IST: Cubs vs Padres

chibears55

Liked Posts:
2 runs off a guy with over 5 ERA coming in...

Why I have a hard time believing these guys will just all of a sudden turn it around..

They should be crushing the Padres

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Strop and just a 2 run lead smells like disaster....

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Happ homers, Padres padre...I can feel good about a 4-0 lead

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Christopher Kamka @ckamka
Most HR through first 33 career MLB games, #Cubs (1913-present)
10 Bob Speake 1955
9 Ian Happ 2017
9 Mandy Brooks 1925

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Following up the previous comment, Happ now has 18 HR on the year in 242 PAs. So yeah that 50 grade power mlb.com gave him seems a bit light...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Following up the previous comment, Happ now has 18 HR on the year in 242 PAs. So yeah that 50 grade power mlb.com gave him seems a bit light...

Thanks for this. Just nice to see someone post something positive instead of all the crying and complaining that this board is constantly overrun with.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Mike Montgomery was winless in7 starts as a Cub prior to tonight, yet he is a valuable commodity.

I felt the same-still do, actually- about Travis Wood. Versatile guys like that are an asset.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mike Montgomery was winless in7 starts as a Cub prior to tonight, yet he is a valuable commodity.

I felt the same-still do, actually- about Travis Wood. Versatile guys like that are an asset.

I'm pretty sure that he will start from now on. They have been leaning that way anyways from last year but they couldn't find a pitcher that would replace his presence on the pen. So it was easier to sign Anderson and trade for Mills and Butler. Butler is ok other 2 are extended DL cases.

I'm under the opinion that they really need to trade for a guy like Hand. This keeps Montgomery in the rotation and stabilizes the high leverage lefty issue. I'm pretty sure Hand would cost Candy and a arm.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

That was great to see from him..
Hopefully he builds on that.

Be one less SP they would need to get this off season if he can nail down a rotation spot..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Be interesting to see what they plan on doing with him next year as far as playing him everyday(position) or utility role if he starts hitting for average and pops over 20 Hrs this year.

LF ? CF? 2B ?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
DC2irypVwAE8Z0_.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like a decision will come soon on Hayward and the DL. I'm thinking they that they are waiting for Zo to get back myself and insert him into RF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Be interesting to see what they plan on doing with him next year as far as playing him everyday(position) or utility role if he starts hitting for average and pops over 20 Hrs this year.

LF ? CF? 2B ?

Not much will change with Maddon managing. Only Rizzo and Russell never leave their positions. Rest have been moved around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I really hope Kyle starts to hit now. Bryant and Rizzo have performed their best 1-2. That creates a huge drop off. Kyle more off than on. Russell of late hitting. Happ 1-4 1 HR 3 SO's is pretty typical day. Contreras can explode but those days are rare.

Honestly if they continue that 1-2 into the long term they will need to add a core power hitter. Even if Schwarber goes into SS status. Which is a big reason to not trade Eloy. You could have Schwarber, Eloy, Happ 3/4/5 for years.

I was hopping Baez would have been that guy while they were developing but he is not. That said I like him more well rounded vs a over swinging high risk prospect.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This Butler really could be helpful...maybe out of the pen. With all the deep counts, walks and foul balls against him, he really has to bust his ass to get through 5 innings as a starter.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This Butler really could be helpful...maybe out of the pen. With all the deep counts, walks and foul balls against him, he really has to bust his ass to get through 5 innings as a starter.

Think his command is a work in progress but the potential is there obviously. Given how they are using Montgomery i'm kind of inclined to view Butler starts as games where you'd throw those 2 each 4-5 innings as pseudo starters. Obviously when Hendricks is hurt that doesn't work but one of the things that's been lost in the modernization of the game and FA is letting guys take their turn in rotations. In the 80's you'd just throw a guy like Butler out there and let him take his lumps as he grew into what he might be. But in the modern era it's hard to do that because with pitchers who take awhile to develop by the time they get where they are going they are FAs. I genuinely like the idea of piggy backing starters. It's a concept used in minor league ball. There's obviously some issues with it hence why it's not already being used but it strikes me as a solid developmental tool if you get buy in and if you have the right players/ideology.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
2 hits against this crappy pitching...

Not sure how were suppose to expect this team to break out of it and go on a run when the offense is so inconsistent even against bad teams..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Atta boy, Jonny.

Take the 3rd strike when bases are empty.

Yesterday, with two on, you ground into a DP.

Situational hitting!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lose 4 of 6 to Padres ..
Score just 9 runs total off their horrible pitching..

Now 4 in Miami, then 4 in Washington.
3 wins maybe a split