Is Dax Raymond best TE on this team?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm think they should evaluate the TE position like they've done the kicker position. Bring in a TE consultant, hold a mass tryout, TEs have to catch passes from the JUGS machine from 32, 43 and 48 yards, best man wins.
The first man who starts crying gets to backup Burton.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well, he's certainly not the WORST ;-)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But seriously, judging by what Nagy has done so far, it is almost like we have 2 different TE positions. The traditional, more blocking type, and the flex.

So at this point, this kid is the backup to Shaheen, if he can make the roster. Most likely PS for now. If Shaheen bombs, then Raymond may be the main blocking TE, which doesnt seem to be as important as the flex in this system.

Of course, the ideal is to have an all-world TE that can exceed at both positions...

Yeah..I agree with your principle. Except at 225 lbs Raymond is more like Burton and is the second best route runner/runner.

so...

Zebra- Burton, Raymond
TE- Shaheen, Braunecker

Its also possible the only reason we employ inline TE blockers is because they have to protect Massie.

I was also a bit hard on Burton to present a point. He is a fluid athlete and fierce competitor who isn't a tradition TE, but gets jobs done on a football field. I like him, I just don't think his job would be secure if we had actual NFL TE upper echelon talents around.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Yeah..I agree with your principle. Except at 225 lbs Raymond is more like Burton and is the second best route runner/runner.

so...

Zebra- Burton, Raymond
TE- Shaheen, Braunecker

Its also possible the only reason we employ inline TE blockers is because they have to protect Massie.

I was also a bit hard on Burton to present a point. He is a fluid athlete and fierce competitor who isn't a tradition TE, but gets jobs done on a football field. I like him, I just don't think his job would be secure if we had actual NFL TE upper echelon talents around.

Worth noting Raymond weighed 255 at the combine. I don't know why the Bears are listing him at 225 but that doesn't seem like that could be accurate unless he 's lost 30 pounds in a couple months.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Worth noting Raymond weighed 255 at the combine. I don't know why the Bears are listing him at 225 but that doesn't seem like that could be accurate unless he 's lost 30 pounds in a couple months.

Thank you, he looks 250 in Michigan State tape.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
No wonder the UDFAs TEs are "flocking" to Nagy

Opportunity is knocking
Pretty much. I think Braun is PS eligible.

Burton is primarily a good receiving TE, and Shaheen blocks well enough, and is a tall RZ target. They are a natural pair.

But they have some question marks, so the 3rd TE and PS spots could be very fluid. That 3rd or 4th TE is going to need to show up on ST to open the door.

Still, no doubt Dax and others will have a chance to wow at receiving in TC and preseason... AND if Pace hates Shaheen's receiving, he could end up #3.

Last edited:

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So hear me out, but Burton didn’t do much in Philly before getting paid due to Ertz. He is far from proven, and his potential is suspect for a variety of reasons from size to injury to mental.

Contract aside there isn’t much more than maybe Pace/Nagy hopeful opinion to convince me he is a top tier TE in the NFL...or top 30...or top 60 other than his paycheck and opportunity.

Shaheen I have defended but shows signs of busting. I’m not on solid ground with any opinion on him.

Braunecker....

So Raymond while he went UDFA...is an actual traditional TE who competes naturally at that position doing TE things while the others were undeveloped or hybrids.

I like the body control he displays running, he has good hands, and I think the original question is not as far fetched as it originally appears.

Is Dax Raymond the most legitimate professional NFL TE in this roster?

Will Nagy allow the cream to rise to the top?

And finally...do the Bears even have a top 30 TE on team?

He is my favorite Even if he doesn’t make the team.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm think they should evaluate the TE position like they've done the kicker position. Bring in a TE consultant, hold a mass tryout, TEs have to catch passes from the JUGS machine from 32, 43 and 48 yards, best man wins.

YES!! and when it is over we cut them all and trade a 7th rounder for some unknown Practice Squad hero

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I have no idea who Dax Raymond is, but I'll agree with the OP. The dude is the best hands down.