CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It isn't going to change. This is a team that plays for the HR, it just is. As shitty as this start has been there are two real bright spots in Schwarber and Heyward both of whom seem to be seeing the plate much better. If you can get .380-.400 OBP out of Schwarbs and .350 out of Heyward the offense looks dramatically different.

On another note it's difficult to see tonight's game being played with the rain expected in Ohio. I don't know that it's a bad thing though.
Clint Hurdle's Productive At Bats is a great list.

Agreed. A rain out couod be just what the doctor ordered.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, I'm gonna pose a question. If you were to make a move to get one player in july who would it be? I've talked about my thought that the front office is going to go for some sort of outside the box type trade. Effectively I was thinking about the team playing like they have as the rationale. Last year they were a team full of good players they felt like they didn't fit together. For example, as much as I may not be Baez's biggest fan the guy clearly has talent.

Anyways in that light, who you got if you could add one player to the cubs in a semi-plausible trade.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Disappointing start to the season, but I think the bats will come along. I'm much more concerned with the pitching staff

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It isn't going to change. This is a team that plays for the HR, it just is. As shitty as this start has been there are two real bright spots in Schwarber and Heyward both of whom seem to be seeing the plate much better. If you can get .380-.400 OBP out of Schwarbs and .350 out of Heyward the offense looks dramatically different.

On another note it's difficult to see tonight's game being played with the rain expected in Ohio. I don't know that it's a bad thing though.

If Heyward can get his OBP up to .350 he should be leading off.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So, I'm gonna pose a question. If you were to make a move to get one player in july who would it be? I've talked about my thought that the front office is going to go for some sort of outside the box type trade. Effectively I was thinking about the team playing like they have as the rationale. Last year they were a team full of good players they felt like they didn't fit together. For example, as much as I may not be Baez's biggest fan the guy clearly has talent.

Anyways in that light, who you got if you could add one player to the cubs in a semi-plausible trade.

I don't think the Cubs have anyone to trade away that would make them better. Like they could trade away Rizzo but the return does not make them better for this season.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Cubs have anyone to trade away that would make them better. Like they could trade away Rizzo but the return does not make them better for this season.

Russell for Machado?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Clearly would make them better, however no where near the better offers the Orioles already turned down

But the Orioles are not going to get the same return on a July 31st trade that they would've gotten prior to the season. They get Russell, under control for the next 3 seasons, while the Cubs get Machado for 1/2 of 2018 and a chance to ink him to a long term deal.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
But the Orioles are not going to get the same return on a July 31st trade that they would've gotten prior to the season. They get Russell, under control for the next 3 seasons, while the Cubs get Machado for 1/2 of 2018 and a chance to ink him to a long term deal.

The Orioles have made it clear that they are looking for pitching and impact pitching at that. That makes your deal very unattractive to them.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Orioles have made it clear that they are looking for pitching and impact pitching at that. That makes your deal very unattractive to them.

Nobody is giving them impact pitching for a Machado rental. He'll be moved but probably for a couple of nice prospects. They're going to have to go full rebuild after this year whether they think so now or not.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

I haven't followed what they were asking for, but I'm skeptical they're going to get the haul they think they are. Such a dumb move not trading him when their bargaining position was stronger. They have no leverage now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I haven't followed what they were asking for, but I'm skeptical they're going to get the haul they think they are. Such a dumb move not trading him when their bargaining position was stronger. They have no leverage now.

Completely agree

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it would be based off of need vs imorovements.

The pen has honestly been the strongest part of the team. A legit closer maybe not required

Hitting: too early still. The line up needs more time to establish vs the first road trip.

SP: again 1 out of 32 starts is just that. 1:32 of the season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No just on a want vs need with no regards:

Russell and minor league pitching for Machado. I believe it would be a stupid deal for the Cubs. Anything less than a WS it looks stupid and you lose 2 high quality D SS’s in the same year with nothing ready in the pipe and a streaky D/O Baez as your depth.

Just about stupid. But talking about making short sighted deals with no regard; basically you are firing me anyways so I’ll give fluff and wreck your long term in return.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If it were Baez and maybe one other interesting piece I think I like this idea more. I wouldn't deal Russell for Machado.

I wouldn't either, not without a long term deal in place for Machado.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
If it were Baez and maybe one other interesting piece I think I like this idea more. I wouldn't deal Russell for Machado.
Wasnt the general consensus last year that Baez was better than Russell?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Wasnt the general consensus last year that Baez was better than Russell?

Consensus from who? Definitely wasn't my consensus and never has been. I think Russell is a better albeit not as flashy defender than Baez and I think he's proven more with the bat at a younger age. People forget how young Russell is. He's only 24 this year. Bryant's break out MVP year was his age 24 year. Russell's K rate was 20.4% in spring training. He's at 8.7% in the 5 games thus far in the regular season with an absurd 17.4% walk rate. He's also hitting .278/.435/.389. Think this is the year Russell is going to break out.