IST Cubs at Mets

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly the K issue isn't going away with the prospects. Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Alcantara and Castro are going to strike out a fair bit. I wouldn't be shocked to see more stretches like this in the next couple of years. Soler might be the best in terms of command of the strike zone as a hitter.

Even Soler strikes out quite a bit. High teens, low twenties at pretty much every level

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even Soler strikes out quite a bit. High teens, low twenties at pretty much every level

Right I believe the Arizona Diamondbacks from about 5 years ago hold the team record for Ks in a season. Wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs challenged that mark soon. Also wouldn't be shocked if the offense was above average despite that fact.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right I believe the Arizona Diamondbacks from about 5 years ago hold the team record for Ks in a season. Wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs challenged that mark soon. Also wouldn't be shocked if the offense was above average despite that fact.

2010 DBacks and 2013 Astros are the top 2. With just over 1,500 per season. I can definitely see that happening.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The 2010 dbacks were above average but below 70 wins. Pitching and defense need to be there

TL1961

Liked Posts:
1st and 2nd, nobody out. Three straight outs. Shocking.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yay Baez took his first walk...

And scored because of it. See why I think crap like this matters? I can understand why some would think I'm being too academic about stuff but crap like this does matter. Often people are far too worried about how many RBI's a guy has or how many HRs he hits when stuff like walks and advancing extra bases on a hit are what truly win games.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
And scored because of it. See why I think crap like this matters? I can understand why some would think I'm being too academic about stuff but crap like this does matter. Often people are far too worried about how many RBI's a guy has or how many HRs he hits when stuff like walks and advancing extra bases on a hit are what truly win games.

I can't speak for others, but it's not that I think that walks don't matter... in fact, I think I value them reasonably appropriately. I just wasn't convinced that Baez was never going to take a walk in his MLB career...

I'm being facetious (I know you didn't say that he's never going to take a walk), but my point is that it's way too early to freak out about any of his results. Give him some time to settle in and make adjustments... I mean, isn't that explicitly the reason Hoyer said that he got promoted now? That he needs more time to adjust than some others?

I think all of us should be expecting pretty significant struggles and failures at this point in his very, very young career... like I said, if he's not showing significant improvements all around by like mid-next season, I'll start getting really concerned about his future as a major leaguer... until then, I'm gonna just try to enjoy his hopeful growth and occasional flashes of brilliance...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Why can one enjoy succeses and not criticize failures??? Makes no sense

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Arrieta's curve is filthy.

Pretty good outing so far...

5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 B, 8 K on 76 pitches.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
7 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 9 K on 98 pitches.

Yep, I've got a little mancrush on Arrieta.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
7 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 9 K on 98 pitches.

Yep, I've got a little mancrush on Arrieta.

Never been so happy to be utterly and totally wrong on him. I mean, I liked him as a trade piece for Feldman but I thought his start was unsustainable. Though, with his HR/FB at 4.7% it seems still some what lucky.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
To be good ya gotta crush the bad teams :clap: