IST: Cubs(13-10) at Cards(18-6)

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
3 out of the 4 were highly competitive games. Just like when they were winning, do not get to up because they are going to be inconsistent. This is a lull. No need to go over board with it because they will come back and be high again.

Inconsistent hitting was a given with the young players coming up. Young bullpen arms with success in half a season get a pass too. Young and learning is understandable.

Shitty pitching is whats killing them.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cards are a better team right now. All you can really say. This is a bunch of growing pains we are seeing right now with this team. They added Lester. And he is starting to earn it. Montero has been earning his pay check. Rest are a work in progress. Ya they need another top of the rotation and a middle of the order power hitter. (Not Baez) but it is all to be expected that this would be a transition year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cards are a better team right now. All you can really say. This is a bunch of growing pains we are seeing right now with this team. They added Lester. And he is starting to earn it. Montero has been earning his pay check. Rest are a work in progress. Ya they need another top of the rotation and a middle of the order power hitter. (Not Baez) but it is all to be expected that this would be a transition year.

Who do they need a power hitter? Even if you dismiss Baez, you have 2 more waiting in the wings. The team has not come close to hitting for power yet and its coming. Its coming big time in a big spurt. These guys didnt forget how to hit homeruns. Kris Bryant doesnt hit 50 in a year and forget how to hit them in the majors. Rizzo is a proven 30 plus guy. Soler is an easy 20 plus before the season ends. Castro is good for 15 or so. Montero the same. This team will be close to the lead in homers before the season is done.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To add to what SilenceS said, I've said for awhile that HR's are over rated. Rizzo recently said as much about Bryant. This year's cubs team is scoring 4.22 runs a game good for 7th in the NL. They are 8th in the NL in HRs. Last year they scored 3.79 runs a game and were 12th in the NL. They were 2nd in NL in HRs. OBP is and always will be more important than HR.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To add to what SilenceS said, I've said for awhile that HR's are over rated. Rizzo recently said as much about Bryant. This year's cubs team is scoring 4.22 runs a game good for 7th in the NL. They are 8th in the NL in HRs. Last year they scored 3.79 runs a game and were 12th in the NL. They were 2nd in NL in HRs. OBP is and always will be more important than HR.

I think you need both. But I agree. That is why Castro needs to hit lower in the order. His OBA is lower than the guys ahead of him.