Isn't the reason we got rid of Olsen is because he couldn't block?

AussieBear

i guess looking back.. they should have let briggs and urlacher go early eh and kept the youngin... the pats would have done something like that..

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why?

Because shitty articles like that one try to say as much without actually saying as much?

#thinkforyourself

LOL Here are some actual quotes from Angelo.

“It was a mistake to trade him,” Angelo said, via CSNChicago.co, “I understand he wasn’t the ideal fit in the scheme, but we let our best receiver go. Obviously, it was [Jay] Cutler’s favorite receiver at the time, and we let him out the door.

“That’s on me. I understand what the coaches were saying, but you don’t let your best player — one of your better players — out the door. Everything he’s doing hasn’t surprised me. He’s an excellent player, particularly in the passing game. He’s Newton’s favorite target. I’m happy for Greg; he’s not only a great player, but a great kid. Like Matt Forte, [he has] an insatiable work ethic.”

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Olsen = fatter, slower less athletic Kellen Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL Here are some actual quotes from Angelo.

“It was a mistake to trade him,” Angelo said, via CSNChicago.co, “I understand he wasn’t the ideal fit in the scheme, but we let our best receiver go. Obviously, it was [Jay] Cutler’s favorite receiver at the time, and we let him out the door.

“That’s on me. I understand what the coaches were saying, but you don’t let your best player — one of your better players — out the door. Everything he’s doing hasn’t surprised me. He’s an excellent player, particularly in the passing game. He’s Newton’s favorite target. I’m happy for Greg; he’s not only a great player, but a great kid. Like Matt Forte, [he has] an insatiable work ethic.”

LoL

What is all this "we" jive. Uncle Jerry?

Did Mike Martz trade him for a third round pick?

Did Lovie Smith trade him for a third round pick?

Even when he says "That's on me" it is immediately followed by a shot at his coaches.

But yeah...great kid and great work ethic...just like Matt Forte.

(Another kid Angelo did not want to pay)

mecha

Liked Posts:
LoL

What is all this "we" jive. Uncle Jerry?

Did Mike Martz trade him for a third round pick?

Did Lovie Smith trade him for a third round pick?

Even when he says "That's on me" it is immediately followed by a shot at his coaches.

But yeah...great kid and great work ethic...just like Matt Forte.

(Another kid Angelo did not want to pay)

why is it "we"? I don't know, but if it's a coaches call and the GM has to deal him, that sounds like a "we" scenario to me. as illogical as the deal was.

prior to Martz there were other players misused or played out of position too. certain players had to ride the bench in the "doghouse" for no useful purpose as well. they even had coaches out of position; that's how we got the gift of Tice as offensive coordinator. so I don't think it's just a Martz thing, it's a Lovie Smith thing too.

that's why you fire a lame duck head coach that can't command acquiring good staff after a 10-6 season.

I just killed every bird with one stone. fucking crown me with a forum award now.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why is it "we"? I don't know, but if it's a coaches call and the GM has to deal him, that sounds like a "we" scenario to me. as illogical as the deal was.

prior to Martz there were other players misused or played out of position too. certain players had to ride the bench in the "doghouse" for no useful purpose as well. they even had coaches out of position; that's how we got the gift of Tice as offensive coordinator. so I don't think it's just a Martz thing, it's a Lovie Smith thing too.

that's why you fire a lame duck head coach that can't command acquiring good staff after a 10-6 season.

I just killed every bird with one stone. fucking crown me with a forum award now.

We are going to rename this thread after you.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
why is it "we"? I don't know, but if it's a coaches call and the GM has to deal him

Let's stop right there.

Angelo had to deal him because his employees told him to?!?

Even if it was all a matter of Martz and Lovie ganging up on Uncle Jerry until they forced him to trade away his last successful first round draft pick...it is still Angelo's fault for being the biggest puss in all of football.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The narrative always seems to act like 2010 season didn't play out with Olsen used a ton early on still as a receiving target but at a mid season point suddenly he was no longer Jays top inside target. Bennetts targets and catches skyrocketed

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The narrative always seems to act like 2010 season didn't play out with Olsen used a ton early on still as a receiving target but at a mid season point suddenly he was no longer Jays top inside target. Bennetts targets and catches skyrocketed

As the OL fell apart and QB hits reached appalling levels, they needed the TE to block more. Which is typical of Martz anyway. Oh, and Martz refused to adapt. Fuck Martz, fuck Lovie for not taking leadership, and fuck JA.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Trading G-Reg was one of the dumbest trades. Not only because of the compensation....but Olsen was one of the few young building blocks on offense, and they traded him because Martz didn't have much use for TEs in his offense. Martz proceeded to leave the next season and Olsen has proved to be a very good player in the league. Not to mention he was a 1st round draft pick and they gave him away for a 3rd...JA was pretty terrible.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Trading G-Reg was one of the dumbest trades. Not only because of the compensation....but Olsen was one of the few young building blocks on offense, and they traded him because Martz didn't have much use for TEs in his offense. Martz proceeded to leave the next season and Olsen has proved to be a very good player in the league. Not to mention he was a 1st round draft pick and they gave him away for a 3rd...JA was pretty terrible.
They proceeded to go 7-3 with the starting QB the next season and had the GM gotten gotten a competent backup QB would of been back to back playoff teams.

Then they used that poor compensation to get a give Miami poor compensation for a better receiving talent anyway on Marshall.

I don't get Chicago fans sometimes, it's like the folks still pinning for the Bulls getting Kobe trade which made zero sense unless Deng was duplicated to both be the trade piece and the piece for Kobe to want on his new team

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Was mostly on JA, but Lovie shared blame for not forcing Martz to adapt his offense to include the best pass catcher on the WHOLE FUCKING TEAM (ok, best after Forte - THE FUCKING HB).

Should have included Angelo too...I concur

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
OP's next thread will be "Should the Red Sox have traded Babe Ruth?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ron Rivera said today that he's a very good situational blocker. Couple that with an NFL record 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons for a TE and it shows we really let one get away. See, this is how players perform when they are developed properly.

No we did because martz always undervalued tes. Bizarre thread

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
They proceeded to go 7-3 with the starting QB the next season and had the GM gotten gotten a competent backup QB would of been back to back playoff teams.

Then they used that poor compensation to get a give Miami poor compensation for a better receiving talent anyway on Marshall.

I don't get Chicago fans sometimes, it's like the folks still pinning for the Bulls getting Kobe trade which made zero sense unless Deng was duplicated to both be the trade piece and the piece for Kobe to want on his new team

The fact is they didn't make the playoffs and even if they did, that wouldn't change the fact that it was a bad trade. The guy they traded away is still playing at a high level, and the player they later traded one of the 3rds for (Marshall) isn't on the team anymore. It was just a bad trade for all the wrong reasons. It's not that complicated. They traded their best receiver because the OC didn't utilize tight ends. A year later the OC is out of the league and here we are in 2017, and Olsen is still a great player. How anyone can argue that it wasn't a dumb trade is beyond me.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
You revisionist jackasses can act like it would matter if we hadn't traded him, but the fact is that he wasn't an impact player then... He's improved a bit, but if we hadn't traded him our record in prior years wouldn't be all that much different.