IST: Cubs(13-10) at Cards(18-6)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What? Its still over a 35% K rate. Its far from where he needs to be. I dont know what you are reallying besides perception. Baez may never turn it around. Doesnt mean Soler is a lock. Soler is doing exactly what he did AA when people fell out of favor on him. He straightened the path and got in bad habits. They both have long swings and havent been able to lay off the breaking ball. These are legitimate concerns. Its perception.

Soler was rushed to the majors. Most players get 1000 AB's and he got 1/2 that. Bryant is in the same boat. He was rushed also. You would expect an adjustment peroid. But the fact they are playing at this level with limited minor league exposure says alot right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I hope Baez turns it around but I was concerned with him at the start of the season last year at Iowa. He started cold and never really got it going until Bryant got promoted. Then they rush jobbed him up at the deadline. I honestly feel it was to shut the media up at that time. Alcantara made sense as he had more minor league ab's going on and a opening was there to take. Baez did not feel quite right and they kept on pushing his AB's regardless of the results.

Like I said I hope he turns it around but in reality he has not been the same guy that blasted 38 bombs. And I feel it was because of the quality of pitching. Sure he can destroy any pitch he gets ahold of. But....it is about his contact rate right now and his inability to shorten his stroke.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What did I say needed to happen today: Lester needed to give 7 IP and to reset the pen. Strop needs a day off. With Grimm back I'm feeling better about tomorrow and Arrieta potentially keeping the Cubs in another close one.

I also said I would be happy if they end up 2-2 after the first 2 crap fest games. That would make my day.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Montero has hit .407 over the last 10 games. That is a reason why I disliked him sitting on the bench vs a RHSP. Dude has been on fire.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Monetro deal but thus far he's been definitely worth it. Don't think Ross makes sense still but I did read something the other day saying that Castillo has gotten drastically better at framing. So, maybe the idea I've floated that he was essentially brought in as a player coach isn't that crazy though could be Montero helping too. Fangraphs presently has Rizzo, Fowler, and Monetro top three in fWAR on the cubs which considering what they gave up for Fowler and Montero isn't bad. Fowler has been 0.7 fWAR with Montero at 0.6. Castro as a benchmark is 0.2.

Not every trade the front office has made has worked out stellar but gotta say there's not been one where they really should be regretting what they gave up. And trades like the Fowler/Montero and Arrieta deals have brought back a lot of WAR at such a cheap price. We'll probably never get a great insight into the team but I'd love if some one were writing essentially moneyball 2 right now. And if they aren't, someone really should be given how good a story it would be if the cubs finally do break through and win a world series.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wasn't a huge fan of the Monetro deal but thus far he's been definitely worth it. Don't think Ross makes sense still but I did read something the other day saying that Castillo has gotten drastically better at framing. So, maybe the idea I've floated that he was essentially brought in as a player coach isn't that crazy though could be Montero helping too. Fangraphs presently has Rizzo, Fowler, and Monetro top three in fWAR on the cubs which considering what they gave up for Fowler and Montero isn't bad. Fowler has been 0.7 fWAR with Montero at 0.6. Castro as a benchmark is 0.2.

Not every trade the front office has made has worked out stellar but gotta say there's not been one where they really should be regretting what they gave up. And trades like the Fowler/Montero and Arrieta deals have brought back a lot of WAR at such a cheap price. We'll probably never get a great insight into the team but I'd love if some one were writing essentially moneyball 2 right now. And if they aren't, someone really should be given how good a story it would be if the cubs finally do break through and win a world series.

I was all for adding Fowler and Montero as I knew that this team needed more of a vet backbone with all of the kids around. That is why I'm all about trading up for LF also and bringing in a vet there also. It really has little to do with leadership but one less player adjusting to the league or a replacement player playing a filler role.

On catcher....Castillo would not make it through wavers and he has too much potential value going on. Ross under normal circumstances would be in only vs LH starters and no Castillo. But I've also read that Ross is what 38. Castillo is 28 and there are no catchers in the system close. So I get it. Use Ross this year to coach up Castillo so he can be Montero's back up next year. I see Ross as a future manager in the league so it is good to have that presence on the bench going on. The only problem has been with Alcantara in adjustment in Iowa it took away too much versatility on the the bench. Dropping a position player for an extra arm is compounded more so with 3 catchers on the roster. Now when the DH is utilized I see Castillo getting full time play so having that extra catcher then will pay off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So how over blown is the chicago media going to make that whole Castro fake throw thing... Over/Under 2 articles about trading him in the next week.
I think the media will find it humorous more then anything. . Both Rizzo and Bryant had smiles on their face afterwards. . It's a young team and Maddon giving them space to have fun playing the game. .

Good to see Castro loosening up a bit too... he finally on a team with guys his own age. ..

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
In our for what it's worth department, the Cardinals announcers, especially St Louis homer Rick Horton, had extremely high praises for this young Cubs team.

He had stated that when this team starts to hit together, they are going to be scary good next year.

He also stated that if they start to collectively hit together and these young guys figure it out quickly enough, he said a team that everyone expects to be a year off, that next year might become this year. :hi5:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In our for what it's worth department, the Cardinals announcers, especially St Louis homer Rick Horton, had extremely high praises for this young Cubs team.

He had stated that when this team starts to hit together, they are going to be scary good next year.

He also stated that if they start to collectively hit together and these young guys figure it out quickly enough, he said a team that everyone expects to be a year off, that next year might become this year. :hi5:

I'm just glad the rivalry is an actual rivalry again. Say what you will about the losses the past 2 nights but at least the games were worth watching.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I hope Baez turns it around but I was concerned with him at the start of the season last year at Iowa. He started cold and never really got it going until Bryant got promoted. Then they rush jobbed him up at the deadline. I honestly feel it was to shut the media up at that time. Alcantara made sense as he had more minor league ab's going on and a opening was there to take. Baez did not feel quite right and they kept on pushing his AB's regardless of the results.

Like I said I hope he turns it around but in reality he has not been the same guy that blasted 38 bombs. And I feel it was because of the quality of pitching. Sure he can destroy any pitch he gets ahold of. But....it is about his contact rate right now and his inability to shorten his stroke.

If you honestly feel that, Theo thru Maddon need to be fired...Immediately.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Maddon was with the Rays last season. That's one heckuva conspiracy, if he had some control over the Baez call up back then.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Jed was on ESPN radio at the time and he pretty much said right after they promoted Baez (and the Bryant questions starting up that they (the media) should be fine now and he has earned extra cred. Basically now the fans etc have Baez to chew on. Then soon after Soler. They only time lined Bryant. Even Russell got rushjobbed so Bryant was the exception and we all know that has to do with Boras

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Jed was on ESPN radio at the time and he pretty much said right after they promoted Baez (and the Bryant questions starting up that they (the media) should be fine now and he has earned extra cred. Basically now the fans etc have Baez to chew on. Then soon after Soler. They only time lined Bryant. Even Russell got rushjobbed so Bryant was the exception and we all know that has to do with Boras

I think every single one of those guys was a particular circumstance and were called up, or not called up, for different reasons. I think Baez was called up as a reality check and he was then purposely not given a lot of coaching in the big leagues so that he could learn that adjusting on that level wan't quite as easy as he may have thought. Soler was ready to play against better competition. Cuban players get used to playing against older talent at a young age and I think they thought he was getting bored. We've discussed Bryant ad nauseum so I won't even broach that here. Of those 4 Russell was rushed a little due to injuries but the fact remains that he would have broken camp with a lot of clubs to start the year. The Cubs are one of about 1/3 of the teams in baseball to utilize AAA as a developmental league. The other 2/3 tend to bring their kids up straight out of AA and then send them down to AAA if necessary. Theo has spoken about how he thinks AAA is important so it's part of the philosophy. In none of these cases do I think the media had anything to do with it. They might talk about shutting them up afterwards but I don't think they give a rat's patootie about what they think.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think every single one of those guys was a particular circumstance and were called up, or not called up, for different reasons. I think Baez was called up as a reality check and he was then purposely not given a lot of coaching in the big leagues so that he could learn that adjusting on that level wan't quite as easy as he may have thought. Soler was ready to play against better competition. Cuban players get used to playing against older talent at a young age and I think they thought he was getting bored. We've discussed Bryant ad nauseum so I won't even broach that here. Of those 4 Russell was rushed a little due to injuries but the fact remains that he would have broken camp with a lot of clubs to start the year. The Cubs are one of about 1/3 of the teams in baseball to utilize AAA as a developmental league. The other 2/3 tend to bring their kids up straight out of AA and then send them down to AAA if necessary. Theo has spoken about how he thinks AAA is important so it's part of the philosophy. In none of these cases do I think the media had anything to do with it. They might talk about shutting them up afterwards but I don't think they give a rat's patootie about what they think.

Baez: Maturing.
Bryant: Avoid payday.
Soler: Really not sure but I'm guessing it had to do with paying him millions to play meaningless games with little returns to the box office seen.
Alcantara: He filled a need with CF injured at that time. He still fills a need on the team but I believe he needs more constant play at this point in his career vs subbing off the bench. That is why I would like to see him in LF. Him batting #2 adds some speed and power behind Fowler and ahead of Rizzo. With the Soler experiment hitting #2 looking to be over the opertunity looks ripe for him. He is currently at .806 OPS right now. OBP is at .306. That seems to be where he is at as a player. SLG .500. 3 HR's so he can bang out a HR form both sides like Fowler can. It also makes your OF very fast. Personally I like the idea of it..

His BA is at .232 last 10 .268. I feel that is acceptable if he sticks around .270 BA over the next 10. I would push him back up at that point.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Alcantara: He filled a need with CF injured at that time.

Alcantara was called up to fill the injury to Barney at 2B. It was supposed to be a short call up(likely 15 days for the DL) but he hit really well out of the gate so they kept him up plus not long there after they traded Barney and Emilo anyways.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This bullpen makes me so nervous lol.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Alcantara was called up to fill the injury to Barney at 2B. It was supposed to be a short call up(likely 15 days for the DL) but he hit really well out of the gate so they kept him up plus not long there after they traded Barney and Emilo anyways.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a 2 day callup I believe.