Is Roger Goodell ruining the league?

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
Well they don't and they should also spend that time in the huddle and getting ready for the next play and not show boating, all IMO.

They "should" do that, there fault if there not ready in time. With that said it should be up to the coach to punish and ban celebrating. Not Mr Failwell.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How come the Lambeau Leap is still allowed?

Most of these are just goofy to be banned.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Banned:

-Sack dances
-Home Run Swing
-Incredible Hulk
-Spiking The Ball
-Spinning The Ball
-Throwing or shoving the ball
-Pointing (WTF?)
-Pointing the ball
-Verbal Taunting
-Military Salute
-Standing over opponent
- Dancing

I'm in favor of all of these things being banned. These are adults we're talking about. They need to grow the fuck up.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Players get endorsements off their celebrations alone (Victor Cruz). Or imagine if this rule was in place when Deion played. We would have never witnessed his dance.

deion-sanders-dance-o.gif

How is it right to take something like that away that has no effect on player safety? The league has gone soft. These are practices that have been going on for years and now they want to turn the game into pee wee league football. Please don't turn this into basketball where you damn near have to play in complete silence.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Players get endorsements off their celebrations alone (Victor Cruz). Or imagine if this rule was in place when Deion played. We would have never witnessed his dance.

How is it right to take something like that away that has no effect on player safety? The league has gone soft. These are practices that have been going on for years and now they want to turn the game into pee wee league football. Please don't turn this into basketball where you damn near have to play in complete silence.

I watch football to watch the actual game. I have no interest in watching a clown act after the TD. I don't even watch cheerleaders. Halftime is for drinking and smoking. If I don't want to see hot girls in mini skirts dance, why would I want to watch some 230lb dumbass do it? That has no bearing on the relative softness of the game, to me.

And I'd be quite happy if I'd never witnessed Deion Sanders' entire existence, far less his dancing.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
I watch football to watch the actual game. I have no interest in watching a clown act after the TD. I don't even watch cheerleaders. Halftime is for drinking and smoking. If I don't want to see hot girls in mini skirts dance, why would I want to watch some 230lb dumbass do it? That has no bearing on the relative softness of the game, to me.

And I'd be quite happy if I'd never witnessed Deion Sanders' entire existence, far less his dancing.

People watch football to be entertained, and it just so appends that touchdown or first down celebrations can be entertaining. Players get endorsements off these trademark celebrations too...discount double check anyone? I don't see why they're out to ban it, fans love it. (well most do)

and whats this stuff about you not wanting to see hot girls in mini skirts dancing? lol wait did i read that right?

Liked Posts:
I do question the integrity of his "safety" policy, because I don't think it's all about "safety". I do think he's, in part, using safety to help create a one phase passing game, eliminate the importance of defense & special teams, in order to attract fans that will pay high ticket prices in warm weather markets/Super Bowls. It's starting to look as though it's only a matter of time before K.O. returns are wiped out. I don't believe he should make rules on defending over the middle. I don't like helmet to helmet hits either but it doesn't seem like Goodell is actually out to enforce safety policies as much as he is fines.

A couple of issues that stick out for me.

1) K.O. returns MAY not be taken out of the game one day, & they shouldn't be.

2) Much bigger one, In the long run Defenses are only going to adapt to playing sound defense under the new rules over a few years time, it's just a matter of time, people always adapt or die. The more the league raises the bar by making rules for defenders, the more these athletes are going to welcome the challenge in the back of their minds, adapt to the change & demand. While the league raises the bar on defensive players, they lower it for offensive players by making rules to enable them while, defenses are conditioned to better adapt & play a more sound game. Most on here are aware that it's in most any good athletes nature to welcome most any challenge, whether they're consciously aware of their competitive nature or not. In time, defenses are only going to improve by adapting & Offenses will require another set rules from the league office to get by on.

I understand that the League has always proposed rules to some extent, but not in the manner they currently are to a point of where the natural state of The Game itself as a three phase game may be threatened. I prefer letting the coaches/coordinators & player handle making things happen for the better of offensive/defensive football, not oversight from the league. I look back to when I was a kid & started watching football in the early 1980's & it definitely was a defensive game, but instead of rules to enable offenses, we got something so much better, a bright coach with a brain & a West Coast Offense that totally changed how the game was played up to date. To counter that two bums in New York(Parcells/Belichick) decided to put a strong emphasis on the use of bigger OLB's in a 3-4 Fairbanks Bullough, Buddy Ryan was tweaking the 46, & things equaled out. In time the bar was raised offensively again when Vermeil/Martz decided to plug a Receiving West Coast Halfback into an Air Coryell system which was insane. In turn their division rival (Dungy & Co.) implemented the Tampa 2 which did a helluva a job at changing how teams played Martzs offense. Now, instead of creative thinkers that did a brilliant at evolving the game over the years, we have a commissioner making rules to implement throughout the league, IMO this is not a good thing. Yes, safety is important especially helmet to helmet hit's, bounties, etc., but when it gets to a point of where a phase of the game is on the brink of elimination, & Defense seems to be being frowned upon, I have to at least question the integrity of Goodells actions, & can see that he's an obvious supporter of the "No Child Left Behind Policy".

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People watch football to be entertained, and it just so appends that touchdown or first down celebrations can be entertaining. Players get endorsements off these trademark celebrations too...discount double check anyone? I don't see why they're out to ban it, fans love it. (well most do)

Discount double check is stupid too. All of it is. It's absurd. They're adults. Act like you've been there before, as they say.

and whats this stuff about you not wanting to see hot girls in mini skirts dancing? lol wait did i read that right?

Yeah. Unless you're 14, or particularly terrible with women, chances are you're experienced and desensitized enough that the novelty of seeing cheerleaders jump up and down isn't powerful enough to take your mind out of war-zone (which mine is in every time I watch the Bears - I always assumed everyone's was too). I spend half time either smoking down my blood pressure, or drinking and swearing among comrades.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is the Roy Williams first down celebration still okay?

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're trying to take dancing out of football! The league has gone soft!

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
you can tell who the old, never played a sport in my life farts are.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

So you don't normally "get your popcorn ready" for a game?

TO-Popcorn1.jpg

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Exactly!!! They're really taking out the passion in the game. The "pop" is what sets the tone in a game. Get a big hit and you'll pump up your whole sideline. You can't just walk back to the huddle quietly after getting a clean blindside smack on Rodgers!!