are higher. So, it appears like he's getting under a lot more pitches instead of driving them which makes sense given his low BABIP. Lefties in particular have crushed him where he's batting .195. Looking at his spray charts, he appears to be pulling the ball or going to center 75% of the time. He is hitting .253 to pull and much higher(.341/.295) to center and opposite. So, perhaps there is something to that.

Clearly, the issue has something to do with the pitches he hitting. Whether it's bad luck or poor pitch choice, something is causing him to pop up more pitches than last year and that's what's driving down his batting average. But, there are encouraging signs as his pitch selection in the strike zone seems to have improved. It's also encouraging that he's still making contact even if the issue is he's being fooled.

I am not a baseball advanced numbers guy, so if anyone wants to look this up please do.

The one thing I have noticed is that the Cubs in general seem to getting under a lot more balls since the new coaching staff has taken over. Castro, Barney, Rizzo all seem to be getting way more balls this season. I think that has something to do with the coaching staff.

I honestly think it has led to the higher HR rate than we have seen in the past and the lower BA. The Cubs have hit for power this season. Their BA has been crap.

I wonder if anyone has any trend analysis on this. I am sure someone does, I just don't know where it would be and I don't have the inclination to flush it out.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like there is a double standard given to athletes and their "maturity." He's 24 for crying out loud. When I was 24 I was in my master's program getting drunk 3-4 nights a week and then going to teach classes as a TA hung over and most of my friends were doing the same thing though most of them weren't TAs. I mean honestly what's he supposed to say? I want to be a #2 hitter? And even if he did the default "I wanna help the team" jazz we all know that's fake. Also, it's not like what he said was that egocentric. When you have a huge column to dissect every word then sure it's easy to make it sound that way. It's writers like this that are the reason you rarely if ever get more than a answer that is more than "just wanna help the team"....etc. Even if he's got an ego so what? Bonds had one of the worst egos of the past 2 decades and was a multiple mvp before he even started using the roids.

The reason it's an assassination piece is because he's a young player who's having a normal regression and they are trying to blame it on irrelevant things. Domonic Brown was hitting like in the .230's range over his first 162ish games at a similar age. Then this year he 25 hitting .275. And Rizzo's stats aren't even that bad. If he were hitting .270 with 20 hr's and 69 rbis(he already has 20 hr's and 69 rbis fwiw) would anyone really be bitching? As I said, his OBP and other numbers are fine. It's just his batting average. Rizzo may never be the super star we all hope he can be. But it damn sure wont be his ego stopping him. If that were the problem the game would be filled with all the nicest guys ever.

I didn't read your whole post because I am extremely busy, but please do never compare Rizzo to Bonds. Bonds pre roids was still a top 20 player of all time. I come back to your post later, but the Bonds thing caught my eye. I could agree with the rest of your post but that is something I don't. Im not being a dick but I hate comparing players and Bonds is way to good for Rizzo to be compared to him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I didn't read your whole post because I am extremely busy, but please do never compare Rizzo to Bonds. Bonds pre roids was still a top 20 player of all time. I come back to your post later, but the Bonds thing caught my eye. I could agree with the rest of your post but that is something I don't. Im not being a dick but I hate comparing players and Bonds is way to good for Rizzo to be compared to him.

The talent wasn't the comparison. I was just saying Bonds has always had a huge ego and it didn't matter because he was a great player. In other words, ego only matters when you're playing like shit.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What do I think?

Well, honestly, it's hard to say.

Rosenbloom's point may be valid, but since he always puts the most negative spin on everything he covers, it's difficult to gauge how accurate the assessment may be.

I feel the need to take everything he says with many grains of salt, as he writes with an agenda and enters every situation with preconceived notions. It's hard to determine whether any conclusion he reaches is valid.

IF Rizzo has a sense of entitlement, someone needs to slap the crap out f him. The last thing I need to see on a losing team is a guy who feels he doesn't need to bust his butt.

I want a guy who wants to be in 1st place. So no entitlement from the organization would matter, as they clearly aren't a 1st place team, or anywhere close.

Maybe they're so far off, he feels no pressure to bust his butt.....if the seasons are throw-aways, he has less incentive.

But I want a guy who plays his best at all times without external incentives.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Oh look, another negative article by Steve Rosenbloom for Chicago. What a surprise......

Rosenbloom is either negative or tries to be funny in his articles. He fails at trying to be funny.

One example is he picked the Bears to win 3-2 against the Cowboys last season in an article that he was part of. He also didn't give a legit prediction because he was scared that he would be proven wrong. With the 3-2 pick he could say "See, I told you the Bears would win because the Cowboys have a bad offensive line."