IST: Chicago Cubs (3-2) hosting Cincinnati Reds (4-2)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
One of us is being dramatic.

It's the one who posted this:

The off-season catcher signings appear to be a case of the FO over-thinking things.

They appear to be, after 7 games.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

The off-season catcher signings appear to be a case of the FO over-thinking things.

Lame.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? You're coming to that conclusion after 7 games?

You have completely discounted / ignored the value of framing pitches, and because Lester hasn't been sharp, you've decided Ross adds nothing. Ross is no great bat, but he was one of the few who hit in the opener, and he hasn't played that much.

When I read a scout say he vomits watching Castillo catch, I put value on that informed opinion. The fact Castillo hits a little - and it's far from Piazza level here - doesn't mean he adds value. We were last in the league at the catcher position last year. But you want to stick with the guy because Ross isn't Bench?

Castillo was third in gold glove voting two years ago. I guess that scout vomited. What?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Montero was good enough to fill that void, they didn't need Ross too...

Their going to be in a bind in the next week when Donorfio and La Stella comes off DL and Bryant comes up, figuring out who to stay or go down ..

Im hoping Ross end up with a mysterious injury for 60 days ; ))

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Come on Travis, lets not pull an Arrieta here and fall apart in the 4th after a good start

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Len and them put it in perspective. Bryant is coming up. LaStella is coming off the DL and Denorfia is as well. Alcantara is on the chopping block. So, Ross bring almost nothing but will be on the team because a pitcher has a mental thing on how Ross calls games. The guy who has not shown his best stuff yet. Ross has no place on this team. He is not a valuable asset. Get off the Cubs are never wrong shit.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Len and them put it in perspective. Bryant is coming up. LaStella is coming off the DL and Denorfia is as well. Alcantara is on the chopping block. So, Ross bring almost nothing but will be on the team because a pitcher has a mental thing on how Ross calls games. The guy who has not shown his best stuff yet. Ross has no place on this team. He is not a valuable asset. Get off the Cubs are never wrong shit.

I'd honestly be surprised if Alcantara were on the chopping block. I mean clearly I'm a bit biased toward him. Obviously from an average stand point he's struggled. However, he is still putting in solid at bats and even if he weren't he's arguably the best bench player the cubs have with his versatility and speed. No way I see them sending him down. It's also a bonus that he switch hits.

I think you'd see Olt sent down before you'd see Alcantara if they intend to play Bryant at 3B. If they play him in LF then it would be Szcur. Rosscup is the place holder for La Stella obviously.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Castillo was third in gold glove voting two years ago. I guess that scout vomited. What?

Rafael Palmeiro won a gold glove in a year he played 150+ games at DH.

GG voting is suspect to say the least.

If you believe Castillo is a great defender, fine. But Theo, Jed, scouts and the GM's of teams desperately needing catchers who refuse to consider Castillo do not agree.

I always liked Castillo's bat, and he does a good job throwing out and holding runners. (Thus the GG votes). But nobody in baseball likes his game overall. Nobody.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I had hoped Olt could finally get it together. But I see little indication he will.

I think when Bryant comes up and LaStella and Denorfia come off the DL, we may see Olt go down and never return.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rafael Palmeiro won a gold glove in a year he played 150+ games at DH.

GG voting is suspect to say the least.

If you believe Castillo is a great defender, fine. But Theo, Jed, scouts and the GM's of teams desperately needing catchers who refuse to consider Castillo do not agree.

I always liked Castillo's bat, and he does a good job throwing out and holding runners. (Thus the GG votes). But nobody in baseball likes his game overall. Nobody.

He has the best block metrics out of any catcher. His only knock was framing. That's it. Ross has multiple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd honestly be surprised if Alcantara were on the chopping block. I mean clearly I'm a bit biased toward him. Obviously from an average stand point he's struggled. However, he is still putting in solid at bats and even if he weren't he's arguably the best bench player the cubs have with his versatility and speed. No way I see them sending him down. It's also a bonus that he switch hits.

I think you'd see Olt sent down before you'd see Alcantara if they intend to play Bryant at 3B. If they play him in LF then it would be Szcur. Rosscup is the place holder for La Stella obviously.
What? Alcantara has way more options and hasn't hit a lick. Olt is the only backup to first and the best glove at third. You have 3 coming on the roster. That means 3 have to go.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has the best block metrics out of any catcher. His only knock was framing. That's it. Ross has multiple

I'm not in love with Ross. I wouldn't cry if he was gone. I simply am saying what everyone in baseball says: There's a lot more to the position of catcher than offense.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What? Alcantara has way more options and hasn't hit a lick. Olt is the only backup to first and the best glove at third. You have 3 coming on the roster. That means 3 have to go.

Don't really see the 1B thing as that big of a deal frankly. Rizzo has been pretty healthy through his career and I'd assume Cog could play there in a pinch and possibly Bryant if he's up. Even if that's not the case, I seriously doubt you keep Herrera over Alcantara.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Great job by wood tonight giving the bullpen a breather
Extra day rest tomorrow and be ready for the pads this weekend

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes, it's nice to see him have an outing like this. Hope the pen strands these runners. Either way, nice work by Wood.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro with a web gem and Herrera makes a great turn. Awesome play!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Funny, of the 3 cubs starters this series, the one we thought would get roughed up ended up the best of the 3..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Win #5 in Game #8.

It took twice as many games last year!

#Progress