Is Ian Happ Having His Best Season ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I say he doesn’t hit the ball hard, doesn’t come through in the clutch often, and well, yeah…it may be his best season which tells you why we need to do better.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I say he doesn’t hit the ball hard, doesn’t come through in the clutch often, and well, yeah…it may be his best season which tells you why we need to do better.
His game really doesn't make much sense. His walks are way up, so he's being selective yet he's hitting .240.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He is pretty much getting paid to be exactly who he is. A fringe all-star caliber player, gold glover fielder, and someone who sees a lot of pitches, which does have value at getting starting pitchers out sooner.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He is pretty much getting paid to be exactly who he is. A fringe all-star caliber player, gold glover fielder, and someone who sees a lot of pitches, which does have value at getting starting pitchers out sooner.
I know he won one last year, but his defense is average tbh. He does see a lot of pitches and understands the strike zone, though

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Fringe all stars don’t make fans of their own team cover their eyes when they come to bat.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Fringe all stars don’t make fans of their own team cover their eyes when they come to bat.
Well his war is 3.1 right now and his walk/K rate is 14/22. His issue right now is soft contact, so with some improvement there he essentially becomes what Kris Bryant was in his MVP seasons. Something like 10 more homers and more doubles makes him that. His K rates in the past were near 30 so it is dropping about 8 k's per 100 at bats and lose 2 homers and 2 doubles per 100 at bats.

I am obviously not saying he is that, but there just needs to be better contact from him to be someone who is an incredible asset.

He's essentially traded in lower barrel percentage for longer counts. Not sure why it has happened this way but it definitely doesn't make him a bad player. THere is a reason why he has numerous consecutive on base streaks, he clearly favors that over better contact,

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Happ is meh. His extension is okay I guess but personally I'd have passed as he's very replaceable. Give the money to actual difference makers otherwise sign spare parts like tauchman and gomes and fill in with young guys

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well his war is 3.1 right now and his walk/K rate is 14/22. His issue right now is soft contact, so with some improvement there he essentially becomes what Kris Bryant was in his MVP seasons. Something like 10 more homers and more doubles makes him that. His K rates in the past were near 30 so it is dropping about 8 k's per 100 at bats and lose 2 homers and 2 doubles per 100 at bats.

I am obviously not saying he is that, but there just needs to be better contact from him to be someone who is an incredible asset.

He's essentially traded in lower barrel percentage for longer counts. Not sure why it has happened this way but it definitely doesn't make him a bad player. THere is a reason why he has numerous consecutive on base streaks, he clearly favors that over better contact,
So what you’re saying is…..

If he wasn’t bad at contact, he’d arguably be comparable to someone else who was far better.

Got it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happ is meh. His extension is okay I guess but personally I'd have passed as he's very replaceable. Give the money to actual difference makers otherwise sign spare parts like tauchman and gomes and fill in with young guys
The last place Cardinals have several OF as good or better.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So what you’re saying is…..

If he wasn’t bad at contact, he’d arguably be comparable to someone else who was far better.

Got it.
HIs second half numbers have been much better. He's back to being high slugging, more strikeouts player.