Is corner enough of an immediate and future need to justify doubling up in the draft?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would rather have the Bears draft a cornerback in the first round next year. The Bears have good depth with Tillman, Jennings, Hayden and Frey.

A good pass rush helps out the defensive backs.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
Black Gallagher Bitch!

KTLEGpp.gif

Ya'll wanna smash some fruit?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if Donald is there you take him. but i really would have no problem taking nothing but DT, S, and CB with our picks. maybe an UDFA rb and/or te, if we did that.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would rather have the Bears draft a cornerback in the first round next year. The Bears have good depth with Tillman, Jennings, Hayden and Frey.

A good pass rush helps defensive backs, but what about on quick passes and 3 step drops? There, A CB needs to rely on using their body to position themselves in a way that can defend the pass. Long arms, tall frame, and good press skills are what stops the quick passes, which in turn helps the DL.

Not saying we should focus on CB instead of DT, I am just saying that our current crop of CBs could be improved in a way that would assist our DL as well.
Black Gallagher Bitch!

KTLEGpp.gif

Ya'll wanna smash some fruit?

As much of a fan that I am of Dave, the hammer is obviously superior to destroying fruit than the handgun.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i feel like there is enough talent that if the cards fall right we can get starters in the first three rounds. DT, S and CB.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
I think we'll get a couple that have experience at both the CB & S positions.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:

Until Tillman goes down and we have to match Jennings up with their best guy, which takes a great #2 corner and ruins him, and start Hayden opposite him.

We should definitely have a corner selected by the end of the third round.

i feel like there is enough talent that if the cards fall right we can get starters in the first three rounds. DT, S and CB.

Aaron Donald, Deone Bucannon and Pierre Desir?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Until Tillman goes down and we have to match Jennings up with their best guy, which takes a great #2 corner and ruins him, and start Hayden opposite him.

We should definitely have a corner selected by the end of the third round.

Aaron Donald, Deone Bucannon and Pierre Desir?

This. Or McGill in the 3rd. YES.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This. Or McGill in the 3rd. YES.

McGill's stock has been on the rise, he probably wont make it to the 3rd round.

I could see the second presumed second CB we draft to have experience at safety, or at least project to be a decent safety. I am normally against switching players positions right out of the draft, but if we are planning on having the player ride the pine for a year while learning the ropes then I wouldnt mind them backing up multiple positions while playing ST

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Id go CB before safety in the draft

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk - now Free

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't think the Bears put first round grades on safety very often. It's a lot easier to move to safety from corner than vice versa. Who knows what happens, but I think they'll get a DT and probably a corner in round two. It could be a safety in round two, but I don't expect it in round one. They could draft two CBs or some combination of 3 DBs, but at least one of those will probably be off to the practice squad. I think they are sitting pretty right now and might be able to trade down and still get someone like Hageman, Nix or Tuitt.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I don't think the Bears put first round grades on safety very often. It's a lot easier to move to safety from corner than vice versa. Who knows what happens, but I think they'll get a DT and probably a corner in round two. It could be a safety in round two, but I don't expect it in round one. They could draft two CBs or some combination of 3 DBs, but at least one of those will probably be off to the practice squad. I think they are sitting pretty right now and might be able to trade down and still get someone like Hageman, Nix or Tuitt.

Out of Hage, Nix and Tuitt, I'd rather pass on Nix. The other two are not only scheme versatile but also position versatile, which you need when rushing Brady, Manning and Rodgers. However, each of those three DLmen seem to fit what Emery is looking for better than Donald.

Either way, getting a 300+ lb lineman with a repertoire finesse pass rush moves would be more beneficial to our starting base defense than any other player right now.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Out of Hage, Nix and Tuitt, I'd rather pass on Nix. The other two are not only scheme versatile but also position versatile, which you need when rushing Brady, Manning and Rodgers. However, each of those three DLmen seem to fit what Emery is looking for better than Donald.

Either way, getting a 300+ lb lineman with a repertoire finesse pass rush moves would be more beneficial to our starting base defense than any other player right now.

I agree about size on the interior. Emery might be blowing smoke up everyone's ass with that, but he might not be. Donald is a great 3, but I think Emery wants size at at least one of the tackle spots and if you can get a guy who can also play outside, that's valuable. The thing with Nix is fit and his health.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I agree about size on the interior. Emery might be blowing smoke up everyone's ass with that, but he might not be. Donald is a great 3, but I think Emery wants size at at least one of the tackle spots and if you can get a guy who can also play outside, that's valuable. The thing with Nix is fit and his health.
I doubt its blowing smoke, we got Houston, who will likely be moved to 3 on passing downs. If you pick Hageman, he can move to nose. Tuitt would probably already be at nose, but if he starts at 3tech he can move over as well. Donald, however, could end up going to the bench; taking the nose tackle off the field makes you susceptible to draw plays, which killed us last year.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt its blowing smoke, we got Houston, who will likely be moved to 3 on passing downs. If you pick Hageman, he can move to nose. Tuitt would probably already be at nose, but if he starts at 3tech he can move over as well. Donald, however, could end up going to the bench; taking the nose tackle off the field makes you susceptible to draw plays, which killed us last year.

I hope that's the case, honestly. I think Donald is a nice player, but it's likely the wrong year for us even if he made 14. We need more size at DT on running downs, period.